Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I test drove the Skoda Citigo Elegance today, inhad to get that comparison out of the way. I have to say I'm now praying that the Up that I'm due to test drive on Monday is a superior car?
How disappointed I was with the Citigo. I found it to be sluggish from a stand still and waited for any power to kick in just to beat the very slow oncoming bus. 2nd gear on and the Citigo improved. Ok its only a 1.L so I didn't expect to get 0-60 in 10 seconds but neither did I expect to wait for what felt like a rubber band to wind up before I was able to pull away!
I found the interior to be very basic and a Little cheap and flimsy, it certainly didn't have any wow factor whatsoever. This is the sister car in spec to the High Up. What a disappointment. Not good from the VW group in my eyes.
Does anyone else have similar views on the Citigo. I'd be interested to hear another opinion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well it can't be everything, economical to buy and run, and at the same time with great acceleration and luxurious... I like it a lot and would buy it again. You are of course right to search for a model that best meets your needs and expectations.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a HIGH Up! 5 door 75 BHP Bluemotion, and find it very nippy and the build quality excellent on such a small car. It is leagues ahead of my Toyota Yaris TR 1.0L I had previously in all areas!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Bluemotion 75ps is the spec I am looking to buy but tell me, do you find the fuel saving engine stop, start frustrsting? The Citigo must have done it 4 times in 50 yards while I was in a queue approaching a roundabout, a design feature that definitely could drive you mad before it saves on your pocket. The question therefore, is it a better idea not to pay the £360 extra to have the BlueMotion or just consider the standard 1.0 75ps engine and use the money difference to upgrade with another of VW extras? Decisions, decisions!
You've got the BM, what do think. Are you happy you chose that specifically?
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wenders, you need to rev it otherwise it won't go. Once you give it some beans (3k seems to be optimum) it leaves most other cars behind. Regards start and stop, I don't like how it stops and starts the engine during e.g. 3 point turns. Bit mentahl and dangerous IMHO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you keep your foot on the clutch it wont turn off and certainly is not dangerous.It will probably pay for itself over 4 years or less

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wenders said:
The Bluemotion 75ps is the spec I am looking to buy but tell me, do you find the fuel saving engine stop, start frustrsting? The Citigo must have done it 4 times in 50 yards while I was in a queue approaching a roundabout, a design feature that definitely could drive you mad before it saves on your pocket. The question therefore, is it a better idea not to pay the £360 extra to have the BlueMotion or just consider the standard 1.0 75ps engine and use the money difference to upgrade with another of VW extras? Decisions, decisions!
You've got the BM, what do think. Are you happy you chose that specifically?
Thanks
Hi Wenders. So far I've found it a very good investment! I chose it specifically, because I spend a lot of time stuck in traffic jams, especially when I finish work. It has saved me fuel already, and get more miles to the tank, and way better MPG than my previous Toyota Yaris could manage, and that had a bigger fuel tank.
The Stop/Start only kicks in if you have the handbrake on, the car in neutral, and your foot off the clutch. It can be a pain sometimes if the traffic moves on every 20 to 30 seconds or so, but I sometimes keep my clutch dipped in those instances. Also in some instances, the Stop/start will not work, depending on outside temp, battery drain, engine temp ect, but it's not often. For me I think I'll re-coup the extra layout quite quickly and so far very pleased with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for your insight. Its handy to be able to draw on other peoples experiences. How long have you had the Up! And did you you have to pay a delivery fee please?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Up! Mii or Citigo they are all the same car with the same engines gearbox and suspensions.I would have thought the only differences are the looks and the trim !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't think that the Mii or Citigo offered different colour choices of interior and body colour dashboards, all I think give a better visual finish. I realise that they are pretty much the same car under a different manufacturers name. The Up! Is selling better for a reason?!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Derkie54 said:
Up! Mii or Citigo they are all the same car with the same engines gearbox and suspensions.I would have thought the only differences are the looks and the trim !

Sadlyperceivedbadge kudos as well as I think Skoda and SEAT make some cracking cars just lack the kudos that the VW badge brings.

·
Registered
176 Posts
jezyg said:
Derkie54 said:

Sadlyperceivedbadge kudos as well as I think Skoda and SEAT make some cracking cars just lack the kudos that the VW badge brings.

Exactly the same with the Aygo/107/C1

The Aygo is seen to have the greater kudos, the 107 has the "sporting" image and the C1 is the "cheap as chips" value for money. At part-ex time, far better to have an Aygo

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wenders said:
Thanks very much for your insight. Its handy to be able to draw on other peoples experiences. How long have you had the Up! And did you you have to pay a delivery fee please?
Hi Wenders. Sorry about the delay in replying to you. I've had my up! only 3 weeks and covered only 500 miles, but I use it a LOT every day. Much more than I would like really, that's why I went for the BMT, being stuck in traffic all the time. As regards a delivery fee, no I didn't but it was probably absorbed in the overall cost/finance package. I hope this helps, but if not don't hesitate to ask, I'll be glad to help where possible. It's a big expense that needs a lot of thought before undertaking and you could be "stuck" with it for years if it's wrong.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi , i dont believe you need the handbrake on for the stp/st sys to work. you must be in neutral and the cars mustcome to a standstill and of course foot off the clutch..........
white UP! 75 blue motion Tech5 door 1 week old......... so far fantastic

happy motoring

·
Registered
397 Posts
Having been extremely satisfied with three Skoda Octavias as company cars, I would have happily had a CityGo, but ... the DECIDING factor in going for the VW was

1) The visual presentation of the display of the multi function computer at the bottom of the speedo. On my copy of the CityGo brochure I've written on pages 5 and 23, with an arrow pointing to the display, "Not as good/clear/easy to read as VW up!" A small matter, perhaps, but I like using this option - I regularly scroll between the various options as I drive - particularly on longer journeys.

Then -
2) VW dealership is 1 mile away; Skoda is 12 miles away
3) Better p/x on Nissan Qashqai from VW, so that made up for slightly lower cost of CityGo
4) Personal preference for VW's (a) interior trim and colours and (b) steering wheel.

I could have lived with just ONE of items 2 3 and 4 but it was the combination that made me opt for the VW (even though I would have preferred the Skoda's 14" wheels AND the much-easier-to clean 'Apus' alloys over the VW's)

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have to say I don't share the review of the original poster. What are you comparing against?

I found the 3 all drove the same really performance wise. For a little engine its very usable and versatile.

Inside slightly better than some of the others out there.

Coming from a fiat 500 twinair, the citigo albeit it slower is a better town car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The up! is a VW. Thats a good reason that you get more money if you want to resale than the citigo or mii. That happend with aygo/c1/107. The aygo is more expensive to buy as a used car than the other 2 because its a toyota.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts