Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am trying to find out some info on the different models of UP!
I really want the high UP! In my life. They have leather features on steering wheel hanbrake and gear stick.
Im a vegan so dont want leather, i wrote to vw.co.uk and asked them would it be possible to change the leather bits.
I got a reply back saying that its not possible and that they recommend i picked the take UP or move UP which doent have leather.
Is this true? Does anyone know if these parts would be easy to get retrimed if i do go ahead with the high UP.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Wow. Ummm, you could replace the 'leather' bits with parts from a move up at your cost I'd imagine.
That said, I'm not convinced it's actually leather, I know the seats aren't. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just read the message again from vw and it doesnt explain any clearer than i started off.

They are saying leather like trim...is it or isnt it.
So a steering wheel from the take or move would not fit the high?!

Copy of email i got back.
Dear Miss Foster

Thank you for your recent contact in relation to alternative parts for a Volkswagen High up!. Please accept my apologies for the
delay in my response. I have tried to contact you on the telephone number on our system, without success.

I have spoken with our Product Marketing Team who has confirmed the leather like trim for the steering wheel, gear knob and
handbrake are a standard feature of this model and there is no alternative material available. I am sorry for any disappointment
this may cause.

There are alternative models within the up! range, which does not have leather as a standard feature. These can be found by
viewing our website, which enables you to configure the vehicle to your requirements. The website can be found by following the
link below:

·
Registered
171 Posts
The brochure says leather, not leather-like.

I'd bet you'd find someone(s) on this forum who'd be happy to swap their non-leather items with you. But of course, unless they were looking to get the leather versions anyway, the bovine impact would be the same.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The (not always reliable) Web site says leather, too (and it specifies "split-grain", so does mean real leather).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I can suggest to take a High Up and exchange leather parts to plastic ones with some forum member who have Move or Take Up!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The leather I have seen in Ups is faux leather in otherwords plastic they have it some Mercedes models ok till its a couple of years old and then it cracks and looks awful.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was worried about sticking to the seat on hot days which is why I passed on this. They do look nice though!

·
Registered
171 Posts
collos25 said:
The leather I have seen in Ups is faux leather in otherwords plastic
Is that the steering wheel/gear knob/handbrake grip, or just the leather-look seats?

D3ftones, since even VW on its own can't provide a consensus, your best bet would probably be to check a High(/Groove/Rock) up! at a dealership in person. My guess is that the brochure and Web site are correct, and a brain burp somewhere between VW's Product Marketing and customer service teams led to the letter saying "leather like".

Can't wait to collect my own High up! within hopefully a few short weeks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, all.
Its the steering wheel, handbrake and gear stick thats the problem for me.
I didnt think it was going to a problem for vw to change, especially now i know but not a100% just from what vw told me that the take and move doesnt have any leather bits.
I just thought vw could just use the bits from take or move and put in the high at cost to me which i dont mind.
Would the bits from move fit in the high anyway.
I have tried the config thing on vw site to try and get all the specs i want from the high but put into the move, but that was way too costly.
I guess i will just have to get retrimmed once i get the car.
Im just a bit dissapointed in vw for not being a bit more helpful.
Im getting better reasponses from the good folk on here, which is a god send.
Thanks to everyone for your help

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can definenatly buy car specific after market real leather gear and handbrake boot on German ebay I have them on a BMW very good quality.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Why don't you unpick the leather on the steering wheel and other bits and remove them when you get the car.

If you like the look then problem solved.

If not recover them in something you find acceptable.Edited by: Derkie54

1 - 15 of 15 Posts