Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Uppers, whilst cleaning our little tuk-tuk at the weekend I noticed that we have collected a few chips on the bonnet of our white UP! and wondered if anyone else has noticed this. It's certainly not as bad as on my Alfa which is recognised as having soft paint, but more than I was expecting in 3000 miles.

I realise that it largely depends on the type of roads that people drive on and whether your local authority has the 'spread as much loose chippings on the road as you can' approach to re-surfacing that ours does.

It's the front of the bonnet that seems to be most affected, which is not surprising as this is likely to catch the full force of anything that is thrown up. Will try to capture some pics once the rain eases off ... just interested to know if others have noticed this and whether it seems 'normal' , whatever that may be !

thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not got one yet in just over a thousand miles on crap Cumbrian roads.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've got no chips just loads of dead flys

·
Registered
532 Posts
VWXYZ said:
Not got one yet in just over a thousand miles on crap Cumbrian roads.

I would like to vote for the east side of Windermere, Bowness to Newby Bridge. Should be a good road to drive, but often isn't.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've found that increasing my following distance by a few metres has reduced the chances of getting stone chips.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Have you thought about driving in the early hours of the morning instead?

Nick

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've got a very tiny one on my up black's bonnet. Was a bit disappointed as I washed him. I'm on 1800 miles. Since then I try to remember to pull back from traffic. But driving in a different takes some getting used to. It's ok when I've got time, but when I'm in a hurry that all goes out the window, as does trying to keep the fuel consumption down

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmmm....
Begs the question what up! colours would be the best for stone chips to have minimal effect on appearance.

vup rider

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guess it depends on the base colour used - our White UP! appears to have a silver undercoat that is not too obvious until you look closely. My red alfa has white undercoat so the bonnet on that looks like someone has flicked white paint onto it!

maybe I should follow the other posters advice and only drive at night - would never notice the chips then!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts