Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, It appears the nice shiny chrome mirror caps are a ludicrous £172 pound for the pair....which is an outrageous price and i wish to see if anyone out their can confirm how much they are in Germany and if cheaper who can order them! It seems like a silly price to pay but I still want them!!

Any one who feels the same and can help please reply :)

Ta!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Late reply......Wow that is a high price!!! I am going via a SEAT contact to see how much SEAT will be charging for them, on other models SEAT only charge £50 a pair. I am also going to look to see if there are any other models that use the same mirror housing as per VAG norm!!

Will let you know only 3 months later!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
to be honest, I like mirror caps to be painted in body color, not chrome.cars which have too much poor quality chrome inserts on it we call aGypsyedition in our country.. they like the bling bling.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The chrome caps on the up! and co are quite tasteful fitted as standard on the up! Balck and up! white and getting a Take up! mine are non colour coded. I can buy unpainted mirror caps at £29 a side and easy job to spray paint candy white. The textured finish on the Take up! will need rubbing down and priming before painting, un painted caps come pre-primed.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Except that they are a bitch to remove, as they have to be unclipped from the inside (remove glass and then glass surround trim), then you can get to the clips for the housing...

That's what they workshop manual says.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The glass just clips out with a good tug and the locating lugs can be prised up with a flat blade screwdriver. You can do it with the mirror still in place and moving its position if you know exactly were the locating lugs are or can shine a torch in tolocatethem.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Here's some pics from the workshop manual... Hope they help...

<table ="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard ">
<t></t></table>""“ Remove mirror glass
""“ Release locking hooks -arrows a- and -arrows b-.
""“ Slightly tilt trim upwards -arrows f- so that locking hooks remain released.
""“ Release locking hooks -arrows c, d- and -arrows e-.
""“ Tilt trim -1- further upwards -arrows f-.
""“ The trim is then released from catches -4-.

""“ Release locking hooks -arrows a-
""“ Then, pull mirror housing -1- frontwards in -direction of arrow b- off mirror mounting -2-.
""“ Doing so will release the remaining locking hooks.

Edited by: SiJ2000

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hope they are helpful!

Good luck...

Don't forget to send in photos of the process... Am interested in the whole spraying thing and how they look after! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
The biggest issue is how do you get the glass out without breaking itanyone more diagrams please

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I believe it just prizes out... Don't hold me to it, but I think that's how it works.

·
Registered
587 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
Hope they are helpful!

Good luck...

Don't forget to send in photos of the process... Am interested in the whole spraying thing and how they look after! :)

Will do, just need the car so I can get spraying
Had a little practice with spraying Candy White after my push bike fell down and took a lovely chunk out of the door handle on my Leon
Thankfully somefilerand sanding followed by a respray then a light sand and polish looks 99% as good as new me being a perfectionist phew!! Primed mirror covers will be so much easier although I am also toying with possibly just wrapping theexisting mirrors with carbonfiberor even a chrome wrap. Wrapping may be a quick and cheap way to start, as if it looks naff is easily removed.

Only reason for chrome is I have some chrome door handle covers that I got for the Leon but never fitted and in typical VAG form the up! has the same door handles as the Leon. Along with MK5 Golf, Polo to name a few. May look naff on the up! as well though????

Mirror glass takes quite a tug to get out, usually you can prise them off with a flat bladed screwdriver takes more force than you expect but the mirror glass has a strong plastic mount on the glass. Just make sure when it comes un-clipped you catch it!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I try to avoid chrome embellishments in my sight-line as the reflections in bright sunlight can be blinding, and it takes my eyes a while to adjust (I have very pale blue or grey eyes).

Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jezyg
Do you have the take up and have you started to customised it? I am picking mine up next week- white- but I would like to enhance it.
Foti

1 - 15 of 15 Posts