Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Skoda and use the Skoda specific forum and in the Citigo section (and elsewhere) there are many references to the same clutch click that I see mentioned here on the Up forum and elsewhere..

Several
members over there have contacted Skoda UK and some have had new clutch
related components fitted and some have been told it's a
"characteristic". Some get it all the time and others, occasionally. Many don't get it at all.

I have been considering getting a Citigo or an Up! but am wary of getting one that starts clicking.....I hate noises that shouldn't be there :)

Another member has, today, had it confirmed, verbally, by a Customer Service Manager who is, I understand,
an assistant to the Managing Director, that they won't carry out any
rectification attempts and that it is a "characteristic" and nothing
will be done about it.

I have also contacted them as I am
considering a new car as mentioned above and will speak to them on
Monday (I was out when he called me today).

It would seem they have issued dealers with the following directive...........

These noises are due to the design of the power unit and are in accordance with the state-of-the-art of the production

No damage can be caused to any vehicle components due to these noises.

If you deal with this complaint, do not carry out any repairs.

Replacement
of parts is without effect. Please inform the customer about the cause
of the noises he is complaining about and also that the complaint is not
justified.

I
am not posting with the intention of flaming or trolling but simply
advising Up! forum members of the decision that Skoda have taken and
clarified for us today on the telephone.

I don't think there is anything more I can add and don't post this with the intention of trying to tell you things you didn't already know and hope it is received in the spirit with which it is intended.

If, at some point, I can be persuaded to buy an Up! (or a Citigo) with certainty that it definitely won't click then maybe I can benefit more from your combined knowledge and add my own experiences...but for now I'll just wait to see if anything else occurs in the future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Depends what sort of 'click' it is. If it's a faint one when releasing the clutch pedal then it's apparently the self-adjust mechanism and is normal - VW told me the same thing.

If it's a snapping noise when you press the clutch pedal (as if it's catching on something) then that is not normal and they should fix it under warranty. This is what happened to me and the pedal unit was replaced. It's still a little bit creaky sounding now and again but I can live with that.

The lower spec Move Up that I had as a courtesy car had a totally silent clutch pedal which felt as solid as the other two pedals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for quick reply.

I did see some comments confirming your description of two types of click. I don't have first hand experience but, as explained, am reluctant to take a chance given that it does seem to be a issue for quite a few users. However, Skoda hve categorically said they won't address it under warranty. I haven't approached Skoda in the same way I have Skoda....perhaps I should. If VW take a diffeent view then that, in itself, would sway me towards an Up! rather than a Citigo.

After 46 years of driving I can't remember a clicking clutch since I owned a 1959 Anglia 100E :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooops, should have said VW instead of Skoda...sorry. ( I haven't approached Skoda in the same way I have Skoda....)

Is there an edit button?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
As always on forums like these you will find that generally people only post issues they have. It is difficult to assess how many have an issue with a clicking clutch. If it is one in ten perhaps you should be worried if it's one in ten thousand perhaps not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed, you're of course right.

Trouble is I know of no way of determining which figure it is. A dealer's salesman sitting in his showroom, will tell me there's no problem and if it did start to click they'd fix it....but Skoda are adamant that they won't.

EDIT. Just found the edit button.

Off to bed, it's late.

Thanks for replies....appreciated.

Edited by: oldstan

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Perhaps you should consider buying a used car which you can first test drive properly to be sure there is no issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to admit that that's a remarkably simple but sensible observation....why didn't I think of that? :)
I guess I could go for a low mileage demonstrator or pre reg.

I suppose I was confining my thoughts to buying new.

I would, however, feel much more confident if I knew the manufacturer would offer some assurance of assistance in the event of it developing. Maybe VW would say something more positive than Skoda....I'll ask them.

Bed time....maybe carry on tomorrow. And if the suggestions are this positive I'll look forward to it.

Thanks. Night.

Edited by: oldstan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Move Up which has run perfectly with no clutch problems for about 400 miles but has suddenly developed what I would describe as a clutch "clunk" which VW say is normal but an independent garage said was a definite fault after they put it up on the ramp and did tests. So ... let battle commence!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts