Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurray ""“ after 26 days, the tracker has finally moved from "Processing your order" to "Build week confirmed"
Doesn't say what the build week is actually confirmed as ""“ is that unusual?

Anyway, my main question is per the topic's subject. While I await my Night Blue nipper, I'm currently hiring a Fiesta which happens to have Ford's equivalent of City emergency braking, and I'm surprised at how large and obtrusive its sensor is ""“ it contributes to the rather claustrophobic feel the Fiesta's cabin has. One of the main things I loved about the up! I test drove, which didn't have City emergency braking, was its feeling of airiness and visibility. Do any of you up!pers with City emergency braking find the sensor a problem? Especially right-hand drivers ""“ having now hunted out pics, I see that the sensor is on the driver's side in right-hand drive up!s!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi, the sensor is pretty small and placed at the top of center of front windscreen. The rear view mirror is in front of it and You almost can't notice there's a sensor..

·
Registered
583 Posts
Up!_to_Mii said:
I really don't notice the sensor when I'm driving. Still haven't had the nerve to test it out either...!
Same here.
It's nearly completely hidden behind the mirror.

·
Registered
532 Posts
No worries, it's not in the least distracting. Unless you are 6ft 6 inches high.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am 6'8'' tall and the sensor doesn't distract me at all

·
Registered
532 Posts
There you go, full and complete review. I'm only a tiddler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
b82ry said:
Hi, the sensor is pretty small and placed at the top of center of front windscreen. The rear view mirror is in front of it and You almost can't notice there's a sensor..

OP will be driving RHD Up! which based on your diagram looks like a bit of an issue

·
Registered
467 Posts
The sensor is black and also there's a black dotted area on windscreen around it, think everything will be ok

·
Registered
397 Posts
Up!_to_Mii said:
Still haven't had the nerve to test it out either...!
Yesterday, spurred on by this comment, I managed to try out the City Braking function. Worth doing, so that you know what it sounds like if ever it gets activated!
I parked up, and in front of me was a wide bush/hedge. I reversed and then drove forward - very slowly in first gear. Probably not a completely real scenario - because I had clutch and brake pedals 'covered' - but at least I got the effect. Sounded like it activates the ABS, but VERY NOISY! If it had happened in real life |I think I would have thought I'd done some damage ... but know I know better!

·
Registered
727 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
I parked up, and in front of me was a wide bush/hedge.

I've been tempted to try it as well but think I'll use something that shouldn't cause any damage like a wall of lightweight empty cardboard boxes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My dealer used a large cardboard box to demo the stopper. I just couldn't stop hitting the brake, it's programmed into my super racing driver-like driving brain....

·
Registered
97 Posts
+2/3 e said:
Anyway, my main question is per the topic's subject. While I await my Night Blue nipper, I'm currently hiring a Fiesta which happens to have Ford's equivalent of City emergency braking, and I'm surprised at how large and obtrusive its sensor is ""“ it contributes to the rather claustrophobic feel the Fiesta's cabin has. One of the main things I loved about the up! I test drove, which didn't have City emergency braking, was its feeling of airiness and visibility. Do any of you up!pers with City emergency braking find the sensor a problem? Especially right-hand drivers ""“ having now hunted out pics, I see that the sensor is on the driver's side in right-hand drive up!s!
I nipped out and took these two pics whilst seated in my Skoda Citigo Elegance for you. I hope you will get some idea from them. With flash it obviously highlights the sensor but I honestly don't notice it when driving. I had the camera at eye height, right in front of my eyes when taking the pics. The one without flash is aimed at the rear view mirror and the one with flash is taken just looking straight ahead. Presumably the VW up! has exactly the same view of the sensor from the drivers seat?

·
Registered
88 Posts
It looks quite a distraction in those pictures but for some reason when driving I just don't "see" it. Odd.

The unit is also discreet from the outside. I was half hoping I'd be driving around with a Terminator style red eye glaring out from the windscreen but no such luck.

ducatikid said:
My dealer used a large cardboard box to demo the stopper. I just couldn't stop hitting the brake, it's programmed into my super racing driver-like driving brain....

I was crawling through traffic this afternoon and kept meaning to try it out, but my nerve always gave up before the city safe kicked in. It must wait until absolutely the last minute before hitting the brakes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robbyrook said:
I nipped out and took these two pics
Thank you! And to all for the helpful responses - one of the up!'s many plus points is this forum

b82ry - where did you unearth the diagram?

ducatikid said:
No worries, it's not in the least distracting. Unless you are 6ft 6 inches high.
6'0", so I should be OK

b82ry said:
The sensor is black
I noticed that on the Latvian VW site! All other pics I've unearthed, like Robbyrook's, have it white.

b82ry said:
there's a black dotted area on windscreen around it
The other variation I've found since I started looking is a solid white panelin place of the dotted area - it's always the same photo, so maybe that was a prototype up!. Edit: it does seem to be a mock-up:you can see that the radio display has been Photoshopped in.

I guess cost prevented VW putting the sensor on the left in RHD up!s, but it certainly looks more appealing, and takes up less space, than the Fiesta's massive black slab (which, now I think of it, must contain a rain sensor for the auto wipers and probably a light sensor for the auto lights, too).

My thinking was that it's daft to have forked out a fortune for a panoramic sunroof for my up! but to obstruct the panorama I'll actually be looking at most of the time, through the windscreen.

Hopefully not too long before I get to find out firsthand! I saw a smart spring green Citigo this evening, but thought I'd better not wave like a loon as the driver couldn't really know I'm the proud owner-to-be of my own little bundle of joy
(And probably couldn't see me behind the Fiesta's sensor
)

Edited by: +2/3 e

·
Registered
179 Posts
To be honest, I've never noticed the unit and it certainly doesn't distract. I have a RoadHawk camera mounted up there too, left of the mirror and it all sits there just fine.Tomorrow I shall sit my recycling bin in the middle of the drive and see what happens when I go for it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts