Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few of these now. They look really sporty and cool. Are they better than a VW High up?

·
Registered
88 Posts
That'll be the Citigo Sport, and I have no idea if it'll be better than the High UP!, does look nice but not too keen on their red interiors

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've not personally seen a Citigo Sport but my brother does have the Citigo SE which is the equivalent ofof the Move Up.

In terms of comparing these two models the difference is pretty obvious. The Up is just a bit better quality, the gloss dash compared to the plastic dash of the Citigo, but I think in the Sport that isn't the issue because I believe it has the same dash as the Up. Things like the steering wheel, gear stick and little bits like that, the Up definitely looks better. Saying that, my brother swears by his Citigo and there isn't a single thing he likes better on the Up.

As I said, I've not seen the Citigo Sport or High Up but from their spec they look pretty much the same. Personally I'm not a fan of the stripes on the Sport but I really do like the look of the body kit on the Sport. The interior on the other hand, isn't my cup of tea.

But from what I've looked at they pretty much look like the comparable models. Guess it's presonal preference on which you exterior you like.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
AlanG said:
... Are they better than a VW High up?
Also answering Smyth ...

None of them is better ...
They are different.

Which one has the better front or back? It is a matter of taste ...
I liked the gray plastic dash of my Lupo and I like the red painted metal dash of my up! ...

Compared to the price, the quality is the same ...
Compared to a pure take up!, a Citigo at the same price might have some nice extras.

But they are all made in the same factory and I don't think the up! section gets the "more/better skilled workers". I also don't think that Skoda plastic parts come from manufacturer X while up! parts come from Y. Many parts are made on the same machines with slightly different molding forms.

10 years ago I worked in a company which produced "slide mounts" (the plastic frames around a "photo slide"). We produced slide mounts for different companies who sold them under their own name - built by the same workers with the same quality control ...

·
Registered
727 Posts
AlanG said:
I've seen a few of these now. They look really sporty and cool. Are they better than a VW High up?
Same same but different. Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
957 Posts
AlanG said:
Looking sporty makes all the boy racers out there try to beat you at the traffic lights !
Unfortunately it's no quicker than a standard car.......or am I wrong !

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Citigo 'Sport' only came with the 60PS engine so just exactly the same engine as the standard car. The Citigo Sport has now been superceded by the (60PS only) Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo pictured below. No central stripe on this model but these foils are now a £205 option on the Elegance and SE models whereas before they were exclusively for the Sport.

The car below is Tornado Red (exactly the same as the VW up!) so it's just a bad Skoda press photo which makes it look a dowdy maroon. It also comes in Candy White, Brilliant Silver Metallic and Deep Black Pearlescent.

Edited by: Robbyrook

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I was comparing the Citigo against the UP! before purchasing, the Citigo SE was available with the 75bhp engine, whereas the Move Up! was only offered with 60bhp.

Had the Move Up! been available in 75bhp guise, I'd have opted for it.

The only reason I opted for a High Up over a Citigo, having traded down from a Mercedes, was due to the fact the High Up was available with a more powerful engine and more aesthetically pleasing features, to which I'd grown accustomed.

I did consider the Citigo Elegance, as I quite liked the option of a beige interior. However, due to brand snobbery, I opted for the VW, since the gloss dashboard of the High Up appeared just a little more up-market.

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
The other thing to consider is the residual value, even though they are all made in the same factory by the same people, the VW will always command a higher price at the end of the day, as people's perceptions are that VW is a brand associated with quality and reliability. Brand snobbery will always dictate values!

I bought the Up! as it was for sale at the dealership where I work and I got a bit of staff discount, and it had the spec that I couldn't miss out on. 5 years from now I'm giving it to my son for his first car, so residual value isn't a concern to me. I've never actually traded a car in for a new one (I'm keeping my Lupo GTino matter what!), but had I spotted the Seat or the Skoda with the same spec for the right money,I would definitely have considered them both.....though I think Up! is a better name for the car than Mii or CityGo!!! Edited by: lupogtiboy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts