Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find it a bit off putting when they label a car a 'city car'?

70% of my driving is on the motorway, anyone else have a commute on the motorway and care to share their experiences?

Potential new owner :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I drive 70-80 % on the motorway. I try to drive around 95 km/h (59 mph) for saving fuel. Around 4,2 l/100 km (67,3 mpg) in that speed start with cool engine. Up is really nice on motorway.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Answered you in one of your other threads ...

German motorway 100/120/130 km/h (60-80 mph) is no problem at all ...
It is no acceleration wonder, but my 60BHP up! is everything else than "a brick on the motorway" ...

You might get into troubles if you live in the Lower Rhine Area North of Rheinberg (or between Soost and Paderborn). There many cars drive with 100-130 mph and more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
At present it is the best citycar for motorway driving. I had a new model i10 and the Mii on the same round trip and the Mii was better able to keep pace and felt more stable on the motorway.
I don't expect the Twingo to be as good on the motorway due to the engine being in the back and it having high sides. The aygo/c1/108 are acknowleged by any motoring journalist who test them to be not as good outside of town. It looks like the VAG triplets will be the bets motorway cars in the class for the foreseeable future but without cruise control, steering wheel controls and better sound proofing it will never be a great car on the motorway. The 1 litre Peugeot 208 I hired recently had cruise, wheel controls and sound proofing. It was still short of performance but relaxing while maintaining a steady pace was easier to achieve.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have cruise control on my up and find it an excellent drive on dual carriageways and motorways. I have never understood the complaints about noise and find that on high speed roads I am overtaking more cars than I am being overtaken. I think the Up! is at home in the city and motorways.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was driving on motorways on one side of a flight in the hire city cars and then in my ownon the far side and there is no comparission. I'm cruising at over 130kmph in my own car while in the city cars I have to keep it below 120kmph as they eat fuel and are too noisy to hear the radio. VAG triplets are the best of them though.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Unable to comment as our speed limit is 70 miles per hour which is less than 120 kilometres per hour. Keeping to the speed limits the Up! is fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
To share my view of it, my commute is on 60mph A- roads where I think I Up! is great for, drives nicely and gets good economy.
I periodically drive 300 miles acrossthe country to visit family on motorways, the Up! drives very nicely and doesn't feel too sluggish or uncomfortable, and can get up to speed no problem, but the MPG drops off quickly at motorway speeds, and the engine arguably will be working quite hard.

Depending on what the selling points were that tempted you in and budget, I think I would tempted by a diesel engined polo or similar in your situation

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to do long commutes for work on a regular basis roughly 250-300 mile round trips and my up is perfect for this kind of driving as well as in the city when I'm at home :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
venusinfurs said:
UK Motorway speeds, 70mph, is it really that much lower than other countries? 
Here in Australia, the speed limit is 100 km/h on most freeways/highways.
There are a few freeways/highways that have a 110 km/h speed limit, but they very few in number.
My Up! purrs along very comfortably at 100 km/h.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Up is a very nice car on A roads and motorways. I regularly drive on dual carriageways during my daily commute, and it is fine. I'd say the diesel Polo I had for 3 weeks on loan was better on long journeys, but only because it had a more spongey suspension.

I guess they have to call it a city car because it is small as per other city cars, but noise levels, confort and power are on a par with larger cars and superior to the Pug 107 etc.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've never had a problem driving it on a motorway.

Overtakes just fine when it needs to and you see your MPG hover in the 60+ region if you drive sensibly. Looks better than all the KAs driving on there, that's for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drive 46 miles of my daily 50 mile round trip commute on the motorway.

The car (75bhp) is absolutely fine up to an indicated 80+ mph (i.e. it can still comfortably accelerate past slower traffic). I've also found that revving it doesn't hurt it and getting up to motorway speeds is no hassle either.

It's a brilliant all rounder.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't find it offensive when the up is labelled as a city car, particularly since it's marketed as one.

Moreover, despite the 75bhp beneath the hood, I find it well accomplished when driving on roads that allow for higher speeds.

I regularly accelerate up the Bowes Incline (a stretch of dual carriageway on the A1 in Gateshead), where the speed limit changes from 50mph to national, without the need to drop down into 4th gear as my UP! keeps up with other traffic with consummate ease.

In less than a fortnight's time, I'm taking my UP! on its first long journey, to the Cotswolds, comfortable in the knowledge that it's sufficiently up to such a challenge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts