Up Owners Club banner

Clutch noise, can anyone help?

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  djcowlin 
#1 ·
So I got my car 5 days ago from a small dealership 1 min drive away from where i live. The car has 1 owner and 60,000 miles. In the last 3 days the car has made this noise, but when you press the clutch in the rattling sound goes away? Do I need to be ringing the garage and asking them if they can sort it as its 5 days old? Or can I not do that? Or is this a VW up quirk and actually it's normal and no issue. Sometimes it doesn't do it but 70% time it does?

Here a link to the video I posted on youtube...

#2 ·
Its idler gear rattle. Unfortunately a quirk of the earlier Up's. The gearbox was built to a cost, and there are many threads on here with cars with the same issue. Our two first 75bhp High Ups did it from new. The later Tsi Ups had a different, beefier 5 speed gearbox from the Polo and don't have that issue.
I complained bitterly to VW back in 2014 when we bought ouitr first one, but it never got any worse. You should notice it less when the gearbox warms up.
See this thread :-

Reactions: plancast
#3 ·
Thank you for reply. Well I guess it's good to know it's nothing serious. The annoying thing is I took it to the car dealership (who by the way were fantastic, and told me to bring it down and they will get it straight for repair) but soda law kicked it and wouldn't make the sound at all. He even took it for a drive, started and stopped the car 6 times. And just told me if it got any worse or happened all the time to take it back and they will fix it, but theres nothing they can do while there is nothing there. Abit embarrassing really haha

#6 ·
I get a bit of that when starting on cold mornings, but it does settle down quickly. Never enough to make me think 'take it into the garage', but certainly more than I've heard on other cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.