Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoomy's alloys got their first clean this weekend. OMG how hard is cleaning the alloys known as Spoke?!! I've had to buy a special hand mitt since I reckon this may be the best way? (Will confirm soon when the mitt arrives.) The side of the spokes are quite 'deep' and there are so many of them.
On the plus side, it made cleaning the alloys on my beemer seem much easier!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Haha they are annoying arnt they! I just use my bristle brush, microfire brush, wheel sponge and autoglym clean wheels lol, afterwards seal them so next time its an easier task! I also try and do the wheels 1st because its the job I dislike the most! But if you do that make sure you change the water before washing the car, I have a dedicated wheel bucket and tools lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dedicated wheel bucket. I like the sound of that! My wheel routine is, non-contact:

1 preliminary jet wash - gently! (unless recently treated with sealant in which case just hose and garden spray attachment)
2 spray on Bilbery cleaner to soak in while the car gets snow foamed
3 rinse off
4 dry with dedicated microfibre frequently rotated to a clean bit

1 as above
2 Poorboys wheel sealant

The Poorboys is this pink stuff which is I find to be a bit of a faff. I'm thinking of buying a newer spray based product. But can't quite bring myself round to creating another half used car care product to put onto the garage shelf. It is starting to look like Mrs Technogogo's abandoned hair care product line-up in the basket between loo and shower!

Today the postman bought the two (one for wash the other for product) fantastically named Captain Crevice wash mits by DoDo Juice. So I'll have a go with those. Recommendation of a lazy wheel sealant gratefully received! I was thinking of GTechniqs C5 alloy wheel armour but it's a tad pricey. I don't mind if it last a long time though. Its all about self-cleaning which can save hours.

Incidently, Zoomy got a complete coat of GTechniq C1.5 when we first got it* home. This weekend it* was covered in pollen and dirt after a month of hot dry sunny days. The paint felt quite grabby and I wondered if I should have pre-cleansed first even though Zoomy was brand new. (probably yes) However I was delighted when the most gentle of water from the garden hose completely cleaned it back to sparkling. Just shows that the self-cleaning state is very worthwhile overall.

*it: him/her - we've not decided!

·
Registered
222 Posts
They look like a pain in the arse to clean. Going to swap them for something easier to maintain asap. Or if its has to be something that isn't easy to maintain something that looks good. They are quite ugly wheels.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wilkinsons do a long yellow bristle brush which I use. It goes right inside the wheel to clean the whole width. I do this while running the hose. Then I use a sponge to finish off.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm pretty boring, I just use a sponge, water and car wash 'n' wax. They are a monumental faff though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sponges trap dirt which you then rub into the paintwork causing scratches and swirl marks. You don't have to go mad with lots of different detailing products. But if you buy a proper wash mit and use two buckets (one for rinsing the mit so that the soapy water doesn't get too much dirt in it) you'll avoid most of that damage. Well worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts