Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.

I've read a lot on the forum re comfort tyre pressure for the Gti and the 'comfort setting'.

There is no such setting displayed on our new Gti (collected yesterday 13/11/20) door sticker.

So where have members found the setting for comfort?

Tbh the standard setting feels fine even on Cumbria's rural roads - just asking out of interest.

·
Registered
825 Posts
They are on my sticker inside the door jamb, but found them still too high at 35/32, after some initial experimentation when I got the car, mine are best at 30 / 28psi front/rear.
I run the 15" winter wheels & tyres at the same pressures.
On the standard 17", I find that the tyre works a bit harder and gives more grip at the lower pressures. Never have been a Goodyear fan, but at the lower pressures they're adequate.

Reactions: The_ASH

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think its the third line down on the door sticker. I have 34 front 32psi rear in mine which i find to be perfect for me.
Everyone is different in what they prefer, so its best for you to experiment and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are on my sticker inside the door jamb, but found them still too high at 35/32, after some initial experimentation when I got the car, mine are best at 30 / 28psi front/rear.
I run the 15" winter wheels & tyres at the same pressures.
On the standard 17", I find that the tyre works a bit harder and gives more grip at the lower pressures. Never have been a Goodyear fan, but at the lower pressures they're adequate.
I think its the third line down on the door sticker. I have 34 front 32psi rear in mine which i find to be perfect for me.
Everyone is different in what they prefer, so its best for you to experiment and decide for yourself.
Here is the shot of my sticker:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Similar (but not exactly the same decal to my 2019 model. . Shows the same 35 & 32 as the "comfort" (two passenger) pressures.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Similar (but not exactly the same decal to my 2019 model. . Shows the same 35 & 32 as the "comfort" (two passenger) pressures.
Thanks for that.

According to our Manual if there is a comfort setting on the door sticker it will show 2 people, a bag and a small 'i' to the right of the bag.

Is this what you have?

·
Registered
825 Posts
That's exactly right.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly right.
Thanks for your reply.

I wonder why it has been omitted on 2020 cars?

I'll just use the 35/32 setting then.

Car came from dealer at 39/35! When checked cold.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tsi has both the sticker and the handbook notice. Lower case 'i' for information is what you're looking for
I run 32/29 as the Eco pressures are far too high for UK roads, strictly Motorway only if your REALLY keen 😁

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tsi has both the sticker and the handbook notice. Lower case 'i' for information is what you're looking for
I run 32/29 as the Eco pressures are far too high for UK roads, strictly Motorway only if your REALLY keen 😁
View attachment 5901
The second line is what is missing on our Gti - I wonder if VW are not recommending that setting on the larger rimmed and lower profile wheels/tyres of this specific model.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi XYZ
Low profile ? You could be right, they need to protect the rims I suppose. Can't think of anything else.
Small but real risk that you could be liable for any resulting RTA is you reduce pressures below recommended minimum 😶

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was brought up to believe that under-inflating tyres was a Bad Idea, and certainly not great for fuel economy. I can just about see the argument for improving ride quality, but I'm not convinced of any other benefits of lowering tyre pressures, especially when the manufacturer doesn't recommend it for a specific model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts