Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
VW Cheer UP! 2013
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time lurker on the forum, however this my first post here. I found some threads discussing similar topics, but none of them I found conclusive.

Some of my friends pointed out to my that my UP’s exhaust system may have a small hole in it judging be the noise it makes.

I took it to my trusted VW service centre where the guys told me that the noise is coming from the middle silencer, but the system not leaking apparently. They quoted me 400 EUR (360 GBP) for the parts and labour to replace it.

Given that the car is under warranty by the dealer I bought it from, the insurance company providing the warranty has a list of service centres. My usual one wasn’t there.
I took it to one that was on their list and the guy said that this is how UPs sound like and there is no issue with the exhaust system whatsoever. And according to him the VW service centre just wants to charge for a new silencer. This based on some test drive snd a quick look underneath the car.

At this point I have no clue who to believe. I have the option to make peace with it or just take it to a third place suggested by the insurer that provides the warranty.

What would be your opinion? Have you experienced a similar issue with your UP?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello mate. That seems a huge amount to replace an exhaust system. I paid less than that to have a complete stainless one built and fitted to a Transporter. If it is not leaking I would live with it. These cars do make some peculiar noises at times and it could be that it is just the heat shield vibrating or coming loose, or some part internally in the middle silencer like a baffle loosening. As you say, at that cost I would make peace with it. I would certainly shop around though, when the time comes to replace it. I am sure you could find a cheaper and perhaps better alternative.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You may also want to ensure that your heatshield isn't loose - this was the case with my car and it did sound like my exhaust was about to crumble apart. MOT tester fixed it for free when the car passed, the car was about 10 times quieter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts