Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to tempt fate as I only collected my up! on Wednesday but something's bothering me.

Whenever I release the clutch (or at least most of the time), there is an audible 'click' as the pedal reaches the end of its travel. It almost sounds as though it's fouling something as it pivots.

The car drives perfectly okay butin my experienceit's usual to have a clutch operation that's virtually silent.

Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Lots of owners have complained of this. It would be interesting to determine if it's a particular model. My own is a 60HP move up with no extras and rubber mats and i have never had any noises from the clutch - it is always completely silent in operation.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Could well be the clutch pedal switch, i.e. the switch that tells the ECU that the clutch is either pushed in or fully released.

·
Registered
811 Posts
chris_42 said:
I don't want to tempt fate as I only collected my up! on Wednesday but something's bothering me.

Whenever I release the clutch (or at least most of the time), there is an audible 'click' as the pedal reaches the end of its travel. It almost sounds as though it's fouling something as it pivots.

The car drives perfectly okay butin my experienceit's usual to have a clutch operation that's virtually silent.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Is yours a BMT model? There seems to be an interlock between the clutch and ignition on those models. There must be a switch which could click.

Edited by: Allybasher

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mines an up black with no bmt. Mine clicks the most first thing but it's really intermittent and annoying! I'm going to contact my dealer next week. Also have one classic wheel that has already started to corrode too

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi there,

I don't know if my threads exist anymore as it's been quite a while since I had this myself. In short I returned my Up as they could not fix this issue late last year after 3 repairs. The mechanics identified it to be a design flaw in the actual clutch pedal with a cylinder behind it keeping a noise right when you are about to pull your leg off the pedal. There is like "empty space" at the end of the cylinders release which there shouldn't be. I even got a demonstration of it with a clutch pedal in the mechanics hand

I would go to the dealers and demand them to change the pedal. If they start talking about a master cylinder in the engine room then that's not right (changed this twice for me and no result). VW should be aware of these clicking issues by now as I wasn't the only one with this annoying problem.

My car was a 60 BHP BMT.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the 60 BHP BMT and have not heard a click on mine. It was built late December or early January so they may have fixed the problem by then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an Up BMT 75bhp and I also have noticed this clutch pedal "click" noise/sensation right at the top of its travel on release I think. Car still drives perfectly well.I have a feeling this is a similar issue that affected both my Honda Civic Type R (2002) and then my wifes Civic Type R (2009). In both cases it did not affect the driveability of the car. In both cases ended up having the clutch pedal replaced and in my wife's case the clutch Cylinder replaced initially-which did not make any difference. Both issues were sorted at a routine service 15,000 miles or into ownership, so was not a major issue. However I will keep an eye on mine as still not covered 1000 miles yet (2 weeks old only)

·
Registered
12 Posts
My up! had its first service today and I asked them to look at the clutch pedal as it has been clicking for about 2 months. They've told me the pedal needs replacing so once the part is in it's back to the garage. Not great considering i've only had it 11 months!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your replies. Mine seems to have settled down for the most part but still rears its head occasionally. The car is driving okay so I'll keep an eye on it and probably mention it when the first service is due.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I did the same, kept putting it off till it sent me crackers! it makes a massive diffrence in getting the pedal changed. I must of really got used to feel and noise. Apparently skoda are saying that the noise is perfectly normal for a citigo on Briskoda forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just taken delivery of a Take Up! (currently showing 168 miles ontheodometer) and the clutch pedal clicks on pretty much every actuation - it's very annoying!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I collected the car 2 days ago, and I can say that I hear and feel a little click from the pedal, and it comes from the pedal itself, indeed. The incredible thing is that the other car that I own, a '99 Mazda MX-5, has the very same problem but much noiser! I have to admit this is going to be a characteristic of the car that I own! Probably because I'm accustomed with the other car, the click from the up doesn't seem to be too annoying, and, as other previously said, it does not seem to affect the driveability at all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts