Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HiI bought the Move Up in April and after less than 1500 miles found that I noticed gear problems in the morning. Reverse gear sometimes was a problem (crunching) but the main thing I noticed was a real struggle to get it into first gear after I had reversed out the drive. This was only a problem after the car had been standing overnight and the rest of the time it was fine.

I took this to the garage 3 weeks ago today & they agreed that there was a problem. They ordered a new clutch & a bearing? but still waiting for the part to arrive from Germany, I think I could have walked over with it quicker!

I have a courtesy car so no problem there but it is a bit disheartening and it hastaken the shine off having a new car. I do love the Up & the petrol consumption is brilliant but based on my experience so far, and some of the other comments, I hope I don't regret my purchase. My last car was the Fox & I have to say I loved that and the 3 Polo's I had before that so hope this is a one off

On a positive note I was delighted to see a way round having the Maps & More fitted as a neighbour gave me his (he already has one) but I thought it was going to be redundant. I will be printing off the instructions and seeing if anyone can do this for me

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am still having these same problems. Been to breeze 3 times and they say put up with it. At least they are going to replace parts of yours. Hope it sorts the problem out

·
Registered
604 Posts
Miauphave you tried going to a different vw garage, Might have better luck elsewhere

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I am hoping the delays are just due to the model being relatively new and the parts not being readily available. I have used the same garage for years without problems and at least they are not saying there is nothing wrong. I will see what happens over the next week or so

·
Registered
78 Posts
The next nearest is also a breeze over 30 miles away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had a new clutch, flywheel and gearbox in my 2013 high up....experiencing the same problems as yourself but sadly the second gearbox is exactly the same...so frustrating...seems more like a design fault than an isolated problem..I'm rejecting my car this week...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no what a shame, I hope I don't end up doing the same thing. If I am not 100% happy though I will

·
Registered
44 Posts
Then people moan about the ASG Automatics!! I think they are more reliable than the manuals or are they? I would never have a manual again.I love automatics.
At least the VW dealers are not using the Old British Leyland excuse.They all do that sir!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have just spoken to the vw manager at the garage and he is trying to work out a deal for me on a new polo as he concurred the up wasn't suitable for the job I had bought it for...I wonder how many other instructors have the up and if they experienced the same problems?

·
Registered
44 Posts
They Polo gear box is nice and smooth,and nice PAS which will be good for instruction work.
For my own tastei do like the look of the Polo better than the UP,and it looks good in bright Flash Red.
I know the UP is more modern,but the problem with the Polo is the costof an automatic,which is only available higher up the range. The ideal for me would be the Polo GTI,but not for £19000> I can get a discounted Mini Cooper or Mazda MX5 for less than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just noticed this website and forum.

I have had exactly the same problem with first gear not going in first thing in the morning, especially when cold. Like there is something blocking it!

The first time I took it to the garage they said there was no problem, took it back today and was told they felt like it was slightly catching, but not as much as I normally have to put up with, so they have apparently adjusted the gearbox slightly. Will test in the morning and hope this has solved the problem.

Its nice to know it is not just me, as that is how I was made to feel by the VW garage!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi
Sorry to hear you are having the same problems but do not be fobbed off. I have to say that the garage came through for me and the car needed a
New clutch. Very worrying after less than 2000 miles but it seems fine now. Good luck and if you are not totally satisfied then insist that they rectify it or insist on a refund

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way I ensured they had the car overnight so they could see how bad it was from cold, it was never much of a problem once it had warmed up. Also make sure they give you a courtesy car until it is rectified

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi sorry to read about your experience with gear change .I personally would be asking the reason why it has happened ..and why are there so many with the same fault. People are saying when the vehicle is cold .well Obversely how can adjustment solve a problem . When as wen warm it doesn't happen , I was purchasing one until I started reading complaints about the gear box etc ,I am glad I did, i would be asking for a full refund why should you have to be taking the car back all the time ,they make out it's your driving ,and lend you a car ,what's going to happen when it happens in say five thousand miles ,they won't give you a refund then will they.they will keep fobbing you off until you decide to most probably change for a different car at your expense don't let them get away with it. Kind regards phill.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Bossphillip. Sorry to hear you have been put off buying an Up! There are many more people that have had no problems then those who have. Cars come with a warranty because faults do occur. I can only report that I am extremely pleased with my Up! and glad I made the purchase. It is not until you pass the driving test that you learn how to drive and sadly some never do. So often I see people who have never mastered a smooth gear change and do wonder if some faults are driver error.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi replying to you're post .I do understand where you are coming from .having been driving for forty plus years .having had most VW cars .fords etc .one word .of experience ,I have and still do .own .five LTI black cabs .and one of the early models. Witch was a TX1 .most not all I must add. had a gear box problem .when cold was a night mere to select first gear ,when warm was all ok there was nothing London taxi could do to correct this problem. this is a taxi costing twenty five thousand pound plus, in ninety seven ,when they were first made ,the first of a batch ,Obversely they did solve the problem for most. but sadly it still exists to this day ,and all I was saying that if the problem carries on .in the vehicle in question .the dealer always blames the driver in most cases .and also it wasn't just the car . That was the problem .i had it was the VW dealer in warrington kept me waiting for thirty five minutes to pay for two cars , witch I was purchasing .i found that not except able so I canceled the cars . and they always say it must of been an Oman ..thanks for your reply ,and I will find a dealer ,that might appreciate my custom in these hard times kind regards phill

·
Registered
95 Posts
That was a hard read

My Up! has been absolutely perfect and flawless, I cannot fault it on bit. The problem with reading forums is people mainly write about the bad stuff so no matter what you look up you will see more negative comments than good. If you are put off buying a VW then you really must be fussy about what you are buying

My last car was a Fiat and before that a Renault, 2 of the shoddiest cars available. I can feel the difference in the build quality just sitting in my Up! and it drives like it is in a different league which is superb considering it's so much smaller and lighter than my previous cars. I test drove a lot of superminis before buying the Up! and very few came close to the pleasure I get of driving it. 2 friends are looking at buying the same now because they love my car so much, one who is retiring and one in her early 20's.
Do not be put off by the dealer or by handful of owners with problems, the majority of which have had it resolved under the warranty

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi duff star just got your post I totally agree what you are saying I . Have a Audi A1 tdi sport .and I would recommend .the upp . felt and was a larger car inside .the reason for the change was I wanted a four doore car for me and my wife as we have a granddaughter most days an we found the Audi to small ie pram baby seat and all the extras you need lol plus the economy fuel .as my Audi returns sixtie plus mpg .so the upp was. Near to our .requirements .and I will still find the deal I would want from a dealer ,thanks for your post and look forward to reading many Moore from your self and other members kind regards phill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts