Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do forum members advise should be checked on the day before parting with the money?
As a check list, Ihave so far...

Take Up + Comfort Pack + Spare Tyre

1. Check Year of Manufacture & Reg
2. Mileage that shouldn't be on the clock
3. Paintwork for damage
4. Sufficient petrol to get home
5. Spare tyre, jack and tools
6. Remote and spare key function
7. Noisy gearbox
8. Radio
9. Road Tax (Zero)

·
Registered
811 Posts
That sounds pretty comprehensive. I was going to suggest checking the air supply isn't in 'recycle' to stop it steaming up but I don't think the Take Up has that function - at least my very early one doesn't.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Tyre pressures?

Nick

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would check that all the panel gaps are even, look for any colour mis-match on any painted parts to the body colour.
Also if you have them, confirm that your Maps & More works, that it can get a satellite signal and displays al the information, like radio station information, trip computer info etc.
Check that the keys open the fuel cap.
Sunroof operation, abnormal noises during operation, aswell as smooth operation.
Check that anything electrical actually works correctly.
Most importantly check that the car is what you ordered! I know it sounds silly, but in the heat of the moment when you look around your car for the first time, it's easy to miss something, ie the dash colour could be body colour, when you ordered black. There's been the odd case that some one has ordered a 3 door and when they went to collect it found out that it was actually a 5 door, and vice versa.

I know it sounds a lot of things to look at but remember that if there is something wrong and you don't like it, it's easier to get it sorted or even refuse the car until it is correct.

I took about 30 minutes inspecting my car before I signed the paper work. Remember, it's the 2nd most expensive purchase you'll ever make, so it MUST be right.

I hope this helps and isn't too long winded! LOL

Matt

·
Registered
393 Posts
Glad to help!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check out the tyres. I had a Suzuki that arrived with a split in the tyre. Dealer replaced it willingly and said it sometimes happens when they are driving on the low loaders.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If your dealer carries out the PDI properly you should have nothing to worry about. When I picked mine up everything had been checked, the radio tuned in and the Maps and More set up including home address and phone connected. We had a familiarisation drive during which time we stopped for petrol and the locking petrol cap was explained and demonstrated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like Matt I spent 30 minutes yesterday going over the vehicle before parting with any money. The salesman's face went Tornado Red when I found the front nearside tyre completely deflated by a nail I didn't order.

So Dadogyou wereright to warn about tyres.

Guess what? It was fixed in several minutes because they had a complete spare wheel(fitted with tyre) in stock. A rather popular accessory by the sound of it.

On the Up! side, I did a road test after it was rebooted, and the frequently mentioned faults were not there (noisy gearbox and difficulty in selecting reverse). This one was manufactured in March 2013.

If you are considering buying a Take Up! with the comfort pack (like higher end models I understand) the VW brochure is wrong about you getting two remote keys. You only get one with a non-remote spare.No doubt this is to save weight to meet the CO2 specs (like no standard spare tyre).

It was ironic that having spec'd a spare tyre because of tyre vandalism in our area (nails propped up in front and behind tyres when the car is parked somewhere) that we should fall victim to the same outcome (unrepairable by VW tyre goo) at the VW dealership.

I'm not going to name the dealership because they might have been a victim as well.

Consider this ...

Have you had a nail or screw of more than 50mm length in your tyre recently?
Was it in the central groove of the tread?
As a mechanical engineer, I cannot conceive of a mechanism whereby such an object
can penetrate tyres so regularly, and accurately,without human intervention ...

< style=": ; : 1000;" id="plugin0" width="1" ="application/x-dgnria" height="1">< name="tabId" value="B540ACCE-1B64-4C87-8C5D-699D7928DBE8">
Edited by: UpInTheAir

·
Registered
179 Posts
You are spot on with all that, UpinTheAir. The whole point in checking out the condition of a new car before taking it out of the showroom is, that generally, any damage, dents, scratches or punctures you find afterwards, will be put down to you and not the dealer.Also agree that a two inch nail will not normally find its own way into a tyre unless it is set up to do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts