Up Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had this problem with my VW Up for 6months to a year now. At speeds above 60mph it sometimes vibrates very noticeably throughout the car.
Additionally its sometimes wont want to drive straight, it wants to turn to the left so you have to hold the steering wheel to stop it going left. When you let go of the steering wheel it wants to be about 15 degrees to the left. But again its intermittent. When i put air in my tyres the veering stops. Ive taken it to a garage where it was tracked/balanced but thats not seemed to have corrected the issue. Now the front passenger tyre is warn and due for replacement - but it was only replaced 16 months ago. And now there is movement in the steering wheel according to the mot. Dont know what to do about it. Especially when the garage dont know/cba fixing the issue. Any ideas? Its a 2012 take up with 52k miles

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Obvious causes of your issue are ;_ Tracking out Have they tracked it properly ? If you've worn a tyre out in 16 months, it's unlikely. that they have
Wheel bearing on that side _ unlikely at 52000 miles.
Wheel & tyre unbalanced, could well be, I've seen some numpty wheel balancing in my time, especially if they put an inexperienced kid on it.
Have you hit a kerb, or something else in the past with that front corner ? - Steering / suspension deranged.
Sounds like that corner front tyre has a slow puncture, as the veering stops when you inflate the tyre, (also that will have contributed to the tyre wearing out early).
Does the vibration stop too when you inflate the tyre ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obvious causes of your issue are ;_ Tracking out Have they tracked it properly ? If you've worn a tyre out in 16 months, it's unlikely. that they have
Wheel bearing on that side _ unlikely at 52000 miles.
Wheel & tyre unbalanced, could well be, I've seen some numpty wheel balancing in my time, especially if they put an inexperienced kid on it.
Have you hit a kerb, or something else in the past with that front corner ? - Steering / suspension deranged.
Sounds like that corner front tyre has a slow puncture, as the veering stops when you inflate the tyre, (also that will have contributed to the tyre wearing out early).
Does the vibration stop too when you inflate the tyre ?
I have driven the car often onto the kerb so I may have damaged it.
How can I prove if they've tracked it properly?

no the vibration is still there even when the tyres inflated. Its hard to say for sure though, because I only drive on the motorway every few months which is the only time I notice the issue

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have driven the car often onto the kerb so I may have damaged it.
How can I prove if they've tracked it properly?

no the vibration is still there even when the tyres inflated. Its hard to say for sure though, because I only drive on the motorway every few months which is the only time I notice the issue
Never drive up a kerb in any car!

·
Registered
95 Posts
If its intermittent (tracking is either right or wrong) where is the tyre worn - all over or one side of the tread ? - its sounds like there may be a fault with the electric steering, not sure how it works but there will sensors on it telling the system what position the steering is at, as above don't keep driving up kerbs it does so much damage to tyres and steering, if you must, just do it gently

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had a guy many years ago with a 1 year old Rover 213 bought from our dealership convinced his car had been involved in an accident because the steering pulled to the left. I took it out a few times but found out it was just the road camber causing it to veer to the left when you took your hands off the wheel. Tyres on an Up should last at least 25k unless the tracking is out or you are a loon at the lights. Probably best to get it checked again. Agree with Vaultboy too, try not to drive up kerbs as this will probably affect the geometry. It's not a Land Rover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If its intermittent (tracking is either right or wrong) where is the tyre worn - all over or one side of the tread ? - its sounds like there may be a fault with the electric steering, not sure how it works but there will sensors on it telling the system what position the steering is at, as above don't keep driving up kerbs it does so much damage to tyres and steering, if you must, just do it gently
More worn on the outer edges.... ie bald 😳
Think i may take it to another garage for a 2nd opinion

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Definitely out of track !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Its toeing out big time, tracking is definitely out, I would take it to a reputable garage for checking, do NOT use Kwikshit - o/s tyre is past its well by judging from the cracking as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its toeing out big time, tracking is definitely out, I would take it to a reputable garage for c
hecking, do NOT use Kwikshit - o/s tyre is past its well by judging from the cracking as well
Yea i dont know if you can see it but the FP typre looks like its points outwards compares to the FD tyre

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
i usually go to protyre for tracking, theyre alright, decen price and friendly and reliable too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts