Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm just wondering if it is possible to sell a cat d car too early, does it have to clear on the system and does the previous owner have to be payed out by the insurance company before the car can be driven and or sold, I would really appreciate a reply, I can't find anything online, thank you in advance
Edited by: Jmansf

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wondering wether anyone knows a website where I can find this info, I've checked th DVLAEdited by: Jmansf

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jmansf said:
Just wondering wether anyone knows a website where I can find this info, I've checked th DVLA
Category D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ok
The theory is that if the car has any type of catorgory against it is should show on a hpi check and as a private customer if you pay £25 ish for the hpi check you are insured against them getting info wrong so will get your money back

However this does depend on a few things the insurance company giving the info on the system for hpi to pick up and how quickly this has been done I have known in the past for a vechile to be repaired and sold before the alert has been put on the system
Also some insurance company have worked out if they put cat c d they limit how much money they can get back ie if has cat c or d is worth half price

An example of this is I was buying a car for my mother and I went to have a look at it with her and it was 1 year old but only had 1000 miles on it so should have been in a main dealer not a used car lot. there's was some thing not quite right about it could not put my finger on it so I called the supplying dealer to see if they can shead some light on it and what I heard was unbelievable ! Basically the dealer said that they where wear the floods where in Cornwall or Devon really bad few years ago and that the insurance company had sold off all there water damaged cars without informing hpi so they could get the maximum money back

I hope this make sense I am very tired and wanted to reply as you had not had any I have been in the motor trade for over 20 years so I have seen 5 cars missed in that time

Hope this helps

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much Ian you have been a great help and sorry to hear about that car, them insurance companies are a joke

·
Registered
462 Posts
Luckily I did not buy it ! Bought her a Hyundai i10 new,instead although she does prefer our up and if that had been available at time would have bought her a up :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts