Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 2000 miles, the clutch on our High Up! began to squeak, and then first and reverse gears became difficult to engage, a problem particularly noticeable on hot afternoons. Finally, fluid began to drip onto the clutch pedal. The dealers diagnosed a faulty clutch slave cylinder and one was ordered from Germany on a Friday and was at the dealers on Monday morning. In the meantime, VW Assist arranged for a courtesy car so I had the pleasure of a Golf TDi for 4 days.

The dealers were superb, the VW systems and service impressive, but having read of the gearbox problems of other owners, I have to admit that I am now on edge and that my former pleasure is now marred by a nagging worry of further problems of this nature.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don't worry at all. Sometimes seals get damaged when being assembled, or the seal had a fault. There's no good reason why the replacement won't be fine for the life of the car. The master cylinder won't even have been built in the factory where the car was built.

Mike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
fluid on the clutch pedal.... slave cylinder faulty....

I think im going to take photos of the engine / transmission when i get my up. I have a bad feeling about all this.

·
Registered
532 Posts
they have been making hydraulic cylinders for at a guess 90 years. occasionally parts fail. Skoda has a good reputation for car building. There is no way VW would build such an important car at a plant where quality was poor. i would guess that the plant is the most efficient in the skoda part of the group.

·
Registered
303 Posts
its irrelivent how long they have been making them. if they are building them today down to a price, cutting corners of quality of seals or assembling them in bad conditions (think grit), then they are more likely to fail.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If they have been making a device for a long period it is likely that any faults have been sorted.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You can say that about all new cars Tom, why worry that's what a 3 year warranty is for

Also why the pictures of the engine!?

·
Registered
315 Posts
tom said:
fluid on the clutch pedal.... slave cylinder faulty....

I think im going to take photos of the engine / transmission when i get my up. I have a bad feeling about all this.

If you have such a bad feeling then why not cancel your order and buy something else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts