Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you turn the engine on, and depress the clutch, there is a clicking noise coming from under the bonnet.

When changing gear, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, gear change not smooth, often a clunking'ish kind of sound.

Beadles advise that all up!s make these noises, despite first of all saying they couldn't hear anything.

I cannot believe these noises are meant to be? Have you been experiencing these issues? And have they been resolved?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It's normal gearbox noise, but as the up has little sound proofing between the cabin and engine, you can hear it.
It's worse in the cold too.

I'm not worried about mine.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It is indeed normal and is partly die to lack of sounddeadeningand also a light but quick action clutch the only way round it is to be very smooth lifting the clutch off but as soon as you change gears quickly there is a pronounced 'clunk'.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive been recieving this problems when putting the vehicle in reverse only and its starting to be a concern! i will talk to workshop on tuesdays!

·
Registered
202 Posts
ask the workshop anyway but that should just be because the reverse gear isn't synched.. You just need tolu put first gear in then reverse (without releasing the clutch obviously) and should work..
Ps when you go to the workshop don't mention what I just said, I find suggesting an answer just gets them to say 'thats it!' instead of actually looking into it.. Just my opinion of course..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been told this at breeze vw. And hq are aware and PUT UP WITH IT. U shouldnt have to double de clutch a new car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Miaup said:
I have been told this at breeze vw. And hq are aware and PUT UP WITH IT. U shouldnt have to double de clutch a new car.
its not a fault its just the way the reverse gear is cuz it doesn't have syncmesh or whatever its called.. Lots of car manufacturers don't sync there rear gears on some gear boxes especially fiat,lancia,Alfa Romeo but a lot others aswell.. In this case my dealer told me they haven't synched the rear gear on the up gearbox... I spose it makes it cheaper or lighter or both...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I get a clutch click every time I release the pedal, will be contacting the dealers next week. It's almost a spring of plastic noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The reverse gear is very anoying im concerned the clunk is chewing my gearbox anyone else hear a clunk when putting it into reverse? when i go into work i will test it out on a new up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Vwpartsmen said:
The reverse gear is very anoying im concerned the clunk is chewing my gearbox anyone else hear a clunk when putting it into reverse? when i go into work i will test it out on a new up.
Ive heard of others complaining of this but not experienced it myself

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for the really late reply... your dealer can adjust the gear changing difficulty by using a tool ... t10027a i think... its very simple

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a noise from my Upwhen depressing the clutch at idle and when generally using the gearbox, butmine is smooth to use. I didnt notice it on the test drive, butI took it back to my local VW dealer who provided an engineer to do a test drive. He confirmed I wasn't imagining it, but that itwas normalsaying itisVW trying to save some weight in sound proofing etc. I had a drive ofanother Up and it was the same.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have had lots of cars where the gearbox clunks and rattles when changing gear I don't think it is a major problem.
The UP! has not got a lot of soundproofing so it will be more apparent.
My Polo was the same but not quite as noisy.
Crunching in reverse can be a pain I always let the engine revs drop for a moment before trying.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had a new Polo loan car recently and could distinctly hear the same noise only quieter as the Polo has more soundproofing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All
New on the forum and Seat Mii owners (no jokes, please)!

Just to note than my Mii, was exhibiting all the "properties" mentioned zillions of times on the foum - Rattle on low revs, Clunking when changing gears, some crunching and issues when engagingreverse. I thought it was not normal for a nearly new car that has done 2.5k miles. It all started being really noticable after an episode when my gearbox would refuse to work (could not select any gears - gone away after repeated clutch on/off).

Just to say that most of the times the gearchange was sweet as a nut and I really love the car, so was a bit in two minds about taking it to the dealer.

Attempt 1: Dealer said the usual - not to worry, no iussus, waved a tecchie bulletinin front of me saying its normal...

Attempt 2: Decided to ring Seat and log a camplaint.

Now have been told the gearbox is being changed, as they found metal shavings in the box....

Are you all still sure this is "normal" and not a fault?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts