Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I updated maps and more on fresh after being prompted to do so but can no longer find or change assistants voice any more can anyone help its driving me mad trying to find it

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think it has to do with the update...

The only advice I can give: Contact Garmin and tell them you are upset!
Maybe they have a solution how to change the voices???

As it has to do with the flash update, I don't know if you can reset this to the old version.
If yes, "re-flash" your system to the (delivery) system. Then change the voice to female.
Afterwards you can flash the new version again (and always have the female voice).

It seems that the new flash update "freezed" the voice setting, no matter if male or female.
Both is still possible, depending on what your setting was when flashing the system ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, the latest firmware update removed the menu option to change the voice.
Edited by: Umiamz

·
Registered
361 Posts
Cadfael said:
I think it has to do with the update...

The only advice I can give: Contact Garmin and tell them you are upset!
Maybe they have a solution how to change the voices???

As it has to do with the flash update, I don't know if you can reset this to the old version.
If yes, "re-flash" your system to the (delivery) system. Then change the voice to female.
Afterwards you can flash the new version again (and always have the female voice).

It seems that the new flash update "freezed" the voice setting, no matter if male or female.
Both is still possible, depending on what your setting was when flashing the system ...

Are you sure that it freezes the gender, because I'm pretty sure my selection was female voice all way and when updating it's now male voice? How about they just dropped the female voice option all together? Any one with female voice after updating to latest version?

-eelis-

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi -eelis-,

No, I'm not sure AND
It might vary from country to country???

I had a female voice and still have it after the firmware update ...
No one from the UK or Germany has reported that it changed itself from female to male voice ...
Maybe a Finish / Finlandish problem???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi thanks for that I did a factory reset on fresh I now have a female voice back I am not going to bother with the update. Many thanks to all those that replied to my post

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi All, complained to Navigon about Female voice missing their response is below can i ask other member to register their complaint to Navigon & they may listen & reinstall it

Support UK [mailto:[email protected]]

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email.

The female voice was removed in the latest version,
unfortunately there is no way to turn it on after update.

Would you like to leave a feedback about that?

Please do nothesitate to contact us if you
have any other questions

Dear Navigon,

Yes I would like to leave a feedback,

Taking the Female voice off is a BACKWARD Step and should be put
back on IMMEDIATELY, as a Female voice is softer & clearer you do hear the
instructions better, you don't want to go on asking for repeat instructions
while driving.

Is there any update that will but the Female voice back on or
any way of going back to the previous Firmware then updating to the latest, OR
do I really need the latest updateDear Customer,

Thank you for your email.

We will forward your feedback to developers team.

At the moment we can not say for sure if this voice
will be available in the future updates or not.

Please do nothesitate to contact us if you
have any other questions

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thank you for the info!

There are "voice packs" to buy via Garmin Fresh ...
But as far as I read, all voices have local accents (as "fun add on") ...

If the female voices were deleted in Germany too, I would buy such a voice pack.
There is a female voice from Hamburg and I like the Northern accent.

Do you have a Navigon or a Garmin?
Think last update was only for Garmin?
Why didn't other updaters report?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a garmin I was informed by them that they needed the space for bluetooth update thats why we lost the female voice they should of taken the male voice away, by the way I am male

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine is a Garmin & even my other half has a Female voice on his Jag Sat Nav because he agree's a Female voice is clearer but then after obaying me (I Think) for quite some time would he dare to say anything else ?

So if you want the voice back why pay for something that should be there COMPLAIN to Garmin & let's try to get it reinstalled there is still a lot of space in the memory of the device so i don't see that as a argument.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have complained to garmin uk, the needing the space for the bluetooth upgrade did sound a bit iffy when that was explained to me. Also I purchased safety camera upgrade and it will not download if you don't have the latest firmware update waiting for a refund was informed it could take weeks and weeks

·
Registered
130 Posts
why should it take weeks?

Tell them if not refunded within 4 days you will add interest to the amount oweing at something like 10% bet when you paid for speed cams the money went out of your account immeditly.

Ask to speak to a manager that usealy gets results, if not just keep on do NOT accept weeks for your refund

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I agree it should not take weeks and weeks. I have sent an email to garmin complaing of this also they told me I should check with my bank on a daily basis. Maybe I should complain to PayPal as I chose them as my method of payment

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes Complain to Pay Pal they should certainly move them on, or even cancel the transaction

When they put out the new firmware update there was NO mention of it taking the Female voice out so they in effect are wrong with the update, I assume someone has made a mistake with the programming of the update so if ALL the forum members complain i'm sure it would appear again !

·
Registered
252 Posts
Since update the Bluetooth & especially the data connection is very slow to connect & since a few updates ago on the Seat you have lost the four speed dials to be replaced by direct call buttons to Seat Breakdown & Seat Customer Services. Who on earth will call customer services while driving!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
BT and the data connection have always been slow on mine (although with it being a new one I've only ever had the latest firmware and the one before it). Every now and again I find that it can't connect to Live Services at all and I have to Switch it completely off and on again (the Garmin, that is) before it will connect.

I was hoping that the latest firmware would fix this but it hasn't.

·
Registered
130 Posts
COMPLAIN ! COMPLAIN ! if Garmin don't know or get any complaints then they can't fix it as they think everything is OK

Don't think you are just causing trouble but if we just talk about it to ourselves and not to Garmin (In this instance) and do not tell them then they think it's OK,
That is why you should always tell the owner / Manufacture before shouting between ourselves if you don't tell people something is wrong then they will not fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you backed up your device before updating, then it seems you can recover 'Susan' from the backup.
Look in the backup under NAVIGON/sounds and copy any sound you need from there to the same location on your device.

Do this at your own risk of course, but it seems to work! The selection will even reappear in the options menu.

Henry and Susan do appear to different in that Henry will read out full street names, whereas Susan will just give directions.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Great EdGi!

I didn't try it but I found Susan and Henry on my German M&M Garmin backup, too!

And the ...
Herny file has 20.8MB and is from Oct 2011 while
Susan file has 1.55MB and is from Jun 2009!!!
That's why Susan only gives directions???!

Interesting that Susan appears when you put the "eng-GBR_Susan_sound.nfs" file on!

What you might try is to
COPY the "eng-USA_Lynn_tts.nfs" file (27MB) and rename the copy into "eng-GBR_Lynn_tts.nfs" ...
You then MIGHT have Lynn from the USA, giving direction with street names - but an American accent???

I might try what happens if I rename the Danish voice into "ger-DEU_Signe_tts.nfs" ...

The first 8 letters must be responsible for the options shown in the language selected???

As the "old" Susan file only has 1.55 MB, people who did not make a backup might ask others via PM to send them the "Susan file" via email. Shouldn't be illegal as this file only works with a M&M system (bought with a car).

And as EdGi wrote: OWN RISK!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
HEUREKA!
It works!

I copied "Wolfgang" (who had disappeared from German Garmins after the update ) into the "NAVIGON/sound" folder.

I also COPPIED "dan-DNK_Signe_tts.nfs" AND THEN renamed the copy into "ger-DEU_Signe-DK_tts.nfs.
Same with Lynn from the USA ...

Now I have both German voices back plus Signe from Denmark and Lynn from the USA.

I do not know what will happen when the Danish or American voice says the German texts - might sound totally wrong - but it works!

The "def" in "ger-DEU_Anke_def_tts.nfs" seems to mark the default voice ...

As your Susan has the ending "sound" and not "tts" (and the file is much smaller), you might try Lynn from the USA - renaming a file copy to "eng-GBR_Lynn_tts.nfs". Lynn might have an American accent, but tell you road names???

Thanx again EdGi!

EDIT: I tried it now ...
Signe (Denmark) is understandable 60% with a nice Danish accent (on German navi).
Lynn sound "very American" - not usable when German is chosen as language but should work perfect for English/British M&M users.
Henry sounds very nice!!! I can understand him very well. I noticed that some things are said in German and some in English! He says: "Bitte wenden in twohundred metres" ...

In contrast to the English Susan voice, Lynn tells you the street names (as it is "tts" instead of "sound"). So, you can choose between three voices now. Lynn might use some American expressions (???) ...

Edited by: Cadfael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts