Up Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

would like to share discussion about the higher charging speed after SW update from other web site - worth checking
The strange case of a Citigoe-iV charging at 32A with a single-phase Zappi...

It has something to do with long coding in the following module
"Address BD, 12E 915 022 AB, Long Coding from CA0D03040000 to CA0D04040000 (31414/128/00001) - (charging current max from 16A to 32A for 1-phase charging)"

Did you have similar experience?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Now that would be useful. I doubt if my small battery e-up will get it but newer cars with over 18.7 Kw batts should. I didn't get a wall box - use granny charger at home 2.3 Kw/hr - usually only on for 5 hours or so to 80% then a top up before any long trip.

·
Registered
268 Posts
An up! date - I now have a new 32.2Kw one which means far longer on a granny charger but unfortunately some stone floors get in the way of installing a proper wall-box so longer charges are necessary @ home. I can make use of the 7.2Kw public charge option sometimes -and most in Scotland are still free (not miserable old Fife Council though)

·
Registered
268 Posts
And another update - The black charge cable supplied is much heftier than the yellow one I had with the smaller battery e-up. But having tried it on a few 7Kw public chargers it doesn't seem to be charging any faster than the 3.6 KW/h of teh small battery one. I would have expected the upgrade/software edit in this because it was built in march 2021 and delivered in April. Hmm.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
All high capacity chargers run a data communication protocol to the car. The wiring itself will be part of this protocol to ensure that the cable is capable of supporting the current. Given a high capacity charging point and high capacity cable, then if the charge rate is too low, the problem is surely one of software compatibility/comms protocols or it's just correct given one's batteries or internal charge controller... ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
OK so having read a whole lot of stuff about this from forums and from VW support (like pulling teeth) and from charger companies this is (hopefully) the full picture - for my new 'big battery' e-up with non-upgraded software. It will take:
(1) Granny charger - 10 amps 230v so 2.3 Kw per hour
(2) Single phase 7kw destination charger (like @Tescos) - 16 amps @ 230v so 3.6Kw per hour.
(3) Three phase 7Kw or greater destination charger - 16 amps from any 2 phases giving 32 amps so 7.2 Kw per hour
(4) Rapid en-route charger - DC 50 Kw per hour.
I could get the software altered but against that is the hassle of VW dealerships not knowing 'owt' and also, remembering that the slower the better, I think I will leave that. If I want to charge @7 i will use a more modern 3 phase or select a 22 - which has to be 3 phase - and get 7 from it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This topic is puzzling me. I have a new e-Up, and a new Zappi v2 charger. The settings on the charger show that its 'Device Limit' is 31.8A. With minimal other electrical load on my house wiring and the Zappi on 'FAST', the car is only charging at 3.7kW. For most of my use that will be fine, if it takes 7hrs to charge it won't matter, but I might occasionally want 7kW. The WeConnect app has a setting for 'Maximum charging current' which is set at MAX (it doesn't say what current that is).

The manual for the car refers to a lower battery charge limit (which WeConnect shows set at 30%, I understand what that's about) and an upper battery charge limit, which I would like to leave at 80% unless I have a long trip. WeConnect, however, doesn't have that setting, only the maximum current on a scale of - / + with no units. The manual also says you can set a departure time via the app, but it only has the ability to set routine times, like every Wednesday at 8am - my journeys aren't regular. I also expected WeConnect to tell me the state of charge, but that doesn't seem to be available. I think I'll have to take it up with the support desk, but thought I would share here first.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a BMWi wallbox charger which I've previously charged other cars at 32A. When I first got my e-up, I plugged it in and it was capped at 16A (I have a meter which shows this, so no need to work it out).

I checked the app and the maximum charging current was set at MAX. However, I reduced that on the slider, waited the 20 seconds or so for it to acknowledge the change. Then wacked it back to MAX, plugged the car back in and it was charging at 32A (and has been fine ever since).

So, worth playing with the slider (if you haven't already).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, uppy. That has indeed fixed it - it's now charging at 7.3kW. :)

Do you know of a way to limit charging to 80% (other than periodically going to sit in the car and read the charge status)?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great !

Not sure why they don't supply the car with it configured at 32A.

Sorry, don't know how to limit to 80% but it's a good question. That was something that was dead easy to do with my Tesla (just a slider on the touch screen but no such thing in the e-up). I haven't worried so much about limiting the max charge with the e-up as it's a lease car that is just on a 2 year term so degradation isn't really a concern for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've more or less solved this now. I emailed WeConnect support and although their reply didn't identify the solution it did give me a hint. They said "
Simply select charging location and enter your preferred charging level " but no amount of tapping on "charging location" had any effect. What I had to do was to use "Add charging location" and create a new charging location, to which I could associate a charging level. For each Charging Location I can set the % of charge to go to, and the rate of charge.

I was confused by the Departure Times being preset for regular departures - there is actually a switch to turn off "Regular" so that you can set a one off time.

Something else to beware of is that if you set up a location or configure a departure time, then 'Synchronize' with the car, if the App can't connect to the car (which seems to happen about 1 time in 5) those settings are lost and have to be programmed again.

I remain unimpressed by WeConnect!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts