Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting what he says about the "auto" transmission. Seems it is as popular as the MMT box in the Toyota Aygo. That has some dreadful things said about it, though some do find it ok and like it.
I have had a Toyota Auris hybrid and the e-cvt in that is really good. Gave that to the wife and my last car (before changing for a CitiGo) was the latest Gen of the Toyota Prius, that e-cvt transmission was extremely smooth. All planetary gears in constant meh. Beautiful. Best car I have ever owned, and likely to be the best car I ever own.
The CitiGo does it for me though. Not as many toys, by far, the wifes has even less toys. But we love our CitGo's. Reminds me a bit of when the wife had a Citroen C1. 3 cylinder engine, raspy sound, fun to drive. Thats all I/we need now.

·
Registered
622 Posts
As he says. The auto box is fine as long as you take it easy, which is what i found with the same type of auto box in my Smart and the Aygo.

The new Aygo X now has a CVT auto which they say is a lot smoother. The only problem is the top of the range Aygo X Auto is around £20 000, so getting close to a year old or less Mini Cooper Sport Auto.

On a different note. I would love to know how you transfer vids from You Tube onto here. I have right clicked on a vid but the word COPY does not come up. Also using my laptop, how to transfer Vids/Music onto a USB Memory stick so i can keep them, or onto an SD card so i can slot the card into my car radio slot and what size card would i need? Yes i am a techie wizard.....NOT.

·
Registered
236 Posts
On a different note. I would love to know how you transfer vids from You Tube onto here. I have right clicked on a vid but the word COPY does not come up. Also using my laptop, how to transfer Vids/Music onto a USB Memory stick so i can keep them, or onto an SD card so i can slot the card into my car radio slot and what size card would i need? Yes i am a techie wizard.....NOT.
Select the script in the address bar, right click, copy and paste

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Also using my laptop, how to transfer Vids/Music onto a USB Memory stick so i can keep them, or onto an SD card so i can slot the card into my car radio slot and what size card would i need? Yes i am a techie wizard.....NOT.
If the music or videos are been listened to, or viewed, on a browser on a laptop (or phone) then they are being "streamed" from a server somewhere, which is like being played live*. The data that makes up the music/video comes to your laptop in small chunks - you don't ever have the complete track or vid on your laptop, so there is no way to put the data onto a USB stick or SD card. You can (sometimes) download the track or vid to a file in its entirety, usually depending on copyright. Only when you have a complete file can you copy it. Even then, with a Up!, you can only play music files of the type "MP3" and maybe a couple of other formats.

* Think of watching BBC on broadcast TV - there are no "files" you can watch later, unless you record the whole program, or download it and save it using iPlayer or even better, 'get_iplayer'.

And any size SD card will work - the bigger the card, the more MP3 songs you can save on it - the smallest cards now (1GB?) will hold say 100 songs. It depends on the length of the song, and the level of quality of the MP3. I use 128GB and 256GB cards! That's more than enough music to drive to China and back.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
When do you start your trip to China, Steve. ????

Do try to keep an internet connection, your input on the forum is appreciated. 😎
I don't need to actually go to China - China is coming here!

In a few years they will own everything and will have bribed anyone important to get anything they want! :)

Test_driver will not need to book a bus ticket.....

·
Registered
622 Posts
If the music or videos are been listened to, or viewed, on a browser on a laptop (or phone) then they are being "streamed" from a server somewhere, which is like being played live*. The data that makes up the music/video comes to your laptop in small chunks - you don't ever have the complete track or vid on your laptop, so there is no way to put the data onto a USB stick or SD card. You can (sometimes) download the track or vid to a file in its entirety, usually depending on copyright. Only when you have a complete file can you copy it. Even then, with a Up!, you can only play music files of the type "MP3" and maybe a couple of other formats.

* Think of watching BBC on broadcast TV - there are no "files" you can watch later, unless you record the whole program, or download it and save it using iPlayer or even better, 'get_iplayer'.

And any size SD card will work - the bigger the card, the more MP3 songs you can save on it - the smallest cards now (1GB?) will hold say 100 songs. It depends on the length of the song, and the level of quality of the MP3. I use 128GB and 256GB cards! That's more than enough music to drive to China and back.

Thanks Steve. I did as Vaultboy said and right clicked on the address bar of a video song from You tube. (This one). COPY did come up so i clicked on it. I then opened a new file on my laptop. Right clicked, but PASTE did not show, at least only very faintly so i could not click on it. I guess this is what you mean when you say it cant be done.

However as you can see it does work on here, so i guess that is all you can do. At least i now know how to download vids on to here. Im getting good at this with loads of help from my friends.

Re the size of SD card to put in my car radio. I meant the physical size, not how much storage.

Hope you all like Smokey Robinson. Perhaps we should start a separate music page?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
The card you need for you radio is called an SD card, but a micro SD card will also work (and is more common) as it fits into a simple sleeve that adapts it to SD size.

Look here and you will see what I mean.

Thanks again Steve. I do know about SD cards. I have one in my camera, but i thought you needed a certain size card to fit in the radio slot.

More to the point, if you are not able to transfer music from You Tube onto an SD card, how do you get music onto the card? I have loads of Vinyl, Cassette Tapes and CDs. Am i correct in thinking i would need to put a music CD into the draw that pops out at the side of my Laptop? If so, how would i then transfer the music from the CD onto the SD card? I have an adaptor that slots into a USB port and then you put an SD card into the adaptor. I would also only want certain tracks, not the full album and do this with a few CDs. A kind of old school Mix Tape.

I think i am asking too much as this is probably too complicated for me. I think i should just stick with the radio, or even better the sound of the cars engine.

Now i know how to put vids on here. This one is from the Irish girl buskers i mentioned some time ago. I know this is a car forum, but i hope a little music is not a bad thing. As i said, perhaps a separate music vid topic would be good and we could all list our tunes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks again Steve. I do know about SD cards. I have one in my camera, but i thought you needed a certain size card to fit in the radio slot.

More to the point, if you are not able to transfer music from You Tube onto an SD card, how do you get music onto the card? I have loads of Vinyl, Cassette Tapes and CDs. Am i correct in thinking i would need to put a music CD into the draw that pops out at the side of my Laptop? If so, how would i then transfer the music from the CD onto the SD card? I have an adaptor that slots into a USB port and then you put an SD card into the adaptor. I would also only want certain tracks, not the full album and do this with a few CDs. A kind of old school Mix Tape.

I think i am asking too much as this is probably too complicated for me. I think i should just stick with the radio, or even better the sound of the cars engine.

Now i know how to put vids on here. This one is from the Irish girl buskers i mentioned some time ago. I know this is a car forum, but i hope a little music is not a bad thing. As i said, perhaps a separate music vid topic would be good and we could all list our tunes.

You need a piece of software, if you have Windows 10 on you laptop there will be software available courtesy of Microsoft, but others are available, some free, some cost. That will show the tracks on the music cd you have and allow you to select all or some of them and then “rip” (copy) to the media you want ie so card, usb stick, etc. you should be able to select what quality you want to record, the higher the figure the better the quality of hearing,BUT you are in a car, road noise, air noise etc, quality of music player in the car, plus imperfect hearing means pointless in going very high because you are not going to benefit and it is wasting space on the sd card/usb. You can connect a record deck to a computer to do the same, if you have the right connections and leads, same with cassettes I presume. Records and tapes will be very time consuming as you have to copy whilst playing, cd’s can copy uicker than playing because they are digital in the first place.
Another suggestion, if your car has an auxiliary connection, similar to what your smartphone has to plug in headphones, or maybe usb, or Bluetooth connection, you could join something like Spotify, free or pay a monthly fee. Spotify, and others, have masses and masses of all sorts of mucic, not everything because they will not have permission for “everything”, you can form multiple lists of you favourite music, say 10 tracks, 30 tracks, 100 tracks, you choose, quantity and genre. You can then access Spotify whilst on the move, connect it to your car aux cable, usb, Bluetooth, choose the list you want to listen to, play in order or randomly. Free Spotify, and I suspect others, you get adverts every 30 minutes for 60 secs, maybe 30 secs,then away you go again. Pay Spotify etc and you are advert free. I use Spotify free, it’s always with you (smartphone), as long as you have a signal to the phone you have Spotify, can be used in your home, away from home, you not tied to the car, take it into the caravan, play back through quality speakers, or mobile speaker in the garden…..l it’s a big world.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
If the SD card in your camera is about an inch long, that will be the right physical size, but if you mean 'size' in terms of how much you can store on it, then any size will do. So I will say you should buy a 64Gbyte card for not a lot of money, but in fact able to hold more songs than you need. You can buy SD cards anywhere like Currys, Argos etc if you prefer real shops. Online buying is cheapest, if you get free P&P, but for a few quid, who cares either way?

The subject of how to copy audio files onto an SD for the card will generate 50 pages of responses, as everyone has their favourite ways to do this, depending on the source of the music. By which I mean it could be downloaded from the Internet or "ripped" from CD.

If you have CD's, let's tackle that one first and see how you get on....

On a PC or laptop, you will need to download some free software that lets you read a CD and turns the data on it into "files" stored on the PC which can then be copied to the SD card.

I suggest getting fre:ac from here (I have reasons, including autonaming the tracks!)

As a start, download fre:ac 1.1.6 (64 bit for Windows)

Then if you get that far I'll show you what to do next!

Reactions: TEST DRIVER

·
Registered
622 Posts
You need a piece of software, if you have Windows 10 on you laptop there will be software available courtesy of Microsoft, but others are available, some free, some cost. That will show the tracks on the music cd you have and allow you to select all or some of them and then “rip” (copy) to the media you want ie so card, usb stick, etc. you should be able to select what quality you want to record, the higher the figure the better the quality of hearing,BUT you are in a car, road noise, air noise etc, quality of music player in the car, plus imperfect hearing means pointless in going very high because you are not going to benefit and it is wasting space on the sd card/usb. You can connect a record deck to a computer to do the same, if you have the right connections and leads, same with cassettes I presume. Records and tapes will be very time consuming as you have to copy whilst playing, cd’s can copy uicker than playing because they are digital in the first place.
Another suggestion, if your car has an auxiliary connection, similar to what your smartphone has to plug in headphones, or maybe usb, or Bluetooth connection, you could join something like Spotify, free or pay a monthly fee. Spotify, and others, have masses and masses of all sorts of mucic, not everything because they will not have permission for “everything”, you can form multiple lists of you favourite music, say 10 tracks, 30 tracks, 100 tracks, you choose, quantity and genre. You can then access Spotify whilst on the move, connect it to your car aux cable, usb, Bluetooth, choose the list you want to listen to, play in order or randomly. Free Spotify, and I suspect others, you get adverts every 30 minutes for 60 secs, maybe 30 secs,then away you go again. Pay Spotify etc and you are advert free. I use Spotify free, it’s always with you (smartphone), as long as you have a signal to the phone you have Spotify, can be used in your home, away from home, you not tied to the car, take it into the caravan, play back through quality speakers, or mobile speaker in the garden…..l it’s a big world.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. My laptop is an older one with Windows 8 and1/2. I am not sure if that makes a difference. I have heard of Spotify and will have a look at it.

I know things progress (so called), but what was wrong with Radio Cassette players in cars. Just pop the tape in and you have music. You could record your favourites from vinyl onto tape without the need of a computer and play the tapes in your car.

Then they moved to Radio CD players in cars. Not as good as tapes, but still simple to slot a CD into the radio slot and listen to the tracks.

Now they give us radios that need an SD card to be able to listen to our favourite tunes and all the performance needed to get the tracks onto the SD card. I cant help thinking its just change for change sake and for me a step back.

Just the same with pointless inventions like keyless start, auto lights and wipers etc. Perhaps i am just old fashioned at heart.

Thanks again City Go Man, but i think this will be too techie for me. I will stick with the radio.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Cassettes and CDs in cars take up huge space, can easily be stolen, get destroyed by heat and sun, and are dangerous to fiddle about with.

A tiny 64GB SD card would hold, say about 6400 MP3 songs at maximum quality (or double that at low quality). Call it 64 cassette tapes or 64 CDs. You just leave the SD card in the slot, and the stereo will play through them. I recommend playlists though, each of which lets you set up any groupings of songs to play as if it were a big album (like by genre, band etc but it's arbitrary).

Win 8.1 is fine for anything you might want to do. I assume it is Windows 8.1 64bit version. Download the fre:ac program and we can show you some PC fun - easier than you think....

Reactions: TEST DRIVER
1 - 20 of 48 Posts