Up Owners Club banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think I am messed up never mind the laptop.
Did you get the PM i sent you a few days ago, or did i do that wrong?
I really dont know why i started all this fuss over Music SD cards as 9 times out of 10 i dont even listen to the radio in my car. I prefer the sound of the engine.
I am ready to collect my prize now after winning Tech wizard of the year.
Don’t worry too much about inability to get on with computer technology. Many people can’t.
I am ok with computer tech, got loads in the home, and love it in a car (though my CitiGo doesn’t have much techs gadgets).
Hower you have something I have not, and that is a good understanding of English. You must have, or you wouldn’t be a motoring journalist. So whilst you get frustrated over tech stuff I can get frustrated choosing the right word for the right occasion. Never was good with English at school, maths and science ok, but not English.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I did get the PM and was writing a response but gave up when you did! So you got it right.

Your laptop is basically fine; it's only a couple of config settings that are messed up.

It is worth running some (free) anti virus software on any PC though. There are viruses out there but the delivery mechanism has become much more sneaky and sophisticated. Contrary to popular belief, viruses are very rare in popular software downloads, as they are pretty easy to detect - hundreds of thousands of people use all sorts of freeware without issue. It's when users attempt to get something a bit unusual or start clicking on links in emails, or on certain websites that unprotected PCs will acquire "malware". Most common that hackers target companies for ransom these days - those guys are sneaky (and often Russian!)
I am pleased i did the PM right.

I have got free anti virus and it has always done a good job.

When i went on Spotify i noticed it said download the app at the bottom left of the page, so i downloaded it thinking it would bring up the feature in the list " Store to SD Card" as i had seen on Y.T. As i was downloading, a message came up saying "The Firewall has blocked some of the download" so the anti virus is working fine.

As it turned out the "store to SD Card" bit did not come up anyway. The site was no different from Spotify without the App so i uninstalled it.

Don’t worry too much about inability to get on with computer technology. Many people can’t.
I am ok with computer tech, got loads in the home, and love it in a car (though my CitiGo doesn’t have much techs gadgets).
Hower you have something I have not, and that is a good understanding of English. You must have, or you wouldn’t be a motoring journalist. So whilst you get frustrated over tech stuff I can get frustrated choosing the right word for the right occasion. Never was good with English at school, maths and science ok, but not English.
Thank you for saying that.

I was always top in English and Maths at school, but rubbish at everything else. I have been car mad since i was 3 years old. The only toys i ever wanted were toy cars, I had loads but gave them all away when i was 14 and discovered girls.

I was driving on private land from age 10 and passed my 3 wheeler (Reliant) car test the same week as my 16th birthday. You could drive a 3 wheeler at 16 in those days. Then my 4 wheeler car test at 17.Then LGV and PCV. I was a car Driving Instructor and then a PCV Trainer. Now retired and loving every moment. It is the best job i have ever had.

There is nothing wrong with your English. It looks perfectly fine to me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
JayEmm on why you shouldn’t buy an Up! GTi. He does make some valid points but ultimately it’s not an Up! GTi, personally I’d feel short changed even though you get a truckload of spec, maybe I’ve turned into a badge snob but would you actually admit to having bought a Kia Picanto down the pub… no, thought not.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I sat in a Picanto a few weeks ago just to try the heated seats, but they turned out to be tepid seats. The heated steering wheel was nice and warm though.

I am a bit of a badge snob as well. If not then the latest top of the range Dacia Sandero automatic is excellent and only costs £14000.

The Picanto is good but i would only want it in automatic which you can only get with the lower powered engine in X line S spec. 0-60 in 16 seconds but you do get all the toys and the 7 year warranty.

I am surprised he did not mention the Hyundai i10. Same company and same car in a different dress.

The quality of the UP GTI is in a different league as is the performance. Also you can say i have a GTI down the pub, or at least i could say that down the curry house as i do not go to pubs.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
We heard you usually drive with your knees on the steering wheel, so surely, the Picanto's warm steering wheel is for you? :)

The Dacias are fab cars for the cash.... It would be my budget choice, or maybe an electric scooter, so I can mash pedestrians on the pavements....

·
Registered
869 Posts
I watched this video I think I've given up on this idiot now.... 99bhp and 0 to 60 just under 10 seconds and it looks like a piece of junk to my eyes they aren't even rivals the badge the quality and the way our cars hold there value make him look like a total idiot! I'm a car nut with petrol in my veins is his mantra yet he thinks it's amazing because of the kit included in the price I'm not sure about him but I like driving my cars rather than getting excited by the multimedia screen of what I consider a very 2nd rate brand...

They are just like Skoda not even cheap anymore and before anyone says it I know a Skoda is a VW in drag and good cars I had one as a loan car once and looking at the badge on the steering wheel made me feel like a right gypo 🤣 certain ingrained associations can't be erased for me but I do have severe OCD!!!!

So please anyone who drives any cars mentioned don't take offence, To me a budget car is a Dacia and they are priced accordingly most of the other stuff is now as dear as the premium brands so I'm out 🤠

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
We are at the end of an era.
Soon, all affordable cars will either be Chinese, or contain so many Chinese parts, they may as well be, so a Korean car may not be so bad!

Reactions: TEST DRIVER

·
Registered
626 Posts
We heard you usually drive with your knees on the steering wheel, so surely, the Picanto's warm steering wheel is for you? :)

The Dacias are fab cars for the cash.... It would be my budget choice, or maybe an electric scooter, so I can mash pedestrians on the pavements....

It is my big belly that sometimes touches the steering wheel depending on how many curries i had eaten that week.

I am only joking as i always sit far back from the wheel, arms and legs straight, racing driver style as i drive in the traffic flat out at 10 MPH.

The previous Dacia Sandero was not very good but the latest updated one is excellent for the price and has received good reviews.

I would only be interested in an electric scooter or electric bike if they had heated or tepid handlebars, plus storage for my curry. I could always put the scooter or bike in the boot of my Bentley GT.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts