Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having taken delivery of my High Up a few days ago, the clutch pedal seems to have developed an annoying clicking noise upon its release.

Just wondered if other Up owners had experienced a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry cant help with this no such problems with ASG. There have been plenty of posts about this already. Try searching for clutch clicking.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Clutch clicking was widely reported on here a while back. My understanding is that vw changed the pedal box on recent cars.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep. I posted the same problem last week it seems that there is a mod on the clutch pedal box whatever that is, I am going to let the garage where purchased have a look. probably next week.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My 2012 did it too. It seemed to come and go though. Sure it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 2012 up does it sometimes, turn the radio up and it disappears. Seriously my gearbox is smooth and works perfectly so I'm not to worried, will get it checked at first service though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I came across something I found rather interesting, in the Gear pull-out of today's Sunday Times'.

A reader had written in, following suspected clutch failure, after just 22,000 miles. The local dealership had informed the reader that a new clutch plate was needed, costing in the region of £700, an item which was not covered under warranty.

The dealership also informed the reader that it was the 'first such problem they had encountered on an Up!'

In response, The Times' began by providing the reasons behind why clutches were excluded from manufacturers' warranties but agreed that clutch failure after 22k was incredibly premature, suggesting that the dealership should have provided an explanation as to what had gone wrong and why.

They expanded upon the fact the some Up! owners had reported a 'clicking noise' upon release of the clutch pedal (a feature with which some forum users, myself included, have grown familiar), continuing to explain the extremes that various dealerships had gone to, in attempting to rectify the problem; these ranged from replacing the pedal assembly to taking no action at all, maintaining that the 'clicking noise' was simply a characteristic of the vehicle.

Concluding their reply, they (The Times') mentioned that a worn clutch-plate was unlikely to make the 'odd noises' the reader had reported upon gear change, leading to the suggestion that a worn bearing was a more probable cause.

In addition, The Times' also provided the following advice:

"Your dealer should be able to show you the damaged part and explain why it needs replacing, because you don't want to be buying a new clutch if the problem lies elsewhere".

Upon reading the misfortune encountered by a fellow Up! owner, I began to consider the following:

Since VW do not include the clutch as a warrantable item, in the event of such failure, would the clutch still need to be replaced by an approved VW dealership workshop, in order to ensure validity of the manufacturers' warranty, or could the clutch replaced by an independent VW workshop, whose labour rates are likely to be cheaper?

Secondly, how many complaints/warranty claims would need to be made, before a VAG considered issuing a re-call, in order to rectify a common fault?

Thirdly, would VAG re-imburse the cost of a repair, later found to be subject of a re-call?

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Just to check the clicking noise, you will find a 'click' occurs on the release of the clutch the very first time setting off on a journey from starting the engine.

This is a microswitch engaging, which is then held open by an electromagnet until the ignition is switched off.

Again, it should only occur during the first release of the clutch when pulling away after starting the engine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
mine does the same. my v.w garage does not want to know. wonder what the next move is. because i,m not a happy bunny.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same noise too, the gear works well, and if i acceleratethe car full throttle, the car does not do anything different, and the clutch works properly, but I find the noise annoying and more when it is a new car!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Miserable Git said:
Since VW do not include the clutch as a warrantable item, in the event of such failure, would the clutch still need to be replaced by an approved VW dealership workshop, in order to ensure validity of the manufacturers' warranty, or could the clutch replaced by an independent VW workshop, whose labour rates are likely to be cheaper?
You don't need to go to a VW dealer for any maintenance, as long as it is done properly and according to VW's requirements / schedules.

·
Registered
20 Posts
are you referring to the squeal and vibration when you put the clutch pedal down after accelerating in any gear over 4k rpm? if so my Seat Mii is currently having a new thrust bearing fitted under warranty for the same thing. see my thread herehttp://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/clutch-release-squeel_topic4678.htmlseat uk made them take measurements from the gearbox and clutch before authorising the thrust bearing replacement. Wont be fixed until next week but have courtesy car!

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes I have the same from 5000k. Infuriating loud click /snatching noise very time I change gear. Currently my local dealer acknowledges the noise but is telling me it is 'normal' and says they aren't going to do anything about it. Seems like a lot of other people have the problem too and that VW are in denial. Unfortunately I have been driving cars for years so I know that this noise is not 'normal' and will lead to eventual component failure. Unfortunately clutches don't come under warranty so I am going to keep hassling them so there can be no doubt that it is a manufacturing fault and not crazed driving when it does eventually blow.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi all reading the post about the dealers ,repairing gearbox problems ,they most probably don't have experience of repairing the gearbox, that's why they will put a new one in ,depending on the dealers in question ,most send them to experienced gearbox centres, for repair that would cost them very dearly, hope this helps Regards ,phill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Whilst the noise is annoying it only happens over 4,000 rpm so doesn't normally appear. It does however accurr on every car as demonstrated by the garage on many different cars including the Skoda version. If u drive at about 10mph then dip the clutch and rev the engine u will hear this horrible noise. U can't do it at standstill as the engine software won't let you unless it detects movement. I've reported it and had the thrust bearing changed but it's still there but at least it's fully documented in case if future problems. I don intend keeping outside its warranty.
JimEdited by: jmr166

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi jim I can understand the annoying noise ,I have had many cars with problems like you describe ,but most second hand ,so didn't bother me that much ,also as you say it is documented so no worries their ,also for a reasonably priced new car ,three years down the line as you said change it ,as I will ,besides you can't loose thousands of pounds ,like expensive other cars do,good luck with the car happy motoring
phill

·
Registered
9 Posts
ManghenMan said:
Yes I have the same from 5000k. Infuriating loud click /snatching noise very time I change gear. Currently my local dealer acknowledges the noise but is telling me it is 'normal' and says they aren't going to do anything about it. Seems like a lot of other people have the problem too and that VW are in denial. Unfortunately I have been driving cars for years so I know that this noise is not 'normal' and will lead to eventual component failure. Unfortunately clutches don't come under warranty so I am going to keep hassling them so there can be no doubt that it is a manufacturing fault and not crazed driving when it does eventually blow.
I had the same noise however I took it back to my dealer and they replaced my pedal box and clutch master cylinder

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for that. I'll put this in front of my dealer and see what he says. I hope it is as simple as that.
I am actually going to film the problems and get it on-line as the only way I can get to be taken seriously about the truly dreadful gearbox on my UP

1 - 20 of 23 Posts