Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening fellow British Uppers. Don't forget the clocks go forward one hour tonight and the Up! does not change automatically. My old BMW didn't change itself either. Happy motoring everyone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Citigo doesn't need changing tonight - it will be the correct time tomorrow. If it's correct half the year, that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cheers for the reminder. Time to get the Mii book of words out again.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Oooo wheres that watch pilock he could try and sell one of his fake replicas instead of changing your watches just buy new ones haha

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Summertime means one hour less of winting for my new up ...

My old Lupo is so slow that time goes faster in it ...
I think this is what Einstein said???
The clock goes wrong about one minute a month ...
If I had stood in my Lupo for the last 10 years and got out now, I would be two hours younger!

Well; dark again when I have to drive to work ...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've always thought that this is dumb. I still think it's dumb. The newspapers today write that this costs money, increases risk of heart attack, and so on. So why are we doing it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi beevee I put my iphone forward ,and still got up the same time ,plus it set itself,, technology
phill

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
ptae2000e said:
I've always thought that this is dumb. I still think it's dumb. The newspapers today write that this costs money, increases risk of heart attack, and so on. So why are we doing it?

Its for the farmers I think and thats as far as I know
hope its helpful

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Britain first put the clocks forward in 1916 following the example set by Germany. It was thought that in summer it got light too early in the morning and people were asleep and didn't get the benefit. I believe during the Second World War we had double summer time.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The "Daylight saving time" (or "Middle European Summer Time" / "Summer Time" as we say in Germany) is indeed a British invention (from 1907). So please don't moan about the "bloody continentals" ...

But the British did not want it until WWI.
Germany and Austria were the first ones who practised it - following the "daylight saving time" idea. It was established to produce more bombs without using electical light in the factories ...
As Beevee already stated, Britain followed the same year!

The only reason to establish it was war production - so, there was no "summer time" between WWI and WWII ...

Farmers don't (didn't) care about clocks. They start working when it's neccessary / usefull. Industry workers care about clocks ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts