Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home this evening I noticed almost straight away that the car pulls strongly to the right. Am I right to assume this means the tracking needs adjusting? If so, am I best to go to a main dealer, or one of these tyre and exhaust places, or even Halfords? I can't understand how it happened, as I have not hit a kerb, I checked the car and there is no sign it was hit while parked, and there are no signs of kerbing on the wheel covers. I did not notice anything on the way to work. Most odd. Or could this be a power steering issue?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had that happen the other day - not a strong pull though, just a hint, but it seems to have sorted itself out.

I'd get the dealer to check yours out. Best to go straight to them rather than spend money at Halfords, and them tell you to take it back!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elb said:
I had that happen the other day - not a strong pull though, just a hint, but it seems to have sorted itself out.

I'd get the dealer to check yours out. Best to go straight to them rather than spend money at Halfords, and them tell you to take it back!
Yes you may well be right. I do not understand how it seemed to suddenly happen from the start of the home journey.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi, I had the same issue, one day it suddenly started to pull on the left side, checkedtires etc., nothing wrong. Left the car for some 30 minutes, the problemdisappeared. Got the same problemsecondtime, but the steering wheel was pulling to the right.
Pity both cases happened in weekends when dealer don't work.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If it was caused by an implausible signal from a sensor or the PAS motor didn't respond as expected, there may be a fault code registered that the dealer can pull off...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter's new 'Up' is currently back with the dealer after experiencing the same intermittent fault. It pulls mostly to the left but has pulled to the right. I am also insured on her car and drove it whilst she was on holiday, the fault happened whilst I was driving it too. The dealer says no other faults of this nature have been reported to Milton Keynes?. Another fault is the passenger door won't lock. That fault is easier to fix but I am more worried about the numbers of people experiencing the same intermittent pulling fault.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mmm I had this the other day too. I thought I was imagining it, mine was a pull to the right. Not a mega pull, just a feeling of an off camber road.... Let me know the outcome please.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hasn't happened to me yet, but at least I'm aware of the issue now. Bit worrying, I'll be interested to hear what VW have to say about it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had the same issue on Friday after getting my remote key coded.During the drive home the car was steering to the left,at one point i had to pull over as i thought i had a puncture

The tyres were fine and i hadnt hit a kerb or anything so was left with the conclusion that the vw dealer had messed it up lol,glad i checked into the forum this morning as it sounds like quite a few people have had similar issues

Im going to give it a few days to see if it sorts itself out

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm sorry to say but my car kinda developed this same thing today. Right at the start in the morning the steering felt heavy when leaving the parking spot, got better very fast afterwards. It has also been doing it during the day, always only when shutting it down for a while and then going again.

Now that was not the main fault, the main thing is that the car currently wants to go to the left, even when the road banks the opposite direction. Frustrating as you always have to keep it pushed to the right to go in a straight line.

I called the dealers and they could only book it in to have a look at for 6th of september (!). So the best option given was to call volkswagen roadside assistance to come and have a look at it instantly as it sounded to them that it could be a software issue. So RAC is on it's way as we speak, will keep you updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ZillUp said:
I'm sorry to say but my car kinda developed this same thing today. Right at the start in the morning the steering felt heavy when leaving the parking spot, got better very fast afterwards. It has also been doing it during the day, always only when shutting it down for a while and then going again.

Now that was not the main fault, the main thing is that the car currently wants to go to the left, even when the road banks the opposite direction. Frustrating as you always have to keep it pushed to the right to go in a straight line.

I called the dealers and they could only book it in to have a look at for 6th of september (!). So the best option given was to call volkswagen roadside assistance to come and have a look at it instantly as it sounded to them that it could be a software issue. So RAC is on it's way as we speak, will keep you updated.

I had the same issue, posted in this thread:

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/steering-pulling_topic1289_post16328.html?KW=#16328

Copied my post from that thread here:

" Hi

I'm unsure about the steering also, although with different symptoms. Occasionally, when first starting up, the steering seems heavy and won't centre when coming out of a corner. Seems to last only the first couple of corners and then seems fine. Has been looked at by the dealer, of course didn't happen in their hands. However, they have logged a report with VW in case a pattern emerges, apparently VW are keen to catch any snags with a new model, hopefully your dealer has done the same.

They suggested it was the speed sensitive assistance, I was not convinced."

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks X3, it is a bit of a similar problem but still not the same. The RAC guy came, we drove it around, he stated that it is pulling slightly to the left. I will have a dedicated VW van with all the computer equipment come tomorrow to plug it up and see what's going on. They can run software updates and recalibrations as needed. Hope it can sort it out :)

P.S. The RAC guy was over the moon about the car. He loved it, the engine, how it is to drive and how spacious it is.
Edited by: ZillUp

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If any sensor gave an unexpected signal, then it would be logged as an error code. RAC man may even have a reader for VW... It's not OBD2 (as that is the engine)... It has to be a reader that includes the steering system for VW...

·
Registered
217 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
If any sensor gave an unexpected signal, then it would be logged as an error code. RAC man may even have a reader for VW... It's not OBD2 (as that is the engine)... It has to be a reader that includes the steering system for VW...

They have readers, but he said he will not get enough info out with it for this kind of thing.

·
Registered
851 Posts
ZillUp said:
SiJ2000 said:

They have readers, but he said he will not get enough info out with it for this kind of thing.
Great thread. I'll be following this one keenly. Is this the risk we take when buying a car in its first year of service? They say never buy a new version of any software for your PC - always wait for the first service pack to come out. I wonder if the same principle applies to cars?

·
Registered
12 Posts
ZillUp said:
Thanks X3, it is a bit of a similar problem but still not the same. The RAC guy came, we drove it around, he stated that it is pulling slightly to the left. I will have a dedicated VW van with all the computer equipment come tomorrow to plug it up and see what's going on. They can run software updates and recalibrations as needed. Hope it can sort it out :)

P.S. The RAC guy was over the moon about the car. He loved it, the engine, how it is to drive and how spacious it is.

I think the heavy steering onstart upis the same problem, you should advise VW if it still exists.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So i had the Volkswagen dedicated van come to my work today to have a look.

The computer did not give a fault in the systems, but the guy did say the steering might feel a bit heavier then supposed and at high speed the car does pull slightly to the left.

So now Volkswagen assistance will provide me with a hire car for 48 hours, take the Up! to the dealers to have it checked upon asap. He also told me that if the problem would be with the engine or other things it would not be "as big of a deal", but anything to do with brakes or the steering of the car it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm kinda hoping this has nothing to do with the car being built during the summer holiday weeks in Slovakia!

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Car is now at dealers, I have a brand new 12-plated Golf for the meanwhile as courtesy hire with every imaginable accessory. TDI BMT, seems to do good mileage and packs a huge punch

1 - 20 of 56 Posts