·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
I’m Hi all…..
Just brought a 2016 Club up
So far so good drove it 125 miles home last night and was very impressed to be honest!

*EDIT: pics added

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My daughter had one before her Gti, it was a great car. Pics please, and congrats !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughter had one before her Gti, it was a great car. Pics please, and congrats !
I’ll be running it for a year before handing it to my daughter next year as a first car!
Pics will follow once I’ve washed clay bared, decontaminated and machine polished it so suitable standard! , I’ve just dropped it off at local vw dealer for new timing belt. Next job is to sort out a dodgy heated driver seat hoping it’s just a module or switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle
Cleaned, Clayed, polished, sealed!
wheels need a refurb. Paints not perfect, few bird muck stains so I’ll need to address at some point but over all a decent little car.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Same colour as my daughters (is it called blueberry ?) but hers was a 5-door. Looks great, ENJOY !

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Good, the triangles look much better in black & diamond cut.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good, the triangles look much better in black & diamond cut.
Totally agree, was concerned that black and blue would look wrong but after finding this, I’m defo going with black diamond cut.
(Not convinced by yellow mirrors tho!)
Thought I’d avoided the dreaded reverse issues but used the car early hours of this morning and it crunched going into reverse from start up. Seems lots of contradicting info about this issue
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
From start, you'd be pressing the clutch, else it won't start (at least on mine). That means the gearbox is stationary. Must surely be a clutch problem - not fully disengaging?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
From start, you'd be pressing the clutch, else it won't start (at least on mine). That means the gearbox is stationary. Must surely be a clutch problem - not fully disengaging?
Totally agree with the theory, but there’s so much contradictory info with regard to reverse/gearbox and clutch I’m doubting my theory?
It’s only occurred once and it was coldish morning, could it be that due to metal contacting/expanding that the clutch pressure plate behaves slightly different in cold and is not disengaging fully in colder situations!
Pretty sure I could rip out box and fit a new clutch in a half day but if the problem is gearbox or as a lot are saying a feature(bad choice of words) of the up

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Its not a feature of an Up. My issue with my first High Up 75bhp was a broken clutch cover finger, and is well documented on here from when I first joined. On a cold morning, I couldn't get first and reverse, I mean impossible....... When the clutch was replaced under warranty, with a bigger unit from a Polo, I had no problems for the next three years and 25000 miles.
Before replacing the clutch, play it by ear, first thing in the morning, engage reverse slowly, or try putting it in reverse and hold the clutch down before you start the car. If the issue gets worse, (ie can't engage first gear), then it needs replacing. The dealer (where I bought the car from at 6 months old & 4000 miles), told me that they'd replaced lots of Up clutches on cars that had the same problem.
The transmission on the series one cars was the achilles heel of the car, too lightweight, and IMO barely robust enough. My wife's Tsi 5 speeder and obviously the GTi ones are way better.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
And hydraulics can't yet be ruled out. And that too is a temperature sensitive thing, to a small extent...

To get a crunch, something must be causing 1st motion shaft to move, I would think...

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Golf 7.5 R Line TDI 150 DSG
37 Posts
Other half has a Club, starts without pressing any pedals.

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Golf 7.5 R Line TDI 150 DSG
37 Posts
Shouldn't do, all up!s since launch have had a 'Depress Clutch To Start Engine' facility, unless someone has coded it out.
Probably a faulty clutch switch. Under warranty and due to go in for an MOT soon so will have it investigated then.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wife's 2017 UP! starts without foot on clutch. Just noticed this morning when I was defrosting it, switched engine off when outside the car to get something, then popped keys back in and started the car leaning in from outside, no foot on clutch. I will check again later when she gets in from work.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ok, but is your wife's (Wellfan) a stop-start model?
Could it be a feature only on cars with stop-start that you must press the clutch before it starts?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Could it be a feature only on cars with stop-start that you must press the clutch before it starts?
I had thought that when I was making the post, silly me. My Seat Mii had the SS feature and I deffo used the clutch.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
My 2013 up! didn't have Stop-Start and always requested the clutch to be depressed before starting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts