Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this cold and damp weather I am finding that the inside of the windscreen is covered in alot of moisture.

What setting on the a/c are people finding the best to clear it?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I leave my aircon on all the time to keep the car dry.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I leave my a/c on all time aswell, it doesn't use that much fuel consuption

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do as well but I don't think the 3 mile trip to the station during the week is enough to keep it under control. Do you guys have the slider on outside or inside air?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Erm I think it's to the outside, its on the left side of the slider! Erm other than that I think keep your windscreen nice and clean and in my golf and work I have one of those de mister pads and just wipe the screens. my up! Isn't to bad!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Ac on all the time... Fresh air and pointed at the windscreen...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Strange as hardly ever use air con. Car parked outside all time. Heater left set at about 75% fan on 1 - vent to fresh air - air distribution between feet and demist and get very little condensation. Have never had to use rear window demister. Do about 8 miles a day.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The AC can actually leave moisture left inside when it is switched off, was told best way to reduce moisture is to turn of and blast normal hot air through to blow out and moisture left behind and dry it out. I don't have A/C being a Take Up! but have not had any moisture issues and any dampness has quickly cleared after a few mins.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I hardly ever use air con. Car parked outside all time. Depending on how cold it is outside. Fan switched onto setting 1 - vent to fresh air - air distribution
between feet and demist and get very little condensation. Rear window demister used to dry or remove frost. Do about 8 miles in the mornings and about the same at night.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It only happens in the evenings at this time of year and has done it for most of the cars I have had. It never happens in the morning.

·
Registered
104 Posts
our Take up is quite good at drying the moisture off the inside of the window. Switch engine on full blast with the fan and moisture gone in 2 minutes certainly better than the c1 we had that took an age to clear. Perhaps the up is more air tight ??? Also the rear window is brilliantly quick to clear with the rear window demister on

·
Registered
36 Posts
Like others, I have been plagued with heavy condensation on the inside all windows recently. I got my up! In mid-September. I have never had aircon before so followed Forum advice to keep it on all the time. Having read other postings on this thread I tried an experiment today (gloomy, damp weather). At midday, I drove about eight miles to a lunch appointment, I had the aircon on all the time, the vent set to outside and the heater 75% on, fan at 1, setting to feet/windscreen. After a longish lunch I returned to the car - all the windows were heavily misted. I had to wipe them down with a cloth and run the blower on full to clear them before I could set off. Tonight (even damper) I drove about the same distance for an evening appointment. All the settings were the same except this time I had the aircon OFF. After a couple of hours, I returned to the car - no misting at all! The lesson of this for me is that I will keep the aircon off in these weather conditions but try to run it at least once a week on longish journeys for 10-15 minutes just to keep it in good condition. I hope my experience is useful to others.Edited by: Royal Windsor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up my Move Up this week and have noticed the driver's window mists up a lot in this weather making it hard to see out. I have to wind down the window to demist. Any suggestions or does anyone else have this problem too?

·
Registered
430 Posts
People have different advice on this so can only say what works for me. To clear mist I have air circulation set to fresh air and direct it at windows including side windows, never had an issue once cleared. I often switch air con on initially to speed process up but then switch off.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Just leave air con on all the time... Keeps car nice and dry!

·
Registered
386 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
Just leave air con on all the time... Keeps car nice and dry!
That's what I do but sometimes there is so much condense it just drips off the windscreen onto the dash... never seen that before in any other car I owned.

Normally the Up is parked outside but this week it was in my garage all week long and never saw condense water of the airco on the floor?? When I put my BMW in the garage there is always water dripping on the floor coming from the airco.
I'm beginning to think they forgot to put some sort of drainage of the airco on the Up, that would make sence, no?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree, see my earlier post. I think the problem is caused by leaving the aircon all the time in this weather. After a drive, the moisture from the aircon has nowhere to go except onto the coldest part of the parked car - the windows. In my view the answer is to use the aircon intermittently in this sort of weather. Having the aircon on all the time does not, in my experience 'keep car nice and dry'.
Edited by: Royal Windsor

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The strange thing is that this only happens when my car has been parked at the station car Park for the day. It never happens at home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's because the whole car cools down overnight and the air temperature drops, thus the moisture disperses. During the day the outside temperature is rising, there is a lot of moisture in the car (from the aircon) which gathers on the colder windows. Try leaving the aircon off when you drive to the station, put the heater on full blast to dry out the car. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have owned my High Up since September and never had any problems with my windscreen misting up until the colder weather arrived. When I get in my car, it is fine. However, as soon as the interior starts warming up (which is more or less when I start the engine), the front windscreen rapidly mists up. At first, I thought the fan heater was causing the problem. But I've turned it and the air con on and off and it seems to make no difference. I have owned several cars with air con and never had this problem. It ends up with me sitting in the car for several minutes waiting for the windscreen to clear, which can make me late for work. Grrrr. I wonder if this is specific to the Up or whether other VWs have this problem?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts