Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like coffee

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another random question, I personally think costa coffee is rank so just wondered which one everyone else likes..

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I personally prefer Café Nero, but Costa is my most regular out of ease.
That said, I much prefer my own brews, using a a range of freh beans from Has Bean :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Costa's latte beats the others by miles (especially my work ones :/ )

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I find Cafe Nero way too bitter won't even have a free one on o2. Muffin Break is my favourite.

·
Registered
202 Posts
sorry, but english coffee is not coffee it's just dirty water :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
scarja said:
How very dare you! I would respond but do not wish to offend.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Arghhh thats a hard 1! It depends what mood im in, starbucks to wake me up but costa for a nice relaxing sip lol been nero a few times but not a fan! Edited by: Itzben

·
Registered
202 Posts
Beevee said:
scarja said:
How very dare you! I would respond but do not wish to offend.
Haha, I don't easily get offended
If you ever come to italy I'll offer you a coffee and then we can talk about it (and about UP!s while we're at it
)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I won't go in Starbucks because they are thieving tax avoiding scum. Anyway, I don't go into these coffee places normally, they are expensive. I like Arab coffee with cardamon, it is ground more finely, and you make it in a small pot, then pour it all into the cup. It is lovely with some Arab pastries. There is one called mahmoul which is lovely, biscuit pastry around pistachio nuts.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_K4YTUN9Kbvc/TTYqfBCIo4I/AAAAAAAAAvI/h7PBL12w2ow/s320/mahmoul2.jpg

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You can't really blame Starbucks, what they did was perfectly legal, if the laws weren't so outdated it would never have happened. No company in their right mind would have offered to pay the tax that was essentially optional. That's aside, here in the UK we are very new to this gourmet coffee thing, most 'baristas' really aren't, an most beans used in coffee shops are stale.
Hence why I prefer to make brew it myself, the Italians do have us hands down on this one.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Davec86 said:
You can't really blame Starbucks, what they did was perfectly legal, if the laws weren't so outdated it would never have happened. No company in their right mind would have offered to pay the tax that was essentially optional. That's aside, here in the UK we are very new to this gourmet coffee thing, most 'baristas' really aren't, an most beans used in coffee shops are stale.
Hence why I prefer to make brew it myself, the Italians do have us hands down on this one.
It's odd then that the only companies that do this wheeze are big American corporates such as Starbucks and Amazon. Yes it is currently legal, but is it moral? I don't buy this idea that a company can do anything that is legal, there is something called ethical trading. Maybe many don't care, I do. and I think many other people do care too. Paying tax is part of contributing to the UK society. If big companies with highly paid lawyers evade tax using unethical means, they are able to sell at lower prices, undercutting honest UK business, driving them out of business. Ethical? No.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It depends. Hot and wet is good enough in some circumstances. Something I avoid if at all possible is instant coffee. At work I have a Nespresso machine in my office and, when out-and-about, I look for independents that serve Illy coffee.

Nick

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I do free with you, it isn't moral at all no, but the point I'm making is that it isn't technically illegal, so as a business, with the intention of making as much profit as possible - they are going to do their best not to fork out money they don't have too.
I do however understand how important the payment of tax from large corporations is for the economy - I also think these laws could do with amendments to shut the loopholes.

Anyhow, Starbucks don't even make great coffee - their generic roast is way too dark and generally away to bitter. This is more criminal than their tax affairs ;)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yea, the aptly named americano because they can't handle a straight espresso. It's also a pretty good way of masking under par espresso.
The Italians definitely take the win.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts