Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted this on the BBC News site, and found that my driving licence expires in September. It's listed on the card as 4a (when the licence starts from) and 4b (when the licence expires).

In the old days when it was just a paper form, the expiry was set for the 70th birthday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886

Nick

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think they remind you beforehand - hope so!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only if you haven't moved address in the meantime.

Check your licence to make sure!

Nick

·
Registered
851 Posts
They do send a reminder because I had mine a few months back. You have to send your picture card AND your paper counterpart along with a new photo back to them and then they reissue both to you. I didn't have to wait long before they arrived. Job done for another 10 years. I think you have to pay £20 too - but I can't remember exactly the amount.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've resisted getting a photo license so far but it looks, according to the BBC article, like I will be forced to get one some time in 2015. No doubt I will be 'forced' to PAY for this new card as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep hold of your old licence when you send for renewal, tick the box saying you've misplaced it or lost it, can't remember what it actually says. A short time ago licences were being returned minus the motorcycle entitlement, if you had it, and DVLA didn't help. They said you would have to take your test again as they destroy the pass certificates after a certain period. Widely reported in the motoring press.....!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">The £20 fee is still in force. It's free when you're notifying the DVLA of a change of address, but I can't see them allowing an updated photo and a change of address to avoid the fee.

Nick

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Cat D will also be removed from your license if you hold it as 'grandad privileges' from here on in. If you wish to keep it, you have to state this when you renew it. Otherwise once it's gone you need to take the test for it, and it's **** pricey too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts