Up Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
If the SD card in your camera is about an inch long, that will be the right physical size, but if you mean 'size' in terms of how much you can store on it, then any size will do. So I will say you should buy a 64Gbyte card for not a lot of money, but in fact able to hold more songs than you need. You can buy SD cards anywhere like Currys, Argos etc if you prefer real shops. Online buying is cheapest, if you get free P&P, but for a few quid, who cares either way?

The subject of how to copy audio files onto an SD for the card will generate 50 pages of responses, as everyone has their favourite ways to do this, depending on the source of the music. By which I mean it could be downloaded from the Internet or "ripped" from CD.

If you have CD's, let's tackle that one first and see how you get on....

On a PC or laptop, you will need to download some free software that lets you read a CD and turns the data on it into "files" stored on the PC which can then be copied to the SD card.

I suggest getting fre:ac from here (I have reasons, including autonaming the tracks!)

As a start, download fre:ac 1.1.6 (64 bit for Windows)

Then if you get that far I'll show you what to do next!

Thank you so much for this. I will have a look at fre ac but i think it will all be too complicated for me with my techie expertise or lack of. Knowing me, i will start messing around and end up ruining my computer.

As i said to City Go Man why couldn't the car makers just have left Cassette tapes or CD Radio in cars. Yes i know things move on or we would all be driving cars like Fred Flintstone.

I dont know why i started this seeing as i drive so rarely these days and i apologise to all of you for your kind input, but i am going to stick with the radio and forget SD cards.

I will stay with what i am good at like Test Driving Cars and recommending cars and heated long johns to all my fans.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Spotify free is the way to go, you create your own music lists.
The problem with cassette tapes is 1 they wear out 2 they tangle 3 not easy to find a track 4 you listen in order they on the tape 5 limited play time then you have change 6 storage of cassettes. Probably a few others as well. Personally, I glad we are where we are, at 75 I still in amazement at technology and look forward to the future.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
We can give you a 5-step guide to getting songs on an sd card for your car from a CD. I promise that anyone who knows how to drive a car (as you do!) would not find it hard.

Short of pouring beer onto the PC, it would be extremely hard to mess anything up!

Reactions: TEST DRIVER

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
By the way, T-D, I'm happy to guide you through it using private messaging on this forum. Send me a message if you want to try a new thing! You'll feel good about making it work....

Reactions: TEST DRIVER

·
Registered
626 Posts
Cassettes and CDs in cars take up huge space, can easily be stolen, get destroyed by heat and sun, and are dangerous to fiddle about with.

A tiny 64GB SD card would hold, say about 6400 MP3 songs at maximum quality (or double that at low quality). Call it 64 cassette tapes or 64 CDs. You just leave the SD card in the slot, and the stereo will play through them. I recommend playlists though, each of which lets you set up any groupings of songs to play as if it were a big album (like by genre, band etc but it's arbitrary).

Win 8.1 is fine for anything you might want to do. I assume it is Windows 8.1 64bit version. Download the fre:ac program and we can show you some PC fun - easier than you think....

I posted my last post before seeing this. Yes it is 64 bit.

I take your point about the amount of space taken up by tapes and cds. Do you remember the PYE car record players that played 45s?

Hold on i see i have another two replies.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Spotify free is the way to go, you create your own music lists.
The problem with cassette tapes is 1 they wear out 2 they tangle 3 not easy to find a track 4 you listen in order they on the tape 5 limited play time then you have change 6 storage of cassettes. Probably a few others as well. Personally, I glad we are where we are, at 75 I still in amazement at technology and look forward to the future.
Yes all very valid points.

At 75 you certainly put me to shame.

We can give you a 5-step guide to getting songs on an sd card for your car from a CD. I promise that anyone who knows how to drive a car (as you do!) would not find it hard.

Short of pouring beer onto the PC, it would be extremely hard to mess anything up!
That sounds great but with my lack of techie knowledge i could wreck anything.

By the way, T-D, I'm happy to guide you through it using private messaging on this forum. Send me a message if you want to try a new thing! You'll feel good about making it work....
That is so nice of you Steve.

I still think is it really worth all this trouble when i am in my car so rarely. If i did manage to put music onto an SD card, i would probably only have the time on the road to listen to one song or half a song.

I am not saying i will never try this, but i will probably give it a go when i am feeling braver.

Thanks again Steve for your kind offer and i will private message you if i decide to give it a go.

Now i only need to work out how to send a private message lol help, only joking.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Just to update Steve. I have purchased an SD card from ebay which i should get next week.

Its a San disc Ultra Micro SDXC 64 bit with an SD Adapter. It only cost £9-50 including free postage.

I hope its the correct one for music as it only mentions pics and vids but im sure it will be ok.

At least i have made a start.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
It will work fine.
SD-cards can store any kind of data, music or whatever.
The first time you put it into your laptop (in the holder/sleeve thing), Windows may ask if you want to "format" the card. The default choice will be fine (maybe exFAT, but NTFS is OK). It may be that the card is already formatted, in which case Windows won't ask you to do anything. You should see an open folder (probably empty), or a new "drive" represented by a letter in "My Computer" - if you have that icon on your desktop. If none of this happens, send me a PM.

If you are using Windows 8.1 unchanged, as it came on your laptop, it may be confusing/annoying because it tends to jump between being "a desktop" and a thing like a phone where you don't see "windows and files" but only one program at a time. We can sort that out so it makes all makes sense!

·
Registered
626 Posts
It will work fine.
SD-cards can store any kind of data, music or whatever.
The first time you put it into your laptop (in the holder/sleeve thing), Windows may ask if you want to "format" the card. The default choice will be fine (maybe exFAT, but NTFS is OK). It may be that the card is already formatted, in which case Windows won't ask you to do anything. You should see an open folder (probably empty), or a new "drive" represented by a letter in "My Computer" - if you have that icon on your desktop. If none of this happens, send me a PM.

If you are using Windows 8.1 unchanged, as it came on your laptop, it may be confusing/annoying because it tends to jump between being "a desktop" and a thing like a phone where you don't see "windows and files" but only one program at a time. We can sort that out so it makes all makes sense!

Yes it is Windows 8.1 unchanged.

I should get the card delivered on Weds and will PM you. I think you hover the cursor on your name and click on MESSAGE at the bottom right to PM you. It goes to a page saying Conversation starter.

I have had a look at fre ac and it says you have to have Windows 10 as a minimum, so it wont be any good for my 8.1

Would Windows Media player be any good for music transfer to the card?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I use Windows Media

Thanks. I have had look at Media player but i have never used it. I did get a file to come up on it but it would not open when i clicked on it. It did nothing.

Now to top it all off i can not get the CD draw on my Laptop to open when i press the button at the side.

I am just experimenting with these things ready for when i get the SD card on Weds. However if i cant open the CD draw it will be a waste of time as its not possible to copy tunes from You Tube to a Card, unless there is anywhere else online where you can copy tunes. Perhaps you can from Spotify?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Freemansteve has made an offer to you so I will leave it to him to take you through the sdcard and music copying.
I still reckon though that Spotify (or similar) could be the way to go, could be. Do you have a smartphone that connects to the internet? Spotify is an app you download to a computer, and a smartphone is a computer, and you either listen to play lists already made up or create your own. I have bought many vinyl Lp’s or CD’s in my time but really only like a few songs. If those “few” songs are available on Spotify then you can Crete your own playlists, call it what you want, and add to it, make the list grow. Then add more lists, or not, as time goes on, different singers, different genres, all to suit you and up your listening mood. I believe if you pay for the service you can download the songs to your computer/phone so you don’t need internet connection all the time, but that is part of the £9.99 per month fee. I use the FREE version, which doesn’t allow that, but I get adverts every 30 minutes….bit like a radio really. Some of my lists are 100 song, say 3 minute per song and I got 5 hours music, that I have chosen, without touching any buttons. and apart from the app, nothing stored on my phone. When at home I can plug in ear phones, or use Bluetooth earphones, or bluetooth speakers, I could have the Spotify app on my laptop or pc and do the same. Saves copying your vinyl or cd’s, and even music on you cassettes may be available.
Leave it with you To choose.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Yes it is Windows 8.1 unchanged.

I have had a look at fre ac and it says you have to have Windows 10 as a minimum, so it wont be any good for my 8.1

Would Windows Media player be any good for music transfer to the card
Fre:ac works fine on W 8.1 - I use it several times a week. Don't download from the Microsoft store though, download the "x86 64 bit" self-extracting installer.

Media player, as standard, on W 8.1 has all sorts of fussy limitations for me (especially for automatic naming of tracks/artists etc), so I have avoided it, but if you prefer it, someone will be able to guide you how to use it. If you try fre:ac, I'll help using private messages, as I said.

Actually, when you have the SD card, PM me your email address and we can set it all up using emails - if you can. It's much faster to put text, diagrams and pictures into emails!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Freemansteve has made an offer to you so I will leave it to him to take you through the sdcard and music copying.
I still reckon though that Spotify (or similar) could be the way to go, could be. Do you have a smartphone that connects to the internet? Spotify is an app you download to a computer, and a smartphone is a computer, and you either listen to play lists already made up or create your own. I have bought many vinyl Lp’s or CD’s in my time but really only like a few songs. If those “few” songs are available on Spotify then you can Crete your own playlists, call it what you want, and add to it, make the list grow. Then add more lists, or not, as time goes on, different singers, different genres, all to suit you and up your listening mood. I believe if you pay for the service you can download the songs to your computer/phone so you don’t need internet connection all the time, but that is part of the £9.99 per month fee. I use the FREE version, which doesn’t allow that, but I get adverts every 30 minutes….bit like a radio really. Some of my lists are 100 song, say 3 minute per song and I got 5 hours music, that I have chosen, without touching any buttons. and apart from the app, nothing stored on my phone. When at home I can plug in ear phones, or use Bluetooth earphones, or bluetooth speakers, I could have the Spotify app on my laptop or pc and do the same. Saves copying your vinyl or cd’s, and even music on you cassettes may be available.
Leave it with you To choose.
Yes Spotify sounds good as long as i can copy tracks onto the SD card from it.

I have worked out how to open the CD draw by clicking on the CD drive.

Thanks for all your input and help.

Fre:ac works fine on W 8.1 - I use it several times a week. Don't download from the Microsoft store though, download the "x86 64 bit" self-extracting installer.

Media player, as standard, on W 8.1 has all sorts of fussy limitations for me (especially for automatic naming of tracks/artists etc), so I have avoided it, but if you prefer it, someone will be able to guide you how to use it. If you try fre:ac, I'll help using private messages, as I said.

Actually, when you have the SD card, PM me your email address and we can set it all up using emails - if you can. It's much faster to put text, diagrams and pictures into emails!
Thanks a lot Steve. I will e mail you on Weds.

I think the self extracting thing was the next one down on the fre ac page.

·
Registered
626 Posts
This:

"x86 (64 bit): freac-1.1.6-windows-x64.exe"

(the above is a link - just click on the underlined bit. Easier on a PC though!)

Steve I have not downloaded the link and i am not going to bother now.

Let me explain. Firstly i sent you a PM the other day but im not even sure if i did that right. However it does not matter as.............today i got the SD card in the post and inserted it in the laptop I put a music CD in the laptop draw and clicked on Media player. I do not know what i did next but the computer went crazy turning the screen black then on again over and over.

I managed to turn the PC off, but when i turned it on again it took ages to to get going and i thought i had broken it. I could not get the CD draw to open to remove my music CD. Then suddenly the CD started playing. I tried all sorts and eventually got the draw open and removed the CD.

Thank goodness my Laptop is now working as it should, so i am not messing around any more. I have managed without a music SD card for all these years and will continue to just use the car radio. I can use the SD card in my camera instead to increase the storage.

Thanks again for all your input and help, but i will stick with what i know best. Car topics and Test Driving.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think your laptop is messed up, but OK!

I think I am messed up never mind the laptop.

Did you get the PM i sent you a few days ago, or did i do that wrong?

I really dont know why i started all this fuss over Music SD cards as 9 times out of 10 i dont even listen to the radio in my car. I prefer the sound of the engine.

I am ready to collect my prize now after winning Tech wizard of the year.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I did get the PM and was writing a response but gave up when you did! So you got it right.

Your laptop is basically fine; it's only a couple of config settings that are messed up.

It is worth running some (free) anti virus software on any PC though. There are viruses out there but the delivery mechanism has become much more sneaky and sophisticated. Contrary to popular belief, viruses are very rare in popular software downloads, as they are pretty easy to detect - hundreds of thousands of people use all sorts of freeware without issue. It's when users attempt to get something a bit unusual or start clicking on links in emails, or on certain websites that unprotected PCs will acquire "malware". Most common that hackers target companies for ransom these days - those guys are sneaky (and often Russian!)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts