Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have the seat Mii version 63 plate 2k miles only

If I use more than normal acceleration and change up gear I get a half a second squeal when releasing the clutch which i can feel through the clutch pedal. it happens 1-2 & 2-3 if i rev up to about 4,000 rpm such as entering a dual carriageway way and quickly getting up to speed. All other use is normal.

I suspect the thrust bearing but anyone have any ideas or anything similar? am going to book into the seat garage next week but wanted to research it first so I don't get fobbed of.

Jim

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, you aren't the only one to suffer from this - regardless of what they might tell you @ the dealership.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got fobbed off. I'm paraphrasing but I basically got told that I shouldn't expect typical VW quality and refinery with the Up, I was most surprised!

·
Registered
73 Posts
VW report........check noise from clutch, confirmed, carried out road test, found gearshift cable catching heat shield , repositioned heat shield as required, test OK

sorted, I think......!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the update. I might climb under in the weekend as mine could easy be that too then.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Had a similar noiseproblem this summer... went to my dealer and wefound out thatan attachment of the heatshield was torn off andthe shield was a bit displaced. They attached it properly and the noise was gone... no problem anymore

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the seat garage and at first they tried to tell me that it was a characteristic of the car. I of course refused to accept this and took out another mech who told me and the service manager that he had never heard the noise before and sounded like something was loose. Booked back in for further checks!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have this when accelerating hard. It's not bothering me enough to make a special trip to the dealer yet, but I will certainly get it checked out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We did discover it's an engine noise not a clutch noise as when driving along with the clutch in and revving the engine we get it when u release the accelerator. It's prob when the engine comes back through its resonance frequency and something metal is loose. I'll let u know what we find next week

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
further update. my Mii is still in bits on the seat garage floor. They are speaking with seat uk tech support and had to supply measurements from the gear box end float and thrust bearing. the end float was in spec so they have now authorised the replacement of the thrust bearing. Luckily they have given us another new Mii to use. During the road testing and diagnoses process with them we road tested several other Mii's that did not have the same noise and vibration on the high rev gear changes but they courtesy car has exactly the same problem and that has only done 600 miles.

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will hopefully get mine back today but will insist on a road test before accepting it. I must add that the noise is intermittent in the courtesy car and at higher revs where in mine it is constant at 4k revs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thrust bearing changed. They have admitted that most have this problem but some worse than others. The change has improved mine but not totally gone

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've booked mine in to have the same thing investigated. Got to go for a drive with a mechanic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had too take out 3 different mechanics on 3 separate occasions. Every car on the lot including the courtesy car had the same noise but most only under very hard revving but mine was there every time over 4k revs. Now after the change mine only has it occasionally under higher revs. Edited by: jmr166

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't think so but I've seen a service bulletin telling garages to convince customers that it's normal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts