Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please can anyone offer advice. My wife’s 2014 1ltr (non auto stop/start) Up ran perfectly this week. no warning lights etc. The car has been used less the past month but still gets a couple of short runs a week. But yesterday it refused to even turn over. Theres a clicking noise coming from the ignition switch area and the dials flicker when trying to start her. I thought battery and charged it for 6 hours and checked it, using a friends meter - it says normal and half charged - it’s the original battery so I have my doubts. The doors are not always locking /unlocking first time And the fob battery is 1 year old. I tried a jump start using leads and the engine initially turned over but slowly And didn’t start. I’ve tried rocking the car in gear in case it’s the starter motor locked in place and I have cleaned all battery connections and the earth lead terminals. Still nothing. It’s not parked easily for a bump start. does anyone know what’s up with it please?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi there,
Thanks for the detailed list of what you've tried. I suspect the culprit is still the battery - flicking needles and dials point this way, as well as dificulty unlocking. There has been great consistency with the original batteries being fine, fine, dead, and now it appears to be your turn. They often do report a correct voltage, but don't have the current available to get the engine going. I also know that when I changed the battery on mine, it wasn't keen to start again, apparently because I'd flooded the engine (though I couldn't smell petrol; I eventually had to call out VW Assistance, who got it going by pressing the accelerator pedal while turning the ignition, changing the fuel:air ratio and helping it start - with a big puff of black smoke, in my case... See item #2 on this list.). That seems a likely starting point for why your jump start didn't work.
If the engine is cranking, it suggests the starter and related relays are ok. Depending on how short your short runs are, it is possible they aren't quite long enough to refill the battery, or the alternator is starting to go (any new squeaks from the engine bay?), but so far no reports of those failing. When you open the driver's door can you hear a click and high pitched whine? That's the fuel pump initiating, which is a good thing (no fuel = no start). There are other parts which are involved in the fuel/fuel ratio system which might be at fault, but let's not go down that rabbit hole just yet!
I'm sure you've already done this, but make sure every accessory item that can be turned off, is off, so that all the battery's efforts go into starting the car, not lights/heated seats/etc. If 6 hours only got you to half charge, I would plug it back in overnight and try to get it to full voltage, then try starting it with the accelerator (not in a garage). If you can't reach full voltage, or it still won't start, I would suggest it's time for a new battery and trying again.
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem solved. Despite the battery meter showing it as ok. Last night it helpfully showed that it took no charge and a new battery has solved the problem. Result.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the update - simple answers always preferred!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts