Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say I am 50 years old and not a boy racer by any stretch of the imagination. I have done about 3500 miles in my Up! now and I do like it, but I have a couple of issues with what I consider cheap-ass components.

1. clutch - if heavy traffic means I have to pull away sharply at a junction or roundabout, for example, the clutch judders under the 'strain' of the 75hp engine and I get a slight whiff of burning in the cabin! Not every time, but it's very easy to do.

2. brake discs - already very slightly warped after just a couple of thousand miles.

I have owned over 30 cars and always drive more or less the same. This is the first time I have encountered such egg-box budget engineering.

Shame on you, VW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To warp your disc brakes takes some serious braking,while i accept you may have been driving for a long time and owned numerous cars,you should look at your driving technique.

I drove an st220 estate before my up and i drove it like i stole it,but i never managed to warp my discs,i also drive a navara 800 miles a week, and they are renowned for being nasty to the front brakes, but so far 125000 miles i have used three sets of brake pads and one set of worn discs,because i treat it with care.

I fully expect my up to do at least 40000 before a pad change and more for a disc change.

If you are dumping your clutch or riding it which i think you are then you will damage it, the burnng smell is your clutches way of telling you that it does not like what you are doing to it,and you need to modify your clutch control,is waiting that extra minute for a brake in traffic that hard?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
See my earlier posts re discs, mine started warping at 20k and were undriveable by 30k, pads were almost unworn so not driving technique....VW funded 75% of the disc/pad replacement under goodwill......I'm not the first warped discs I've heard of.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi All, reading most but not all of the posts .most complaints about component parts ,The vehicle in question it is not a racing car, it is a city car ,and should be treated with respect ,cheap components or not the price of the up in my opinion is what I my self wanted to pay ,and for its purpose of city driving and the odd drive to the country, may be a hundred miles or so ,people reading the posts on here are looking for other peoples complaints and faults ,in my opinion ,if you want a car for racing speeding reckless driving don't buy a city car, buy one for the purpose Audi bmw golf and so on ,,,my self in question wanted , mpg not mph ,so have a little thought about the little car treet it with respect ,and it will deliver its capability .also .most expensive cars suffer noise problems after a 1000 miles or so ,most iltr cars suffer with clutch noise problems ie citroen vauxhall fiat etc my own up has little noises but it's a low priced car .you have to give and take,, well I will get of my soap box now all have a nice day enjoy you're lovely cars Regards
Phill

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Phill, the point I made was there WAS a fault with my brakes
VW sorted it quickly and efficiently , my mileage shows these are way more than 'just' city cars
At no point have I condoned speeding racing or anything like it

I think the original post is far too harsh and also think that the up is a. Good value, b. engineered pretty well and c. Significantly better than the competition

You pays your money and takes your choice....personally I'm delighted with my up and am happy to defend it!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi private doc I was just saying you get a good car for your money and some of the parts are fitted in the Audi as well ,,it's just that people want a sports car ,for little money ,the up and most cars have their problems ,but sometimes it's not worth taking it back to the dealer for miner things when you think, how long you are there for hours on end ie no water in the windscreen bottle, etc I find the cars ok done about six hundred miles ,in my wife's one mostly A roads ,fine but do compromise the difference of a Moore expensive car ,I find the up holds its own ,a fantastic car ,well built and well priced ,it's every ones choice for all the extras ,also your posts are all ten /ten spot on
Regards phill,,

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Thanks phill..op has got it wrong imho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts