Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

As my little car is small, I realised that I can actually polish it in the garage (once I clear the clutter out)
The garage has a concrete floor that seems to soak up the drips from my wet car.
If I were to paint the floor, would it make the garage more damp due to the water not being soaked up?

Thanks,
AlexEdited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
304 Posts
Technically you should not put your car away in a garage wet... Many do though as in uk winter your car is never dry

Could work both ways... The fact that when painted, your floor would become more water resistant, it could mean that the water will not soak in as it did before, where the concrete remained damp. So could mean it dries out quicker.

But if you plan to polish inside you should paint your floor to keep the gritty dust down.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I had not considered the dust from the concrete. I fitted a couple of air bricks in the garage wall a while back to help ventilate when the car it wet. My dad also runs his freezer in there, so I guess that acts like a little heater.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Rednaxela said:
Hello everyone,

As my little car is small, I realised that I can actually polish it in the garage (once I clear the clutter out)
The garage has a concrete floor that seems to soak up the drips from my wet car.
If I were to paint the floor, would it make the garage more damp due to the water not being soaked up?

Thanks,
Alex
Ah a good question.For what it is worth here is my experience.In our last house I had the standard concrete floor in my garage,which was ok apart from the dust so I painted it with one of the garage floor paints, and was very pleased with the result,ie no dust and clean and glossy. However the down side was water on the floor stayed there exept in the summer when evaporation got rid of it.For the rest of the year I had to use a mop all of the time.Also be aware that a painted floor and water makes for a very slippery surface!
In our current house the previous owners used the garage as a gym...so the concrete floor has been carpeted with a course ,dense " industrial " carpet. Works for me...nice and warm...can be hoovered and no dust.
Down side is if you spill oil, paint etc
Concrete paint is quite expensive so maybe have a think about dense pile carpet.In fact I think carpet tiles would work.

Just my experience.

Go well.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your advice. I don't fancy a mop on a rainy day.. Perhaps I could just paint a walk way perimeter around the car with the concrete left in the middle to soak up the water. That would cut out a bit of dust.
Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just another thought...you could add some "sharp " sand to the floor paint to make it less slippery.
Go well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts