Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my maps and More about three days ago from the dealers. The salesman and I plugged it in and I teamed up my mobile phone with it etc. Then after a bit of a demo. OffI went home. I took the device out of the vehicle(it was switched off) and placed it on my table.
The next dayI was taking the car back to the dealers to have it autoglymed. SoI didn't put it back in the vehicle. Then after picking up my car today I inserted the device in to the socket and was immediately told that the battery was almost flat and that it was switching itself off. This it duly did. I was then underway for over an hour and thought that the device would have charged itself up by then, but it appears that doesn't happen.

Questions...

1 Was it charged fully when I picked it up? (I suppose the answer to that is "No")

2 can anybody tell me how long it should hold a charge for?

3 How long does it take to fully charge on a computer USB outlet?

4 Why is there not some charging device included with the M & M?

5 Where in the manual are there any instructions for charging it? (I haven't found any yet)

6 Does it need an in car charger on long journeys, as it doesn't seem to charge when under way?

I have a TomTom which I always kept plugged in to the cigar lighter/charging device and that was normal, but I thought this was going to charge itself from the connection point.

I am leaving it plugged in to my computer overnight to hopefully charge up. If not I shall try plugging it in, with the in car charging cable that came with my TomTom, it seems to fit o.k.

Anybody got any suggestions please?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vwild1.
Thanks for that,I knew I had read it somewhere but couldn't find it. You have put me in the right place and as I already have it plugged in to my computer and the light is showing orange, I shall leave it overnight and hope it is fully charged. I'm then hoping that once fully charged it will keep itself up to scratch for longer than three hours. I'm assuming now that the cradle will keep it topped up when the engine is running. I was only out for an hours run so I suppose that was not long enough to fully charge it. But I still can't see why it needs charging when it is attached to the cradle. Maybe I'm thick? My TomTom runs as long as it is getting juice from the connection.

It is also puzzling me how it ran down so quickly.

Once again "Thanks " for the answer...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bingalu I think there are 2 ways of turning maps + more off, one puts it into standby the other turns it off completely. On standby it'll run flat but it'll wake up quickly,when off it has to reboot which can bea problem as my drive is about 30m and it isn't showing the reversingsensors until I'm past my gateposts. The beeps seem set in very narrow beams and don't start until 30- 40 cm off an object.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've read a thread on here that someone hadn't quite got the M&M fully connected into its holder and that was causeing some issues!

I can't imagine it would NOT charge whilst in use!

·
Registered
123 Posts
It definately charges in the cradle. My guess is standby mode drains the battery if not using it frequently. When its in the cradle and charging there's a icon in the top right which shows its charging.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again. I charged mine fully using the connection to my computer. (if I can find my TomTom mains charger that will also probably do the job quicker, I think they should supply a mains charger with it). Anyway I then found that for some reason it still kept switching off after about a mile or so. But it wasn't telling me it was run down. So I got a needle and pushed it in to the reset hole and it is now working o.k. (I hope).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me again. I am still not happy with theway my device doesn't seem to be getting a charge when the engine is running and the device is in the cradle. It seems to turn itself off for no reason at all. I did think after I had reset it that everything would be hunky dory, but it is still worrying me. I am just fully recharging it yet again on my computer and if it doesn't work correctly after that, I will be returning it to the dealers. I suppose that is the logical thing to do.

I never had this problem with my TomTom so maybe I will have to carry that as a spare at all times.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You may find it is losing contact at the base of the connecting arm or where the M&M joins the arm mine does.Give it a bit of a waggle it should be ok.Also give the brass contacts a wipe at both ends they be come a bit greasy.The battery signal shows a lightning flash when charging.

·
294 Posts
It should charge when in the car but it won't show any lights like it will when in the computer. As said above try cleaning the connectors. Dealer might be able to put a volt meter on the car to double check the connectors?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Im sure I read in the manual that it should have an amber light at the bottom if it is charging which changes to green when fully charged...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have noticed the connection where the base meets the dash can be less than positive. Sometimes when less the successfully clicked in I have pushed it off the dash. I now push it down, give it a wiggle until it clicks and appears to be attached correctly. I then double test the connection by giving the screen a push with a finger to ensure it's firmly attached.

Try this as we were finding ours wasn't charging and was randomly turning itself off because of this incorrect 'docking'

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Markmod1.
Thanks for the advice about the arm not connecting properly. You may well be right. Indeed I hope so. I will go out to the car and recheck shortly. As soon as it stops persisting it down that is.

I must also say that I have never seen a light in the corner of the screen to tell me that it is charging. So I will have a mess about with it cleaning connections etc. Then see if this indicating light appears. I will know then that maybea bad connectionis the cause. It seems to work o.k. when I plug it in to my TomTom electrical connecting cable to the cigar lighter socket. But as soon as I remove that within ten minutes I get the warning that it needs charging.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Markmod1 again. It looks like you may have put me on the right track. I have just been out to the car and turned on the ignition, I then switched on the device and it stayed on for about ten seconds before switching itself off. So I switched it on again but found that bypressing on the near side (port side to us ex-mariner types) of the baseof the neck of the connector, that it stayed on as long as I held that part down tight.
So that would indicate to me that it is not sitting in the connector properly. As I can't drive along with one finger pressing down on the neck of the extension thingy, I will be taking the device and the car back to the dealer ASAP. Just wondering if there will be anybody there tomorrow, a bank holiday,as I am off to Spain on Tuesday. (By air).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As an after-thought, maybe that was why I didn't seem to be getting much information from the Think Blue screen when I tried to make sense of that. I suppose none of the connections are meeting properley. Fingers crossed that it is curable.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bingalau there is a knack to pushing it down to secure, it should click and then it's sturdy as a rock. It is then fully connected. It's just nit that positive a connection until correctly attached.

Re the dealers, there will be sales men/ people (PC
) there but parts/ service are closed until wednesday I believe (I could be wrong though) as we require a new rear lamp cluster for mrs's up and was told it would be only possible to get one on Wednesday.

Worth giving your contact/ sales person a ring though tomorrow to inform him of your issues/ requirements of a new unit if that is the problem (what about dash contacts? Might not be the unit?)

Yes that is how we knew ours wasn't attached right, no car info, no movement of rev meter etc, and no think blue.... when connected right, bingo the needles move and show revs etc.Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Markmod1. Yes I guess you are right and I will re-check the connection tomorrow, but I will also phone the dealers tomorrow, to let them know there might be a problem and that I am going away. As you say there will probably be sales people there but not service or parts staff. I would imagine bank holidays are good days for flogging cars.

Right must get off this computer now and have a coffee and a bite to eat. Has the Jubilee malarkey all gone away?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wondering what USB cable you attach your m&m to your computer with? Did your dealers provide you with one when you picked up car or if not where did you get one?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts