Up Owners Club banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My Mii was set to air re-circulation when I collected it. Did not notice it for a few days until the condensation was driving me nuts. Not sure why the dealer set it, possibly knocked against when having a pre-delivery clean. It is a setting I have never used in all my years of driving.
Same here. Can't see the point of the same stale air going around and around getting conditioned over and over. There must be some point to it and i'd love for someone to explain it but i'm with you in that the normal setting works perfectly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Same here. Can't see the point of the same stale air going around and around getting conditioned over and over. There must be some point to it and i'd love for someone to explain it but i'm with you in that the normal setting works perfectly.
In my opinion there are two purposes for the recirculate switch and both involve reducing the amount of outside air coming into the cabin. Firstly, to reduce noxious smells entering the car such as smoke, exhaust fumes or of muck spreading. Secondly, to improve the efficiency of the air con in hot weather by recirculating cold air and reducing the amount of hot air entering the car. Just my opinion though, I could be talking hot air!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
In my opinion there are two purposes for the recirculate switch and both involve reducing the amount of outside air coming into the cabin. Firstly, to reduce noxious smells entering the car such as smoke, exhaust fumes or of muck spreading. Secondly, to improve the efficiency of the air con in hot weather by recirculating cold air and reducing the amount of hot air entering the car. Just my opinion though, I could be talking hot air!
Sounds more than reasonable to me, good way of looking at it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Secondly, to improve the efficiency of the air con in hot weather by recirculating cold air and reducing the amount of hot air entering the car. Just my opinion though, I could be talking hot air!
Sounds reasonable to me. Had never really given any great thought to it, but your thoughts seem to make sense. Roll on the summer to test your thesis. Haha.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It all depends on the difference between inside and outside humidity. If it's raining outside/damp in your garage, and you've run the AC and otherwise dried out the interior, then the recommendation is to leave it in recirculate mode as it shuts the vents to the outside and stops wet air from entering the vehicle (and condensing on the cooling glass). If there's not much difference between them, or it's drier outside the car than in, then having it set to external air (vents open) is the right option.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It all depends on the difference between inside and outside humidity. If it's raining outside/damp in your garage, and you've run the AC and otherwise dried out the interior, then the recommendation is to leave it in recirculate mode as it shuts the vents to the outside and stops wet air from entering the vehicle (and condensing on the cooling glass). If there's not much difference between them, or it's drier outside the car than in, then having it set to external air (vents open) is the right option.
Hmmm, not sure on this one as one of the functions of AC is to dry the air coming into the car so in theory the difference should be negligible.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmmm, not sure on this one as one of the functions of AC is to dry the air coming into the car so in theory the difference should be negligible.
I think the idea is that these are the options once parked up and the AC is off, not while it's running - otherwise quite right, not going to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've never seen this condensation problem.
I drive mine daily, either 8 miles to work and back or 40 miles to (other) work and back.
AC is always on, and re-circulate is only on when I'm stuck behind a smelly diesel bus/truck/tuned-Audi at the lights.

Are your journeys all short and never enough time to clear the moisture from the car? Do you always have wet dogs/coats etc in the car?
If you clear the underlying moisture from the inside of the car, it never condensates on the (relatively) cold glass.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've only seen it since it started getting cold. Sometimes it's because I got in wet from the rain (not a great surprise) but sometimes it was simply thanks to breathing (usually considered a good idea!) - and, frustratingly, sometimes it would clear with the AC on before I moved off and then a couple minutes down the road it would fog up again, so I'd have to pull over and wait for things to settle once more. It has happened after both long and short journeys, on dry and wet days, daily use and more intermittent. Now seems to be under control with the combination of anti-fog treatment and the Pingi - it was really misty this morning, for instance, and no issues at all. I only rarely have to use the AC, and then generally only for 5-10 min. to get things settled while the interior warms up.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've only seen it since it started getting cold. Sometimes it's because I got in wet from the rain (not a great surprise) but sometimes it was simply thanks to breathing (usually considered a good idea!) - and, frustratingly, sometimes it would clear with the AC on before I moved off and then a couple minutes down the road it would fog up again, so I'd have to pull over and wait for things to settle once more. It has happened after both long and short journeys, on dry and wet days, daily use and more intermittent. Now seems to be under control with the combination of anti-fog treatment and the Pingi - it was really misty this morning, for instance, and no issues at all. I only rarely have to use the AC, and then generally only for 5-10 min. to get things settled while the interior warms up.
Keep the AC on, there's no real reason to turn it off as it doesn't use any more fuel like the old days.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Guys
Mine did exactly that, complete mist up, but only once. Combination of left on re-circulation too long and A/C turned off (I wasn't driving). Always use the A/C as it also lube's the A/C pump, fails if you don't and only use the re-circ during warm up !

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thinking about this issue, it is more likely to be caused by the driver than the car. In a cold car that has no condensation on the windscreen, the glass temperature and inside and outside temperatures will all be similar.

When you get in, you introduce heat from your body and moisture from the outside air or wet clothes if it has been raining. This increases both the humidity and air temperature inside the car and causes condensation to form on the colder glass. The effect is multiplied if 4 wet people get in.

So what do we do. We turn on the engine and set the HVAC controls to direct hot air at the windscreen. Not much happens at first but then as the air warms up, the condensation gets worse initially as the inside air temperature increases further. Eventually the hot air warms the glass and evaporates the condensation from the windscreen.

So, as has been said by some people, should we be cracking a window slightly and also directing cold air at the front screen maybe with air con? Any thoughts?

It's just annoying all the those times you get into a car with a clear screen and just as you set off condensation forms and you have to stop.

Sorry in advance, I am bit anal about this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone find the Up GTI real bad for condensation inside ?

My car is always garaged it's only when I finish my shift at night I've noticed the Condensation inside (Front Windscreen) is real bad
It's an inherent prob. from any "UP" my previous was an Hi UP, it was the same....... Does the back 'VW' badge on your hatch store water ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
my up gti had this but asda sell a little pillow thing thats sorts the air moisture out. Just stick it on a radiator every now and again to refresh it (dry it out). Never had bother since

·
Registered
508 Posts
Neither of our Tsi's had the problem, and we don't have the problem with the Gti either. We did have the issue with the wife's previous High Up temporarily, until I realised she'd left the ventilation slide control on "interior re-circulation".

21 - 35 of 35 Posts