Up Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just (literally yesterday!) bought a second hand VW Up! 2012 which came with the detachable sat-nav system. I managed to connect my phone via bluetooth easily and figure out how the maps worked. However, I wasn't able to get any audio playing through the car radio, and when I press the Media button on the sav-nav, everything is all greyed out. Can anyone help? I've never owned a VW before or used any system like this so I'm not sure what I'm missing here...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have just (literally yesterday!) bought a second hand VW Up! 2012 which came with the detachable sat-nav system. I managed to connect my phone via bluetooth easily and figure out how the maps worked. However, I wasn't able to get any audio playing through the car radio, and when I press the Media button on the sav-nav, everything is all greyed out. Can anyone help? I've never owned a VW before or used any system like this so I'm not sure what I'm missing here...
Make sure it is clicked into place properly where the “stalk” fits to the dashboard. Push a little around the sides of the stalk, you’ll probably hear a satisfying little extra click, and suddenly the grey be no more.
Hope that works for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure it is clicked into place properly where the “stalk” fits to the dashboard. Push a little around the sides of the stalk, you’ll probably hear a satisfying little extra click, and suddenly the grey be no more.
Hope that works for you.
That sort of worked! My radio is now showing the 'NAV' option and when I selected it, it allowed me to play the navigation audio and phone calls through the car radio. But the Media options on the sat-nav are still showing up as all greyed out and I've wiggled the sat-nav around quite a bit but it's not changing.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I don't know about radios from 2012, but on mine, the "media" button selects between "Aux" and "SD Card" - does yours have a slot for an SD Card or is this not relevant?

There have been a few reports of of bad contacts between the elbow that holds the Garmin, and the connector in the dashboard, and you say wiggling makes a difference - try cleaning the contacts on the elbow and the base with a cotton bud and some isopropyl alcohol (a fairly common solvent/de-greaser) or some "Electrolube" spray, which is similar (both on Amazon).

·
Registered
100 Posts
That sort of worked! My radio is now showing the 'NAV' option and when I selected it, it allowed me to play the navigation audio and phone calls through the car radio. But the Media options on the sat-nav are still showing up as all greyed out and I've wiggled the sat-nav around quite a bit but it's not changing.
Okay, another suggestion is to charge it fully.
Mine was low on power the other week and did something similar to what you’re describing. I think too many short trips meant it never got fully charged. I plugged it into the mains indoors overnight and it was back to normal the next day.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Not charging could still be poor contacts in the holder....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts