Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving my Up! White; there's just a couple of things bugging me slightly [Maybe related?] When changing gear there's a metallic click every time the clutch is operated, there's also a slight drag between gears 1 & 2.
I've had it back to dealer and tbh they weren't sure what to make of it; tech said he thought the metallic clicking was a characteristic of the car [Not sure I agree with that]. I'm taking it back today for them to look at it in more depth and hopefully sort it out.
Just wondered if any of you are experiencing the click from the clutch?
It happens as you start to let the pedal back up - you might not notice it if you always have music on.
Any feed back would be useful - thanks all.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've always considered it a characteristic of the car. Mine does it as well (in first gear) but only when I quickly remove my foot from the clutch pedal, releasing the clutch slightly slower stops the click noise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine clicks too. But it seem to be mostly between 1-2-3. For me it's disturbing because everytime I think it's broken and people outside thinks it too. It certainly is loud enough to hear even with music on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Supermegamonkee - I should have tried a search before posting.

Yes eightbits, it is a fairly loud tap or click, I can hear it with music on if it's not turned up too far. I don't think it's something I want to live with.
Dealer has told me they've looked at it and can't see a fault; they're saying the noise can be heard because of lack of sound insulation which VW have issued an advisory about [B/S]. I don't accept this and in any case the operation of the clutch should be virtually silent.
Going to fetch the car this morning and discuss with dealer in more detail.
Based on reading previous threads I'm going to ask for the pedal to be changed, as this seems to be the only fix.
Thanks for all repliesEdited by: DoubleDub

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's a broken part in the pedal that's making the noise, apparently the new part is revised design. My dealer changed it with no quibble.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
101 Posts
DoubleDub said:
Thanks Supermegamonkee - I should have tried a search before posting.

Yes eightbits, it is a fairly loud tap or click, I can hear it with music on if it's not turned up too far. I don't think it's something I want to live with.
Dealer has told me they've looked at it and can't see a fault; they're saying the noise can be heard because of lack of sound insulation which VW have issued an advisory about [B/S]. I don't accept this and in any case the operation of the clutch should be virtually silent.
Going to fetch the car this morning and discuss with dealer in more detail.
Based on reading previous threads I'm going to ask for the pedal to be changed, as this seems to be the only fix.
Thanks for all replies
This massively frustrates me (not the post though :)) I took my up in this week and I was given exactly the same line - characteristics of the car, light weight, no sound insulation blah blah!

Its times like these that forums really come into there own - if 1 dealership has changed it and the noise has gone then the standard has been set!

I'll be going back next week.

What part was changed exactly??

·
Registered
523 Posts
On my paperwork it say pedal box. When I collected the car the pedals looked brand new.
It was driving me potty when changing and after driving to Germany and back I had had enough. Once changed it felt and sounded 100% better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From when we collected our High Up we noticed that sometimes we could feel a click on the clutch pedal. It wasn't something we could hear but you could feel a sensation like the pedal or cable was catching or snagging on something. Very slight. But a little annoying. Only occasional. Now I think about it, I can't recall feeling this lately. So maybe it has gone away for us?
We've had the car for two months and driven just over 1000 miles. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I called my dealer about the clicking and they said that the only thing that they will "repair" is the airbag that VW recalled before and that was done on my car. No other part is revised, as what the database said.

So.. I will drive by and let them check it out.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Someone on here had two part numbers of both sets of pedals, might be worth a search. Might also be worth trying another dealer.

On another note, the sound from the clutch engaging with the engine will always be there. Just incase anyone mixes up this noise from the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I noticed this today, but like vwild1 it's quiet if you lift the last bit of the clutch slowly. Feels like more of a technique issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
eightbits said:
I called my dealer about the clicking and they said that the only thing that they will "repair" is the airbag that VW recalled before and that was done on my car. No other part is revised, as what the database said. 

So.. I will drive by and let them check it out.
My dealer has said that the clicking is not deemed to be a fault by VW as the clutch operates as it should. Even though there was a revision to the pedal box from June 2013 [I think he said June anyway] unfortunately they still can't change it for me under warranty.
I'm deciding whether to pursue this further or not. TBH, if I don't think about it I don't notice it, and sometimes it's not there at all.
I'll drive the car for a few hundred more miles then decide.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would try another dealer, sounds a bit like you are being fobbed off. No harm in trying, my dealer sorted that fault out with no quibble but on the other hand the alloy wheel corrosion I used another dealer as I was messed about. Got both jobs done, but at 2 dealers. Worth a ring round.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also noticed the clicking sound as described. I can also feel it on the clutch pedal. It seemed to have gone away now that it's done about 1000 miles (in 2 week, sob)... or at least I haven't heard or felt it since.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wonder if this is the same thing that I'm experiencing. When the clutch pedal hasn't been touched for a while it sounds (and feels underfoot) like something is catching when depressed. It happens occasionally while driving too. It always happens on the first press of the pedal first thing in the morning when I get in.

Car has done 850 miles and I'm wondering whether to just leave it until first service or book it in.

·
Registered
851 Posts
First clutch pedal click i hear it too but not after that. Not always on first press either. Had no click at all in my 2012 up which was a different model spec.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The VW Up! White that was in dealer demo that we test drove at end Aug 13 made a click / squeak noise on releasing the clutch (probably was a pre June build). Our Mii was in central stock at the port so may be newer build (not got an exact build date) has no click / squeak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts