Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.Just a thought that occured to me today - I didn't go for the drivers assistance pack but if anyone has the city emergency brakes, have you tried it out yet?
One of the first things I'd be tempted to do would be to crawl up to some static traffic withboth feetflat on the carpet!

Also, am I right in believing the assistance pack comes with a form of traction control?
(Sorry if I should have posted this in the Tech section).

Edited by: MattyUp

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
thats a interesting though, i never thought about testing it out, im not getting it either tho, maybe someone should test theirs out...

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't think I would be too keen to try this out - keep it for that emergency.

·
Registered
51 Posts
wouldn't look great on the insurance form would it!!
"I was seeing if my car would stop itself and it didn't"

·
Registered
619 Posts
It makes you wonder who would pay out if the emergency brakingfailed andthere was a collision? I thought this was the sort of dilemma that put manufacturers off building this kind of technology in to cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did try it out!..
Or rather my friend did - he volunteered to stand in the middle of the road as i tried to run him down..

The first time it worked perfect! The car stopped a few inches from his leg.. But the second time it did strike him gently.. :) very brave of him....
The engines stops and an icon in the dashboard, shows that it has used the emergency brake.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drdal said:
I did try it out!..
Or rather my friend did - he volunteered to stand in the middle of the road as i tried to run him down..

The first time it worked perfect! The car stopped a few inches from his leg.. But the second time it did strike him gently.. :) very brave of him....
The engines stops and an icon in the dashboard, shows that it has used the emergency brake.
I didn't mean try it out on a person!! Haha!!Your friend certainly has balls for letting you try it outon him! Well done

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
haha! oh wow, that is one trusting friend! but well done for checking out that it works properly!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think it was very stupid of both of you. Why didn't you try it out on his stationary car instead. You could have injured him for life..... I suppose you will think me a spoilsport and tell me to mind my own business. But if you think about what you tried, surely you can realise the consequences if it hadn't worked.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
there is a video on a website somewhere now of some reviewer testing it out, but it wouldnt seem to load the video...

·
Registered
208 Posts
willowaz said:
there is a video on a website somewhere now of some reviewer testing it out, but it wouldnt seem to load the video...
Yes, we've seen that on YouTube, he drives into a blown up model of a VW up! It's a good video, I remember the video was 3 mins 28 secs long, but can't find it now!! I must admit, I'd love to try it out on another car LOL but the sensible part of me, won't let me

·
Registered
727 Posts
You guys need to go back and read the up! brochure, it states:

"The new up! is the first model in its class to feature the
innovative City emergency braking, as part of the
Driver's assistance pack. It utilises a laser sensor to
observe the traffic in front, and at speeds up to 19 mph,
assists the driver to detect critical distance situations in
front of the vehicle, thereby reducing the risk* of rearend
collisions."

* take note, it doesn't saythe city emergency brakingeliminates the risk of rearend collisions, it only reduces the risk. There's also a disclaimer somewhereon Volkswagen's sitethat states the system isn't very good at detecting cyclists or pedestrians.
Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
315 Posts
VWild1 Thanks for what I consider is aback up to my earlier post. Absolutely stupid to try these things out on another human being. Come to that it is stupid to try it out on anything. I don't think the insurers would approve. Please guys and gals read the books provided with the car. Your salesperson will have told you that already of course. And by the way buy and read the latest Highway Code.

·
Registered
553 Posts
MattyUp said:
drdal said:
I did try it out!..

I didn't mean try it out on a person!! Haha!!Your friend certainly has balls for letting you try it outon him! Well done
Oh yes indeed your friends certainly has got balls.......

Its just a pity they are in his HEAD and not in his pants!......

I'll bet he touches wet paint to see if its dry!........and peeps into the fridge with the door open just a crack to see if the light goes out!.....

Still we need these kinds of people to sort out the Gene Pool!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoa whoa whoa! Calm down peeps! This was only meant to be a light hearted thread!

I'm sure drdal was not travelling at the full 19mph when trying this out on his friend.
Besides, at least we all now know City Emergency Braking is fairly good at not running down pedestrians!

Please note that none of the above experiments should be compared to the grave danger associated with checking if the fridge light turns off when you close the door.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bingalau - You are right... and I will not recommend anyone else to try this stupid stunt..
- That said, I only drove 5-10 Km/h and I was ready to hit the brakes if it did not work.. remember that City Emergency Brakes ONLY work with speeds below 30 Km/h..!

DRIVE SAFE

Edited by: drdal

·
Registered
315 Posts
drdal. Now that's what I call having guts... Admitting you were wrong takes guts. Well done for that. By the way if you have never been hit by something travelling at five MPH, I can assure you that it hurts a lot. I was looking back towards a friend and walking in the opposite direction whilst talking to him. Then I turned around and walked straight into a lamp post. It hurts and I doubt if I was doing two MPH.

Where's that gene pool? I think I will jump in.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I think I will back up what matty says, this was all only ment to be light hearted guys... don't take life too seriously!

none of us went hey... everyone should go out and try to run someone over to see if the emergency braking works... the point from me was more like how do you know what youve paid for actually works?

sorry if anyone thought bad of any of us...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thankyouwillowaz and sorry to all who thought me irresponsible

Back to light-heartedness:

Bingalau said:
I was looking back towards a friend and walking in the opposite direction whilst talking to him. Then I turned around and walked straight into a lamp post. It hurts and I doubt if I was doing two MPH.

Where's that gene pool? I think I will jump in.

I found this for you:

It's a good job the lampost was stationary at the time - I dread to think what the outcome could have been had it been travelling at full tilt!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts