87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

We'vejust ordered a High
Up which is due to be collected on Sept 1<sup>st</sup> [so we get the 64 reg!]
but we've decided that we couldn't wait the estimated 3 months+ to get it with
the classic alloys that I really want.

We'd planned to but the wheels
separately obviously expecting an uplift in cost compared to the upgrade cost""¦

""¦trouble is I've just had
my quote for the classic wheels separately and I nearly choked on my
cornflakes! Needless to say we can't
afford the VW prices for them ""“ with this in mind does anyone know of any
replicas that I can get hold of?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well after checking the dark corners of the internet my quest for replicas
has drawn a blank, but out of interest has anyone else here got a price from a
main dealer for the classic wheels in silver?
This is my quote from VW:

""16 inch classic alloy in silver
£261.61 each including vat, £1046.44 for the four wheels, excluding tyres &
fitting.

The hub caps for the above wheels
are listed with a white finish or a black finish and they are priced at £21.92
each including vat £87.68 for the four wheels""�

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are no reps. But oem ones pop up from time to time. Id personally get it lowered first to lose the arch gap before i bought new shoes. Or if that doesn't interest you. Do the light mods to change to the brighter white.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I'm not actually modifying the car, we have the -20mm factory suspension, we just one the wheels to complete the package - looks like I'm going to be shelling out £1500 to get what we want but I hope some of this can be offset by selling the multispokes it comes with.

Thanks
J

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sounds like it would have been better to wait the extra few weeks to get what you wanted.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've seen individual classics online on ebay for around £200 in the past (with tyre but not sure of quality), mostly white.

If you're dead set on it then you could wait until you've collected 4 of them, lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just done exactly that Fidel! and it only took a day lol.

I got 2 white ones off ebay £50 each, one silver one £78 and 1 black one off gumtree for £100 all with no tyres - refurb costs are coming in at around £300 for 4 inc. the diamond cut on the lip [had 3 quotes so far but have gone out to 5 firms].

So all in I'm getting 4 refurbed wheels for around £600 inc shipping cost which is about half price I cannot complain!

I'll keep everyone posted of their condition and the process - you never know I might be able to get them ready before I take delivery of the car on the 1st of Sept!

J

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
reimoboy said:
These just sold on ebay for £250, so they do come up from time to time

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301255661156

I sent this guy a message before the auction ended and asked if they were 100% for the up or if they were older VW rims [given that they came off a 1990 vehicle] but he didn't get back to me so I didn't want to run the risk...mind you this was before VW quoted me.

VW also quoted me for the black version of the classics which were considerably less [£168 per wheel]...surely the process is the same?

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts