Up Owners Club banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
So they vary...
Nevertheless, from fully stationary, if you start with foot on clutch and select reverse (or any gear), if the shift crunches, then chances are that it's a clutch-related problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wife's 2017 UP! starts without foot on clutch. Just noticed this morning when I was defrosting it, switched engine off when outside the car to get something, then popped keys back in and started the car leaning in from outside, no foot on clutch. I will check again later when she gets in from work.
Yes mine starts without clutch which is very unusual on a car nowadays!
I’ve got used to always putting clutch so hasn’t noticed

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
As an aside, any car should be marginally easier to start and be a lighter load on the battery if you start with the clutch pressed (lower rotational masses by not having to spin the clutch back-plate and first-motion shaft)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yes mine starts without clutch which is very unusual on a car nowadays!
I’ve got used to always putting clutch so hasn’t noticed
Yep, I have always done the same on every car and motorbike. Only noticed the other morning that it did it when I was leaning into the car from outside to restart it when defrosting it.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Well, not if its occasional and o
As an aside, any car should be marginally easier to start and be a lighter load on the battery if you start with the clutch pressed (lower rotational masses by not having to spin the clutch back-plate and first-motion shaft)
I've instinctively dropped the clutch on starting every car I've ever gotten into for years, regarding of the tech it has.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Same here . Depress the clutch to start any car and also depress when switching off .

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Much better ! Well done !

21 - 30 of 30 Posts