Up Owners Club banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took my car on Friday and I had to take it on delear's specialized service in order to check all this sounds everyone hear because I ve also could hear them (there are normal sounds for our up) they compare it with two more up which they had in show room and they made all the check which was needed.

Anyway to our topic, the guy who checked my up took me to the nearest station and before that showed me on the parking bar how effective is the city emegercency break. It was really really nice for me to see that it works. Great.. But I need to say that we have to be concetrate every time..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Leif.
Thanks for that link, I enjoyed watching it and the ending was brilliant. I hadn't seen that one before. But I think the walking into a lampost/tree is probably something most of us have done or come **** near it. I repeat "It does hurt"....

·
Registered
421 Posts
We had it on the test drive car but to be honest I think you'd have to replace the seats first if you were waiting for them to stop you as I'm sure it would be a brown trouser moment.

Go with the age old wisdom of leave a clear gap in front, unless you're on a motorway when people mistake breaking distance as their right of way!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know what you mean about on the Motorway, I hate that, I always leave the required safe stopping distance between me and the car in front, but I always seem to get some idiot cut me up and drive right in front of me!! It's so annoying

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Melody said:
I know what you mean about on the Motorway, I hate that, I always leave the required safe stopping distance between me and the car in front, but I always seem to get some idiot cut me up and drive right in front of me!! It's so annoying
I know what you mean. I had one chap nearly side swipe me, and I hooted to warn him of my presence. He must have been annoyed as he sped up, pulled in front, and emergency braked. There was no impact as I know how to deal with nutters. He got out and shouted at me for being in the wrong lane, hadn't I seen the signs. Next day I checked the signs, and he was wrong, he was just a bully.

It still won't deal with side swipes though. Twice in the last month I've almost had my car totalled by people who cut across lanes on a roundabout, one being a white van. On each occasion I decided to slow down, as I thought they'd ignore the lane markings.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've been out a few times in my new Up! and although I have had the system on, I haven't noticed any difference. So I still don't now if it works or not. I probably never will, because I always do my own braking well in time (I hope). But it is nice to know that it is there in the background. If it never works automatically in my car then I know I am doing something correctly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bingalau said:
I've been out a few times in my new Up! and although I have had the system on, I haven't noticed any difference. So I still don't now if it works or not. I probably never will, because I always do my own braking well in time (I hope). But it is nice to know that it is there in the background. If it never works automatically in my car then I know I am doing something correctly.  
Yeah, me too! And if we ever did need it, hopefully it would prevent an accident :) Which would be well worth the extra cost, should get cheaper insurance with it though

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Once a bus pulled in front of me... I went for the brake, but could feel that the car beat me to it...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Before adding the option I watched some good (and failed) tests on YT. Definitely good to know that "someone" is looking ahead even if you are not, but at the same time I am surprised that the tech hasn't changed in the 6 years it's been available, i.e. the speed below which it will work best is the same.

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
It makes you wonder who would pay out if the emergency braking failed and there was a collision? I thought this was the sort of dilemma that put manufacturers off building this kind of technology in to cars.
It will be very plainly put into the Volkswagen literature that these are only "driver aids" and the ultimate responsibility for controlling the vehicle is down to the driver.

This is why I believe self-serving cars will never be fully released on the roads for decades - not because of the technology, but the background legislative framework that will need to be agreed before they are permitted.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts