Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just inspected my new up! prior to delivery 1 March. How am I to break the news to my wife? Amidst all its wonderful features I noticed the driver's sun visor does not have a vanity mirror. And she uses it (a lot). Passenger side -yes. Driver's side - NO! How very British Leyland, circa 1960s. Come on VW ... tut tut!

·
Registered
105 Posts
No cars I've bought in the past 14 years or so have had vanity mirrors on the drivers side.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NoHero said:
No cars I've bought in the past 14 years or so have had vanity mirrors on the drivers side.
What HAVE you been driving, John? !!! In the past 10 years, all five cars of mine has had one on the driver's side - our current 13 year old Vaux Agila (2000) (can you get more basic than that?) Skoda Octavias (three) had illuminated ones; Qashqai (2009) has a driver's vanity mirror. My daughter's 2009 FIAT (ugh!alloy wheel nuts are rusting, unbelievable - but I admit it's very nice to drive) has one.

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How sexist !! However I prefer to look where I am going rather than look at myself.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I miss it. I had one in my 2005 Lupo so it makes no sense.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Trouble is, when there is one on the driver's side, the female drivers tend to do their makeup/hair whilst driving (& checking their i-phone at the same time) - sorry Ladies!

PS: I speak from years of experience watching my wife & daughter.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Truth-seeker said:
Trouble is, when there is one on the driver's side, the female drivers tend to do their makeup/hair whilst driving (& checking their i-phone at the same time) - sorry Ladies!

I have seen this to, I don't think any cars should have them on driver's side

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Truth-seeker said:
Never seen them check everything just before getting out? THAT'S when they use it! (Why they also use it before driving off ... I'm not sure!)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Maybe one of our mainland europe members could get us a part number for their passenger visor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My naff '97 micra didn't have one either. And while my solution then involved a small mirror and some heavy duty sticky tape...not sure I'd want to do that to my Up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought I'd be the only person to notice this... And yes maybe a kind European counter part will start an eBay business to bring left hand drive passenger visors over here.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nosugarinmytea said:
And while my solution then involved a small mirror and some heavy duty sticky tape...not sure I'd want to do that to my Up!
After making enquiries of Mrs. PeterWestSussex ... yes, she would like a driver's vanity mirror, please. Problem solved! Halfords have a small self-adhesive one (for safety reasons, presumably it's not glass)
But I now notice that on her W-reg Vaux. Agila BOTH the vanity mirrors have a sliding cover (no cover on the up!'s one-side-only vanity mirror).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Strange omission on VWs part as even the wife's Aygo has 2 vanity mirrors, both with sliding covers, although in 2 years, I must confess that I can never recall them being used.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nosugarinmytea said:
....... I've alreadyabsent-mindedlytried to use the non-existent mirror twice.
Exactly! And it gets worse! I took up the suggestion in an earlier post here and 've just been to the VW Parts desk.

"Can you get me a passenger sun visor for a LH drive up!, please?", and I explained why. No need, I was told. The RH drive model has a sun visor listed both with AND without a vanity mirror.

It's £52 ..... In jest I asked re a p/x allowance for the unused visor. Out of interest, if I needed a replacement visor, how much is the visor WITHOUT the mirror? "Same price, £52".

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hope you always wear your seat belt as I would not hit my head on the sharp corners of that mirror. Standard fitted mirrors are always inset into the sun visor for safety.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Of course I wear my seat belt.<div style="orphans: 2; widows: 2;">But I still expect to die if I crash at higher speeds in this car, so I don't worry about the mirror :p
<div style="orphans: 2; widows: 2;">It did good in Euro NCAP and all, but let's face it. VW up! vs. Mercedes S500 or a SUV in a collision = you are pulverized.
<div style="orphans: 2; widows: 2;">

Edited by: stratcast

1 - 20 of 20 Posts