Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,just read on the forum about the emergency city stop extra for £225 is this a no brainer at this price? I would like peoples thoughts on this please

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have opted for this as my 17 yr old daughter will be using the car when she passes. I hadn't even heard of this before seeing the Up so had to have as an extra safety feature!

·
Registered
655 Posts
It's a great bit of kit, and was actually engineered by the company I work for

·
Registered
553 Posts
We didn't opt for it as it's highly un-likely to be driven by a 17 girl!

Well not while we have it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
We opted for it, partly because our daughter will learn to drive in this car, but also you never know when you might have an accident. it seemed very good value

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your replies,I have just ordered the system today
ill let you know if it ever springs into action.

·
Registered
143 Posts
MarkyMark have you been in car when they tested it? If so what does it feel like?

Fifth Gear have a video on their website of the seat being tested

·
Registered
655 Posts
I haven't but know its very good and effective at stopping you safely

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,the car we test drove did not have it so ill test it out on my other half when i have it
or failing that ill get vw in halifax to give me a demo to make sure it works. i bet it feels strange not to hit the brakes and let the car take over, even if its sponge blocks your hitting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think I'd just worry about it going on the fritz...

It's one more layer of technology that can go wrong, need repairing or act erratically.

Add that to the fact it kicks in when it thinks it needs to - I can definitely imagine situations where everything is fine but it interoperates a danger and stops you out of the blue, giving you a right shock and throwing your train of thought out of the window!

Also the fact that tailgaters are a daily occurrence, but are usually safe as everyone is reading the flow of traffic ahead, a sudden brake from a the system misinterpreting something could be costly!

...all these thoughts, although totally unfounded and paranoid, scared me off the feature :(

·
Registered
655 Posts
It works very effectively and will soon be a feature seen on many cars as standard. If you do frequent city driving its worth considering, I just chose to use the money towards nice paint instead!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apparently, the system disengages if you dip the clutch, or press the accelerator, and it won't engage at all if you brake as you would do normally. But if you're distracted and someone suddenly slows... it could be quite useful.

I suspect, like ABS and (soon) ESP, this sort of auto braking (AEBS) will be standard and required on all new cars one day. Anything that reduces accidents, no matter how good a driver you may think you are, has to be a good thing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the city emergency stop is for a 17 year old which also
does a lot of city driving then I think that the system would be a good thing
to improve safety. I noticed on the VW German website that they have a driver
pack plus which includes the city emergency stop, rear sensors, cruise control
and multifunctional computer for ‚¬590. I don't know why they made the UK
specification different from their specification?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts