Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my brand new take up on Sunday. Great little car, only problem I have is when I am accelerating I push the clutch down to hear a low pitch almost rumbling screech!! Only for a second or so.
I haven't had time to take it back VW yet.
Has anyone else had this problem.
I'm thinking it might be the thrust bearing??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get a strange whistling sound. Also new with 100miles now on the clock.

Mine sounds like a hydraulic actuator needs some grease.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine's very quiet, so I doubt any significant noise is normal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.
The noise was eventually diagnosed as the thrust bearing which is exactly what I thought it would be.
My first port of call was Willenhall Coachcraft VW, this was the nearest franchise to my workplace making it convenient logistically. They were not very obliging at all, this ment a trip back to Listers Stratford who immediately identified the problem and fixed it very expeditiously. They gave me with a very nice golf as a courtesy car.
I am looking forward to pick my up! up today.
I will leave a full update later after speaking with VW customer care re Coachcraft.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Great to hear its sorted. If you are getting nowhere with one dealer try another, that worked for me.

Enjoy the up :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't mind hearing about problems that get fixed. It's VW dealers that give people the bums rush I hate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to pick up my up! The technition said that he had changed the thrust bearing however the noise was still present! He took me out in another car with 3k miles on the clock which had the same noise but not as loud. I spotted a brand new up! and asked to take that out... Guess what? No noise! He seemed stumped and said that he would have to ask VW If he could change the entire clutch!!!! I left the listers with my still noisy up! and am waiting for a phone call from VW regarding the next step. I'm starting to loose my patience. I think a replacement car may be in order. Has anyone else had this issue or anything similar?
I will ad a bit more tomorrow regarding VW Willenhall coachcraft tomorrow.
There service is appalling. After owning many used VW over the last 20 years I am so disappointed in the service provided so far.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's pathetic, can't believe that a technician would actually take you out in another car after replacing a part, to then try and convince you that its normal!

Hopefully someone else who works there will be able to diagnose it better, or get some advice from VW HQ, keep the pressure on them i'm sure it will get sorted, if it needs an entire clutch assy then that's what they'll have to do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Andy T9 said:
That's pathetic, can't believe that a technician would actually take you out in another car after replacing a part, to then try and convince you that its normal!

Hopefully someone else who works there will be able to diagnose it better, or get some advice from VW HQ, keep the pressure on them i'm sure it will get sorted, if it needs an entire clutch assy then that's what they'll have to do.
To be honest - I think VW are hiding behind the 'it's-a-cheap-car' for anything clutch related. I'm especially interested in your progress as mine was bought from Listers Stratford and at about 800 miles I took mine in for the exact same issue. I had taken their up! Black out VE13 AON and the clutch was perfect. They told me nothing was wrong with my clutch though and to basically accept its getting used to my driving style !Edited by: wetflyingmonkey

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A week later and still no news from VW.
My patience is starting to wear thin.
I'm starting to regret taking my car back,, I should have left it with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
please keep me us updated on this as my brand new Mii has the same. am an ex mechanic and am certain its the thrust bearing too. doesn't do it every time only when accelerating hard. only done 600 miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Folks

We have a brand new up 4 door Blue motion 75ps option on engine. Ran the car in carefully for around 400 miles keeping engine above 2000rpm but not using much above 4000rpm. Gradually giving it a bit more rpm found that we too got "the noise". I tried to log the effect carefully and this is what I noticed Below around 4200rpm dont get it. At 5000rpm it is very loud (relative to the car noise which for a small car overall noise is actually very quiet). What I also noticed is that if I take it to around 5000rpm ( in second gear for quick getaway at roundabout say) foot off accelerator no noise but rpm seems to hold for a long time. As soon as I press the clutch then I get "the noise". It could be the release bearing but a duff release bearing would make noise from word go would it not? Also if I hold 5000rpm in second gear and partly press the clutch so I feel resistance under my foot --no noise. The noise is associated with up changes at rpm much above 4200rpm. Have not yet tried down changes. Regarding rpm the display on the Garmin unit if the rpm display option is selected the red line starts at around 5200rpm but on the actual tacho in the instrument pod it starts at 6200--which one is correct. Dont think its driving style as Mrs found the problem as well thought it started at around 4000rpm

Otherwise very pleased with car. Will be in touch with my VW dealer for explanation

interested 2 C how this thread develops

bob

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If I rev my car when the clutch is pushed down, it makes a loud clattery graunch, but if you rev it with the clutch up, the sound is much quieter. I have often wondered why this would be.
Engines are strange and mysterious beasts... 8o)

·
Registered
6 Posts
LO All

Took my car in and was able to demonstrate the noise I described in my earlier post. VW guy said that was "normal" I said I disagreed. I gave him a written statement of what I had demonstrated to him. In view of the fact that we are pleased with the car in all other respects I decided to leave it at that, reminding him that we had the 3 year warranty and prepaid full service for 3 years. I made it clear I would be back if the noise gets any worse.

I notice ( I think) the car engine seems to be "engine control by wire" that is the accelerator seems to send a signal to the ECU rather than directly operate a butterfly in the air inlet. So there must be a motor to do this so I was wondering if there is a motor that adjusts the air input that make the noise on gear changes. There must also be a motor for the variable valve timing so plenty of bits to potentially make an odd noise

Anyone know where a detailed description of how the engine works can be obtained? It always helps to understand what makes the car work

cheers

Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok here an update.
After 2 weeks of calling and emailing listers I had heard nothing. I was totally disgusted, eventually I received a call from the service dept manager.
I Told him my issue, he said he would start a job number (or something similar) and get back to me after speaking to his technition. The next day he called me back saying that they had taken 5 Ups out on test drives to find that 4 of the cars made the same noise. I was told that it is the charectoristic of the car!
I explained that prior to purchasing the Up I test drove both the 70 & 75 bhp models, neither of which made the noise. I reminded him that on picking mine up after the replacement bearing had been fitted I drove another one that didn't do it. It appears that VW have a problem with some Ups and not others.
Now the technition admitted there was a problem when he drove it, after not being able to fix it I have been told that the problem has no solution and that I would have to live with it!
What happens when I want to sell the car with a screeching clutch? Would you buy a second hand car with this problem?
I suggested that the solution to the problem would be to find me a car that is perfect and make a swap. I was told I could do a deal with the ales dept! What a joke!
I like the car a lot it does exactly what I need it to however clutch noise the service has left a very sour taste in my mouth. I am going to speak to trading standards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Has anyone else had a problem with their clutch screeching at over 4k revs?I have spoken to trading standards who have told be to write to the finance company, this happens to be VW.
If I get no help or response from them I can then get the financial ombudsman to assist me.
All I want is the problem fixing.

I have also got a Mk5 Golf GTI which I was planning on replacing next year, I am now looking at Alfa Romeo Giuliettas.
Come on VW, lets get this sorted out!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Surfsmarty, I have the same noise with my 75bhp up when changing from 2nd to 3rd above 4000 revs the roaring/screeching noise, only in second though???? Haven't booked the car in yet......

·
Registered
73 Posts
Surfsmarty, I have the same noise with my 75bhp up when changing from 2nd to 3rd above 4000 revs the roaring/screeching noise, only in second though???? Haven't booked the car in yet......

1 - 20 of 53 Posts