Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find the Up GTI real bad for condensation inside ?

My car is always garaged it's only when I finish my shift at night I've noticed the Condensation inside (Front Windscreen) is real bad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check everywhere that there isnt any moisture in the vehicles carpets - thats a tell tale sign. However my Octavia too is garaged but this happened when I came back late from work one cold evening when I picked up the car from the Park & Ride.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Lots of glass and that's what happens unfortunately. Try putting cat litter in a tray in the car or silica bags.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All the Up!s seem to suffer from this - although based on cars living near me, all brands seem to be suffering at the moment. Only solution seems to be keeping some form of dessicant in the car (as ThatUp!GTI said, cat litter or silica work well, but you must refresh them regularly or they'll stop being effective), wiping (chami pad, microfibre towel) the windows when you can see the moisture and spending several minutes when warming up the car with the AC on to dehumidfy the air in the car. Things have improved substantially since putting an anti-fog treatment on the inside glass surfaces, but it's not a magic cure-all - I still have a silica bag (Pingi) on the parcel shelf that gets heated at least once a week to dry it out.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
All the Up!s seem to suffer from this - although based on cars living near me, all brands seem to be suffering at the moment. Only solution seems to be keeping some form of dessicant in the car (as ThatUp!GTI said, cat litter or silica work well, but you must refresh them regularly or they'll stop being effective), wiping (chami pad, microfibre towel) the windows when you can see the moisture and spending several minutes when warming up the car with the AC on to dehumidfy the air in the car. Things have improved substantially since putting an anti-fog treatment on the inside glass surfaces, but it's not a magic cure-all - I still have a silica bag (Pingi) on the parcel shelf that gets heated at least once a week to dry it out.
Spot on, something like Rain-X on the inside does work as it makes the moisture build up harder to happen in the first instance but it's not a 100% fix.

You'd be surprised at how many people still think AC is only for summer, i probably use mine more in winter for these reasons.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I always, leave the passenger side window slightly open, to allow air to circulate properly.
Not advisable if your car is always parked outside, but mine is garaged and has a Porsche 911 Carrera covering it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean!
Think he`s taking the p*ss.

I have a had this issue in our previous Seat Mii & the Up. Tried the Rain X & was awful, window was fogged/smeared to buggery, tried numerous ways of applying it & gave up. Use the Pingi on the dash & try to keep windscreen clean. There is no definitive way to work out when ours will mist up, its just random, but a joyous quirk of the car🚗🔨

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Think he`s taking the p*ss.

I have a had this issue in our previous Seat Mii & the Up. Tried the Rain X & was awful, window was fogged/smeared to buggery, tried numerous ways of applying it & gave up. Use the Pingi on the dash & try to keep windscreen clean. There is no definitive way to work out when ours will mist up, its just random, but a joyous quirk of the car🚗🔨
The rain-x is a bugger to get on properly, don't get long to wipe on and buff. Does work well if done right though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The rain-x is a bugger to get on properly, don't get long to wipe on and buff. Does work well if done right though.
It says to leave it on till dry , then buff off. Do you just wipe it on, then straight off? Always end up with a foggy smeared mess, especially when the sun gets on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am wary of using any Rain X products. Last time I used it on the outside of the front windscreen there was no noticeable benefit. After 2 weeks wipers just smeared arcs of water drops across the screen blocking visibility. I had to use an old bath towel soaked in white wine vinegar to get off and then clean the wiper blades. Never again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Always had issues with the Rain X for the outside of the screen, same as the inside, always ended up with foggy smears. Product never seemed to last that long either.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used Turtlewax Clearvue repellant on the outside - does all the right things with the rain drops, and is working well on the side mirrors, but is now a terrible smear under the wipers. Scrubbing hard every time I wash the car to try to shift it and wiping the wiper blades in between, but can't wait for it to be gone and won't bother again. On the inside, I used RainX anti-fog. By the time I'd put it on all the way around the inside, it was time to buff it off again. Did have to re-buff part of the front and rear windscreens the next morning, so probably needed to change towels more often, but is otherwise working a treat.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean!
He covers his city car in a Porsche 911 car cover , keeps it in a warm dry garage, never takes it out in the rain or heaven forbid the in the WINTER , gets 80 mpg with his JSB super tune, drives like Miss daisy and contradicts and BS’s for Wales . Lol !

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used Turtlewax Clearvue repellant on the outside - does all the right things with the rain drops, and is working well on the side mirrors, but is now a terrible smear under the wipers. Scrubbing hard every time I wash the car to try to shift it and wiping the wiper blades in between, but can't wait for it to be gone and won't bother again. On the inside, I used RainX anti-fog. By the time I'd put in on all the way around the inside, it was time to buff it off again. Did have to re-buff part of the front and rear windscreens the next morning, so probably need to change towels more often, but is otherwise working a treat.

Give the screen a wipe over & blades with some Isopropanol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Will give it a go - thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
He covers his city car in a Porsche 911 car cover , keeps it in a warm dry garage, never takes it out in the rain or heaven forbid the in the WINTER , gets 80 mpg with his JSB super tune, drives like Miss daisy and contradicts and BS’s for Wales . Lol !
Ah, that explains it all!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anyone find the Up GTI real bad for condensation inside ?

My car is always garaged it's only when I finish my shift at night I've noticed the Condensation inside (Front Windscreen) is real bad
Just one suggestion ... Could it be possible that someone has inadvertently left the air circulation selector in the recirculating position ?

If so, even after several hours, the humidity and temperature delta between the inside and the outside surfaces of the windscreen will almost certainly be greater than if the air circulation lever was in the other position where it allows the cold air from outside to enter the vehicle, therefore reducing the humidity (caused by the body temperature and breathing of the driver before the vehicle was left stationary) and also the temperature delta and therefore the likelihood of condensation forming.

Just as an additional note, having the air conditioning on even on cooler days keeps the humidity inside the vehicle at relatively low levels when the vehicle is occupied and may also help.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It says to leave it on till dry , then buff off. Do you just wipe it on, then straight off? Always end up with a foggy smeared mess, especially when the sun gets on it.
I am wary of using any Rain X products. Last time I used it on the outside of the front windscreen there was no noticeable benefit. After 2 weeks wipers just smeared arcs of water drops across the screen blocking visibility. I had to use an old bath towel soaked in white wine vinegar to get off and then clean the wiper blades. Never again.
Always had issues with the Rain X for the outside of the screen, same as the inside, always ended up with foggy smears. Product never seemed to last that long either.
You'll see it start to dry, doesn't take long, buff from then.

If you put Rain-x on your windscreen the idea is not to use the wipers or you will end up with smears. it goes against all logic but does work brilliantly.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just one suggestion ... Could it be possible that someone has inadvertently left the air circulation selector in the recirculating position ?
My Mii was set to air re-circulation when I collected it. Did not notice it for a few days until the condensation was driving me nuts. Not sure why the dealer set it, possibly knocked against when having a pre-delivery clean. It is a setting I have never used in all my years of driving.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts