Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Up used to come with 16" alloys, know as "Classic" I believe. I have a picture below of the ones I mean.

Does anyone know if these will fit a GTI without modification?

·
Registered
466 Posts
These were the ones fitted to both the lovely 2013 Up Black and White models.
I did not realise they were 16in, i thought they were 15s.
If they are 16s, then you should have no problems fitting them on the Gti, as there should be plenty of clearance to avoid snagging the larger wheel discs.
Their also a 4x100 stud fitment, so you should have no problems.

These are the very wheels i was thinking about for my Gti, but to get hold of a new set was very costly.
The ones i did manage to track down, were close on £160 each, and even though my OZ Rally Racers were more expensive, i would still have to buy four brand new 16in tyres, so the OZs proved the cheaper option.

·
Super Moderator
962 Posts
They should fit, however, I recently had a vandalised tyre that I had to replace on my GTI. I used to run a set of BBS RS211's on my Lupo GTI that I upgraded the front brakes to Golf G60 280mm discs, and they just about fit, so I 'assumed' that it would be fine to use one as a spare on my Up GTI whilst I got the tyre sorted. I was wrong! The inside of the wheel touched the caliper, so much so that even though I only moved it about 2 feet, I scraped a lot of paint off my caliper and scraped the inside of the alloy! I've no doubt they would fit fine with spacers, so all I'd say is be prepared to maybe need spacers, especially as the Up GTI uses 288mm front calipers from a Polo GTI.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. As they are 16" the diameter should be OK, I'm not so sure about the offset though. Anyone tried them?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Classic alloys are 6j x16 ET43
GTI alloys are 6.5j x 17 ET39
Thanks a lot, that's just the info I needed. That means there is 4mm less clearance, which is probably enough to cause an issue with the bigger calipers. A set of 5mm spacers would probably do the trick but I am not really a fan of using spacers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The VW approved Merano alloys which I am running as winter wheels are 5j x15, but are ET33, which presumably is why they fit nicely, when most other 15's don't.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Thanks a lot, that's just the info I needed. That means there is 4mm less clearance, which is probably enough to cause an issue with the bigger calipers. A set of 5mm spacers would probably do the trick but I am not really a fan of using spacers.
Incorrect, it means there is about 10mm less clearance. You have to take into account the extra width of the wheel as well which in this case is 1/2 an inch or 12.5mm, split that in half so about 6mm and add to the 4mm from the ET.

Also spoke shape has a lot to do with clearance as well and those classic look like they have a fairly flat face which is bad for caliper clearance.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Incorrect, it means there is about 10mm less clearance. You have to take into account the extra width of the wheel as well which in this case is 1/2 an inch or 12.5mm, split that in half so about 6mm and add to the 4mm from the ET.

Also spoke shape has a lot to do with clearance as well and those classic look like they have a fairly flat face which is bad for caliper clearance.
Good point, thanks, and one that I should have thought of. Makes these wheels even less suitable, which is a shame as I like the look of them.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Good point, thanks, and one that I should have thought of. Makes these wheels even less suitable, which is a shame as I like the look of them.
Nothing to stop you using them, just be prepared to use spacers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts