Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wetflyingmonkey said:
Collas said:
This may be a daft question, but you have checked the tyre pressures?

Nick
Nope - I didn't think to. But I certainly will when I get home!
Since we took delivery of our up! a week ago I have really questioned the ride comfort - all the reviews and others comments saying it was brilliant and yet my own experience was that it felt really highly sprung and skittish on the corners - nothing like what I thought it would be. So, with this in mind I turned to this forum, hijacked a similar thread and a member gave me some simple advice - check the tyre pressures, being honest I thought they would be fine..... I've just come back in from outside and I am absolutely shocked. Each tyre had between 55-58 PSI!!!!!!!!!!

58!!!!!! And those were the rears that should be 26!! I've only covered 400 miles since delivery so I ope the tyres are okay but ill be paying VW a call in the morning!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like the excess pressure to pop the tyre on to the beads has been left in, although it should have been sorted on the PDI... I can't see why a tyre pressure check wouldn't be on the check list.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see why either - but it certainly wasn't.

What pressures do people run on in their up!s?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Mine were also nearly twice the recommended pressure. I assumed it was that way for transport reasons and maybe the dealer just forgot to reduce it. No noticeable harm done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tyres are pumped up before the car is tied down for transportation. It "hopefully" prevents a flat spot on the tyre because of the car being ratcheted down.

It most certainly should be part of the PDI to re-adjust the pressures.

I had a Passat delivered which drove like it was on wooden wheels. They had left the pressures at 60psi and also the transit blocks in the suspension. The transit blocks prevent the springs from compressing while on the transorter, so reducing the possibility of the securing strap becoming loose. My Passat was taken to another dealer who carried out a full PDI check at the supplying dealers expense.

You should complain to the supplying dealer. You have paid for the car with "on the road" costs which includes a PDI. They quite obviously have not done this. What else haven't they checked ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I jokingly made a comment during the handover to the sales woman that I would like a tissue just to check the oil level but laughed it off.

Another thing that struck me as odd was that the PDI was stamped 20/02/2013 - I test drove it 2 weeks ago and it had done 5 miles. So the car was sat in stock for over 4 months..... that's odd for a car in such demand isn't it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
wetflyingmonkey said:
Each tyre had between 55-58 PSI!!!!!!!!!!

58!!!!!! And those were the rears that should be 26!!
58 is really excessive for a small car, and very likely even over the tyres' rated maximum pressure (usually found on the sidewall).

I'd expect your up! had a rather bouncy ride and some pronounced tail-happiness on bad roads ?

OTOH, 26 psi is utterly low, and will cost you fuel and highly likely extra tyre wear.
Even if VW recommends it, I'd never run that low pressure.
Low pressure induces more heat, and heat ultimately kills tyres.

By comparison, many motorcycles run 36psi stock.

I'm currently running 41 psi, but will likely take them back up to 43.5 psi as they rolled a bit better with the higher pressure and still handled OK.
That's with 185/60/15 tyres.°)

°) That's indeed one profile size up from 185/55/15 stock.
Less rpm gives better fuel efficiency.
So does the increased tyre pressure - my tyres are rated for 51 psi, BTW.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did a spot check on one of my front tyres, 29 as recommended. I find the recommendation confusing though as more load would warrant a higher pressure, but who regularly changed their tyre pressures based on their passengers that day. Can I assume that a slightly higher eg 32 (which was the recommended one for my old aygo) would be a better compromise. And then 29 for the back wheels?

·
Registered
583 Posts
My suggestion is to run - at least
- the tyre pressure that VW gives for driving fully loaded.

My CNG eco up! is some 200 lbs heavier than the regular up! though, with most of the extra weight situated astride the rear axle.

On a regular up! one might reduce the rear tyre pressure a bit as it has less weight @ the rear.

At 3 bar or 43.5 psi it still doesn't bounce @ the rear, though it wanders a wee bit more on railroad tracks or uneven cobblestones compared to a lower pressure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tyre walls state that the maximum pressure should be 44 PSI - I hope that the tyres will be okay seeing as though they have been running 55+ for maybe 3 months and 400 miles.

And yes - she was proper tail happy!

·
Registered
583 Posts
wetflyingmonkey said:
The tyre walls state that the maximum pressure should be 44 PSI - I hope that the tyres will be okay seeing as though they have been running 55+ for maybe 3 months and 400 miles.
You'll be pleased to hear that tyres have a very comfortable safety margin built in, so they can deal with overinflation.
Some people are running 60+ psi for fuel efficiency, in tyres rated for 40-45 psi.

With only 400miles, you're unlikely to see any ill effects on the wear pattern either - at that pressure, the center would start to wear down faster than the shoulders.

However, tyres can't live as well with underinflation.
It's the main cause of blown car tyres.Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
309 Posts
My up felt skittish on city roads and terrible on potholes going round corners, found all tyres were at 35 psi, feels better now at correct pressures. 35 psi is the sort of pressure you'd have in a car weighing over 1.5 tonne, so to me really high pressures of 40, 50 will surely give less contact patch and less grip in the corners.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I found that my Skoda Citigo Elegance 75PS Greentech's tyre pressures were all at 36ps when I checked them after a night sitting in the garage. With the 185/55 x 15" Auriga Alloy wheels fitted to the car, the pressures should have been 29psi front and 26psi rear. It doesn't feel so skittery (not in the Scots sense of the word!
) now and the ride quality over bumps has improved. The dealer had obviously not checked them at the PDI so it's not just a VW dealer complaint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Honda quad bike has 2.75 psi and 3.5psi front and backI can drive over wet soil that I literally can't stand on
My wellies are about 4 psi until I walk- then they're 8
Useless facts maybe, but QI

·
Registered
438 Posts
Does every Up say 29/26 regardless of wheel size and tyre? Mine says that but the tyre manufacturer says 33/30. I have 215/40 17 and I'm not sure what pressure to be using. Any ideas?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Andy T9 said:
My up felt skittish on city roads and terrible on potholes going round corners, found all tyres were at 35 psi, feels better now at correct pressures.
That's VW recommended low pressure, so they could cheapen the suspension.

I'm running low-40s psi and it drives better than @ the recommended pressure.
But mine is a heavier CNG version.

35 psi is the sort of pressure you'd have in a car weighing over 1.5 tonne
It's also the sort of pressure you'd find on a motorcycle ...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Andy T9 said:
_1S_ said:
Andy T9 said:
My up felt skittish on city roads and terrible on potholes going round corners, found all tyres were at 35 psi, feels better now at correct pressures.
That's VW recommended low pressure, so they could cheapen the suspension.

I'm running low-40s psi and it drives better than @ the recommended pressure.
But mine is a heavier CNG version.

35 psi is the sort of pressure you'd have in a car weighing over 1.5 tonne
It's also the sort of pressure you'd find on a motorcycle ...
I don't believe VW use incorrect pressures to cheapen suspension, that would be saying they have cheapened suspension on every model they make.

You can't really compare motorbike tyres, not really that similar are they? If a car had two wheels instead of 4, the pressure would have be higher wouldn't it? A push bike has higher tyre pressure than cars in the case of a road/race bike....

I know when tyres feel soft, at 29/26 they feel 'right' , the wear will be even and contact patch will be right.

What are the correct pressures for your gas engined model then?

/QUOTE] Edited by: Andy T9

1 - 18 of 18 Posts