Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone.i'm about to buy a seat mii, and it comes with 14" steel wheels and 165/70 r14 tires.
i want to put 15" alloy wheels and 185/55 r15 tires.

how would it affect the car regarding fuel economy, and the ride toughness?
is there anything else i should know?

thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi gania13, I'm not a techie so can't help you at all but are very interested in the results. I thought, along with your reasons that changing the diameter of road wheels and tyres would require the speedo and mileometer recalibrating. I remember this needed doing when I was truck driving and the wheels were changed. Maybe it's not so critical on cars nor a legal requirement.

Good luck with your thread and slightly unrelated, could I ask why you chose the Mii instead of the Up! or Citigo?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi jon,i'd probably choose the up! but it's not sold in my country.
i just like the looks of the Mii more than the Citigo.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You need to work out the rolling radius of tire and wheel. With a lower profile tire on a bigger rim, you can keep it the same, thus not affecting the speedo or economy. The ride may become slightly less soft, but I'd eat my hat if it were noticeable!

·
Registered
202 Posts
where do you live??

I'm sure VW has an atlas somewhere and know your contry exists.. Seems strange they wouldn't sell to you..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks dave! that helped alot!

scarja, lol i live in israel, VW is availible here, but for some reason the importer of VW decided not to import the up! for now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
gania13 said:
hello everyone.i'm about to buy a seat mii, and it comes with 14" steel wheels and 165/70 r14 tires.
i want to put 15" alloy wheels and 185/55 r15 tires.
Circumference / diameter is just about the same - it's a stock VAG size for these cars after all. No issues there.

Total wheel weight can go either way depending on what wheels you buy - some lightweight alloy rims are heavier than steelies. More weight means higher fuel consumption - but it'll be difficult to spot it.

Wider tyres create more aerodynamic drag - but they are usually lower and a bit stiffer, improving their rolling resistance.
These factors by themselves have minor effects.
185 isn't excessively wide.

The type of tyres that you put on instead will likely have a bigger effect due to the difference in rolling resistance.
If you pick a tyre with an A or B EU-label for rolling resistance, you'll likely improve the fuel consumption. Even with wider tyres on heavier wheels.
Pick an F or E rated sports tyre, and your fuel consumption will rise.

It's all give-and-take, gain a bit on one factor and lose a bit to another cause.

55 profile tyres are seen as "high" these days.
They will be a it stiffer but not too much so.
They'll also give better handling on the road.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't think you will notice any difference going from 14 to 15 we went from 14's to 17's and I reckon cost about 20 miles on a tank full which I am prepaired to loose for it looking the dogs bo*****x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts